Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,481 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I would like to move out of Astoria. We have been renting here for the past 8 years and we would like to buy a place. We can afford to spend up to 400K. Here are our priorities:

1) Safety
2) Safety
3) Safety
4) Good schools
5) No more than 1 hour commute from the city

I am well aware that such a place is nowhere to be found within the city boundaries, therefore we are open to go any direction: NJ, LI, Westchester. It doesn't matter to us. After all, we are not interested anymore about bars, arts, music, etc. All we are looking for is a place that we can own, family oriented, calm, clean. We would like to avoid a condo, we might consider a townhouse. Ideally we would like a single home.

Does such a place exist?

Thank you for your help!

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 03:23 PM

87 posts, read 93,661 times
consider valley stream ( central or south) or lynbrook, both are pretty diverse and safe family oriented places with good schools, i was in your shoes last year ... PM if you need more info

Old 03-20-2016, 03:26 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Cold Springs!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:45 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
What's wrong with Astoria? Is it crime-ridden?

Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What's wrong with Astoria? Is it crime-ridden?
Did you not even bother to read the OP post????

They want to buy and can't afford there.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
North Bronx.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dfather View Post
consider valley stream ( central or south) or lynbrook, both are pretty diverse and safe family oriented places with good schools, i was in your shoes last year ... PM if you need more info
Are there acceptable houses in the good parts of Valley Stream and Lynbrook selling for OP's $400K budget?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM

62 posts, read 213,784 times
You'll probably get more responses if you post in the New York state forum (and the NJ and LI forums) rather than in the NYC forum.

I moved my family out of Astoria a few years ago with more or less the same requirements. We chose Nanuet, in Rockland County, and have been very happy here. Really miss the food in Astoria though. Homes available at your price, safe, good schools. The train commute is an hour if you get the express train, otherwise it's 70-80 minutes -- plus however long it takes you to get to the train station from home and to the office from Penn. Visiting Astoria by car on the weekend takes maybe 40-45 minutes.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:58 PM

29 posts, read 46,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusto16 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I would like to move out of Astoria. We have been renting here for the past 8 years and we would like to buy a place. We can afford to spend up to 400K. Here are our priorities:

1) Safety
2) Safety
3) Safety
4) Good schools
5) No more than 1 hour commute from the city

I am well aware that such a place is nowhere to be found within the city boundaries, therefore we are open to go any direction: NJ, LI, Westchester. It doesn't matter to us. After all, we are not interested anymore about bars, arts, music, etc. All we are looking for is a place that we can own, family oriented, calm, clean. We would like to avoid a condo, we might consider a townhouse. Ideally we would like a single home.

Does such a place exist?

Thank you for your help!

Rob
We are in the same boat except for the part about schools, which is why we are looking at Yonkers. I am finding plenty of SFHs in the nicer parts of Yonkers in the 400K range. However, I hear the schools there suck. In the North Bronx, we are considering Pelham Bay and Morris Park - again, plenty of options in the price range, but I don't know about schools.

The problem with finding a place in Westchester in a good school district is that the taxes will be breathtakingly high. Even in Yonkers, I'm looking at 6-9K. Many other parts of Westchester will be more like 15-20K. It's painful, and even the fact that you won't be paying NYC tax anymore barely makes a dent.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:26 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Check on Queens Village, NY zip code of 11428 and 11429 and 11427. Some of the houses are one single family house, but they are likely to be built in 1920 or 1930. The neighborhood is quiet, and school ain't that bad. Plus, you are still close to the city, which mean you can save some money on taking mta bus. I hope this help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City