Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 PM

29 posts, read 17,918 times

Advertisements

sorry, had to repost this here..

Ok so we're a NorCal urban hipster type couple considering a move to Jamaica NY. Why Jamaica? Well we didn't pick Jamaica..it kinda picked us. My Uncle's family dynamics has recently changed and he offered us to live with him rent free for a couple of years (assuming we like it and decide to stay ofcourse). We are seriously considering the offer as girl is in the fashion business and I need the change myself.

Here's the details: We are an interracial couple (blk/wht) and have visited my uncle several times in Jamacia. Ofcourse the Bay area is profoundly different in that it is RACIALLY mixed..even in the most distressed neighborhoods, you will find a multi racial (not just multi ethnic) make up of many, if not most neighborhoods.

While we are being offered free board, I have to be honest and say, the fact that Jamaica (atleast the part where my uncle lives and its surrounding areas) appears to be almost exclusively black. I happen to be black myself but having never lived in an all-black neighborhood before, I find it a bit jarring not to see any non-blacks about. On this point let me stress that if you want to comment, please make it a sensible one , lets avoid the usual traps about why I don't like to live with other blacks etc etc, lets just say I am more comfortable being in a multi-racial environment having lived my entire life that way.

The other issue is my girl stands out quite a lot..lets just say she is "above average" in her looks, and what I am trying to think ahead about is, will she be ok taking mass transit, especially AFTER she gets off the metro in Queensand have to wait for a bus to get to my uncles house..YES there is Uber, but I don't know if we can do Uber on a daily basis. Its going to take a while for us to get our bearings obviously.

My overall assessment of visiting Jamaica on previous trips is that the folks are pretty much "live and let live", but I hadn't visited with my girl before so hence my line of questioning.

My girl is a haute couture designer from Europe and we both think NY is the a shoe-in for her career. As for me, I was self employed for a long while and I am thinking of perhaps driving a cab, if that is entirely possible in NYC. Any cab drivers reading this ?

Ofcourse one has to lose some in order to gain in other areas, we have travelled a bit so its not our first move..just never moved domestically, mostly international.

Basically we're thinking of trying it out for 3-4 months to see how it goes on the job front, and if we can successfully make the transition. Obviously if we are both lucky enough to be land decent employment, we plan to move out to a closer place to Manhattan...but that's entirely another thread.

Advice cheerfully accepted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
I wouldn't live in Jamaica, way too many pervs there especially in the subway.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
The bus transfer is always very busy at all hours, so it's not like she's going to be waiting at some desolate street corner late at night. Now getting off the bus, well, you'd have see how safe she feels in the area.

It sounds like your uncle lives in South Jamaica. Jamaica itself is very diverse (and also, walking distance to the subway). South of the LIRR tracks, you get into South Jamaica, which is mostly black and basically requires you to take a bus to reach the subway.

South Jamaica isn't exactly the greatest area. Is it the worst area? No, but it definitely sees more crime than the average NYC area.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
sorry, had to repost this here..

Ok so we're a NorCal urban hipster type couple considering a move to Jamaica NY. Why Jamaica? Well we didn't pick Jamaica..it kinda picked us. My Uncle's family dynamics has recently changed and he offered us to live with him rent free for a couple of years (assuming we like it and decide to stay ofcourse). We are seriously considering the offer as girl is in the fashion business and I need the change myself.

Here's the details: We are an interracial couple (blk/wht) and have visited my uncle several times in Jamacia. Ofcourse the Bay area is profoundly different in that it is RACIALLY mixed..even in the most distressed neighborhoods, you will find a multi racial (not just multi ethnic) make up of many, if not most neighborhoods.

While we are being offered free board, I have to be honest and say, the fact that Jamaica (atleast the part where my uncle lives and its surrounding areas) appears to be almost exclusively black. I happen to be black myself but having never lived in an all-black neighborhood before, I find it a bit jarring not to see any non-blacks about. On this point let me stress that if you want to comment, please make it a sensible one , lets avoid the usual traps about why I don't like to live with other blacks etc etc, lets just say I am more comfortable being in a multi-racial environment having lived my entire life that way.

The other issue is my girl stands out quite a lot..lets just say she is "above average" in her looks, and what I am trying to think ahead about is, will she be ok taking mass transit, especially AFTER she gets off the metro in Queensand have to wait for a bus to get to my uncles house..YES there is Uber, but I don't know if we can do Uber on a daily basis. Its going to take a while for us to get our bearings obviously.

My overall assessment of visiting Jamaica on previous trips is that the folks are pretty much "live and let live", but I hadn't visited with my girl before so hence my line of questioning.

My girl is a haute couture designer from Europe and we both think NY is the a shoe-in for her career. As for me, I was self employed for a long while and I am thinking of perhaps driving a cab, if that is entirely possible in NYC. Any cab drivers reading this ?

Ofcourse one has to lose some in order to gain in other areas, we have travelled a bit so its not our first move..just never moved domestically, mostly international.

Basically we're thinking of trying it out for 3-4 months to see how it goes on the job front, and if we can successfully make the transition. Obviously if we are both lucky enough to be land decent employment, we plan to move out to a closer place to Manhattan...but that's entirely another thread.

Advice cheerfully accepted
She might very well feel uncomfortable, given her attractiveness and potentially the sophisticated way she is going to be dressed. I guess you could make the move and just deal with it for a while, if the dream is to move to NY and this is the way you can make it work financially.

There are worse things than feeling uncomfortable -- like feeling unsafe. If she simply feels uncomfortable but not threatened, then she may be able to learn to live with it, if it furthers the chance to make the dream come true.

