Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:01 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Based on how my question was worded. It is extremely obvious that I was talking about Manhattan and areas close to it. Extremely obvious.

When we think of "the city" we think of Manhattan.. not some crummy, lifeless neighborhood in the outskirts surrounded nothing.

This is just one of those situations where people have to use common sense.
Nope it isn't obviously you asked "Do most people in NYC have roommates?
You didn't ask Do most people in the city have roommates.
If you lived in NYC you'd know there is no lifeless neighborhood here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
It's getting kind of heavy in here so let me help clear the air. Also, I know Chriz from the DC forums and while I am not sticking up for him, I want to give some insight on possibly where he is coming from.

It’s all in the wording. As many may know, saying DC is basically to some as linking the immediate burbs of Arlington, Alexandria, and even as far as McLean- also noted as part of the "DC area".

Also, a big thing, DC folks pride themselves on having roommates. It's practically a common way of life. You have grown men and women well in their late 30s with prime time jobs owning 5 bedroom homes stacked with roommates. The culture in DC is to come starve and live on Ramen noodles while living with roommates- at the same time saving the world.

The main reason why, which is what I talk about with regards to the difference between the DC area and NY, is that unlike NY where you have less expensive and vibrant/cultural outlets within a 10 min commute to city center Manhattan, DC's surrounding area is expensive as heck. And once you pass the 15 mile radius beyond DC, while it may be cheaper, you lose the urban vibrancy that you would get by going deeper into the BX, Queens, and even long island. You get mostly quaint and history landmarks along with malls and plazas. I can leave Manhattan and hit up Hoboken in Jersey or even Valley stream in Long Island and feel like I am in a different area.

So with that said, carry on children...
So you came to the NYC forum to "help" out your buddy. LOL

Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So you came to the NYC forum to "help" out your buddy. LOL
Yeah, that's weird. And then he ends his post with "Carry on, children."

Old 03-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yeah, that's weird. And then he ends his post with "Carry on, children."
People are silly and think we don't know someone can have more than one account.
Obviously the OP likes to start debates and argue with people. Just another troll, I messed up and fed him.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why do you even care when you already made a very long thread about how unimpressive you believe NYC to be? //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...about-nyc.html

I don't get it. For someone so supposedly unimpressed with NYC, you seem pretty obsessed with it. I guess you are unhappy where you live and just trying to make yourself feel better by thinking that those NY residents who are not in the 1% must either live in ghettos or with their parents.
Wrong.

Saying that people exaggerate about NYC a lot does not mean I dislike NYC. I like NYC a lot. Also, I am very happy where I am now. But I was born in NYC so I will always keep an eye on it.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
You never asked how much I paid for rent. I clearly have no issue stating it as I must've said on a dozen threads what my rent was.
So what is it?

Old 03-28-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Nope it isn't obviously you asked "Do most people in NYC have roommates?
You didn't ask Do most people in the city have roommates.
If you lived in NYC you'd know there is no lifeless neighborhood here.
Wrong. There are definitely lifeless neighborhoods. Even relatively close to Manhattan. Even parts of Brooklyn can get pretty dead at night where you only see one or two other people on the street at 8PM and you are the ONLY person in the subway station at 9PM. So maybe you need to explore your city more.

Nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City