Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:41 PM

562 posts, read 462,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
My aunt left me an inheritance when she passed. Of course I accepted it and used it for the purposes I wanted to.

Help from relatives, whether in the form of money, free housing, makes substantial difference in the lives of the person receiving help. Maybe his uncle will leave the house to him one day.

All you can do is hate out of jealously.
There is absolutely NO reason for me to be jealous. I am power of attorney for my aunt and she has a beautiful home on LI, near the water. Needless to say, I have already been informed that I will inherit a sizable amount of her estate. My point is, I do not need to use my aunt, or anyone else, I am able to pay my own way. It's one thing to inherit property, but a total different thing to become a leech.

The OP is trying to get free housing for himself and his gf (at his uncle's expense). I don't recall him mentioning his source of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's a lot of construction right now. The same people bashing Jamaica now would have bashed LIC 4 years ago, and now LIC is an area they can't even afford.
Irrespective of the high priced - high rises, LIC is still largely undesirable to bona fide New Yorkers.

Manhattan and Brooklyn --YASS! Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island - No!

Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 AM

436 posts, read 563,386 times
LIC is predominantly married or older professionals/rich people and a very poor representation of Queens. The place is quiet and sterile for a reason.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM

306 posts, read 282,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Irrespective of the high priced - high rises, LIC is still largely undesirable to bona fide New Yorkers.

Manhattan and Brooklyn --YASS! Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island - No!

you are simply RIDICULOUS , Queens has more good neighborhoods than Brooklyn , Queens has less crimes , less poverty , the vast majority of Queens areas are solid middle class , Brooklyn is definitely not better than Queens

Old 05-26-2016, 12:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
There is absolutely NO reason for me to be jealous. I am power of attorney for my aunt and she has a beautiful home on LI, near the water. Needless to say, I have already been informed that I will inherit a sizable amount of her estate. My point is, I do not need to use my aunt, or anyone else, I am able to pay my own way. It's one thing to inherit property, but a total different thing to become a leech.

The OP is trying to get free housing for himself and his gf (at his uncle's expense). I don't recall him mentioning his source of employment.
What goes on between this man and his uncle is none of your business.

I mean you can call him names if it makes you feel better, but he is still staying with his uncle, for FREE, and he isn't going to listen to you.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Now I get it why you're in academia. lol
Inheritances are fine (my brother and I will probably inherit something substantial from our parents, although I tell my parents to just use it up all for themselves) but you're a loser to claim that others just hate.

If you received an inheritance, be grateful and shut up about it. That would be the normal thing to do.
I mentioned getting an inheritance in this context because people do have major step ups in life when they get family support and/or inheritance. The OP will have a much easier time establishing himself in NYC because of this free rent from his uncle.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,291,437 times
You can't win for trying huh? First people will tell you that you are nuts to move to NYC because it is one step above hell. Mind you they have been living here for years and have no intentions of moving. Then they would have you belive that Jamaica is little Iraq (but they haven't live there just hearsays). Let's not get into the pills, alcholism/DUI and heroine epidemic in the suburbs. Then there ia something negative to say because a family member offered to help so that you can get a leg up in the city.

OP I hope that you have learnt to follow your dream within reasons and never let keyboard warriors detract you from your goals.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post
you are simply RIDICULOUS , Queens has more good neighborhoods than Brooklyn , Queens has less crimes , less poverty , the vast majority of Queens areas are solid middle class , Brooklyn is definitely not better than Queens

Don't mind me, that was my attempt at humor. I was born in Queens.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM

306 posts, read 282,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywriterdude View Post
what goes on between this man and his uncle is none of your business.

I mean you can call him names if it makes you feel better, but he is still staying with his uncle, for free, and he isn't going to listen to you.
well said , well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City