I (white person) went into a Spanish-speaking medical office today with a seemingly all Spanish-speaking clientele in a very mixed neighborhood (not my doctor; I was in there for a different reason). I felt uncomfortable like I was being given the once-over by the patients waiting. However, I also realize it was just my perception and there was no threat involved. Maybe they were looking at me because they were bored waiting and they would have looked at anyone who came in. I guess my point is sometimes we feel like we don't fit in for some reason, but we can also brush off that feeling and live with it, provided nothing more sinister is going to happen.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,298,653 times
I find this post amusing and cute. I admire the fact that you view your lady as drop dead stunning. So much so it would release the inner perv of some residents. She may just move here and be viewed as a strong 6 and not the strong 9 you think she is.
Anyways if your lady wants to launch a career in fashion NYC is where it is. I have a biracial (black dad /white mom) friend who was born here and raised in france. She is to me drop dead gorgeous with perfect skin and speaks with a french accent that sounds so cute. She is also well educated with an amazing job that requires her to travel alot. Think every month intl trips. Japan, Australia, Morroco, Europe etc. She moved to Jamaica because she was priced out of Brooklyn.
She initially hated it because she likes to have access to restaurants, bars, museums etc.
She eventually made peace since this is what she could comfortably afford without roommates. She never once said she was harrased or felt unsafe walking on the streets. You don't get free room and board in a major city like NYC. If you don't like it the worse thing that can happen is that you move back.
And get a better job than driving cabs. NYC and the fashion industry has somewhat of an aspirational quality. Cab driving boyfriend isn't going to sound too sexy when your chick starts hanging out with her new equally glamorous coworkers.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 03-23-2016 at 01:17 AM..

Old 03-23-2016, 01:15 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,298,653 times
P.s if you don't have to worry about paying for housing you can splurge on the LIRR if your uncle lives close to a stop. Cuts down on the commute time to Manhattan and the need to take the bus from Jamaica. I always take the LIRR to the city or drive in if it is after 8pm and I don't plan on drinking.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 17,918 times
thanks guys for chippin-in with your thoughts...other quite thorny issues if you'll indulge me..the "safeway" type food chain stores ive come across offerd little variety in terms of greeny produce and other stuff like low-fat this or that. Yes we did track down a Trader Joe's but it was very small and quite a drive to get there..we're not expecting a high-end variety of organic foods but just produce that looks fresh so anyway I kept hoping from one chain store to the next..ofcourse trying to buy wine, and finding the right place that sells it, and one that carries enough brands that you will find aleast one you like, well, a major challenge I have to say.

To answer specific questions though..yes my uncles place is located in south Jamaica.

Loveofnyc- While my girl is not the generic standard-issued model type (tall and ultra skinny) trust me when i tell you she will get stares (and often times inquiries of where'd you get this or that) on a daily basis..wether in san francisco or spain. Her style is not easy to duplicate, requires a lot of attention to detail..and I dare say, she's been told she has a beautiful symmetrical face and I dare say, body to match..for the record hehe. Last but not least, yeah driving a cab is not glamorous at all but hopefully it will be temporary until I can releaunch and re-invent myself in nyc.

One other current concern we'd like to share- obviously she is intending to take all her tools (sewing machines, fabrics, other tools of the trade, does anyone offer crafty tips on how we can pack it safely? We are planning to pay excess luggage and just take it with us.

On the plus side ofcourse we are so much closer to europe, so quick & reasonably priced getaway's may be possible..above all I think she feels that nyc most closely resembles a European city, more so than all the other states ive seen...in terms of the vibe, the fast paced attitude of people, central park etc. While we are not expecting "london level" nightlife, I am certain its better overall than the now transformed sterile and squeaky-clean nerd heaven we call san francisco.

Last edited by 1on1; 03-23-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 PM

For groceries, you could drive to a place like Fairway in Douglaston. I also know people in Queens who regularly drive to the Trader Joes and Whole Foods located on Long Island. I guess you'd want to do that when traffic is light, like a Sunday morning. You could also get delivery from Fresh Direct. (Check the website to see if they deliver to your uncle's zip code).

Also, for produce that is cheap and fresh, most likely you can find an area within Queens that has good produce markets -- won't be as pricey as Whole Foods and Fresh Direct. I don't know South Jamaica at all but seems to me I've been to areas like Richmond Hill and found many cheap and good produce markets. (It was a while ago so I can't be sure that's where I was, but there are areas that have decent produce markets and you will just have to explore to find the good ones).

Old 03-23-2016, 08:12 PM

436 posts, read 564,728 times
thanks guys for chippin-in with your thoughts...other quite thorny issues if you'll indulge me..the "safeway" type food chain stores ive come across offer little variety in terms of produce and "healthy eating", yes we did track down a Trader Joe's but it was tiny and quite a drive to get there..we're not expecting a high-end variety of organic foods but just produce that looks fresh so anyway I kept hoping from one chain store to the next..ofcourse trying to buy wine, and finding the right place that sells it, and one that carries enough brands that you will find aleast one you like, well, a major challenge I have to say.

You're hardly going to find any good retail in Jamaica. That's one of the major problems with southeastern Queens in general. And if you're talking about the Trader Joe's off Metropolitan Ave...it's really not that far away. It's certainly closer than some of the places that Henna mentioned above.

In any case, this seems temporary at best so I'm sure you'll be fine; although I do wonder about the kind of reactions your partner will get in these parts. I don't have much faith in some of the local residents when it comes to that (and other unrelated things).

Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
thanks guys for chippin-in with your thoughts...other quite thorny issues if you'll indulge me..the "safeway" type food chain stores ive come across offer little variety in terms of produce and "healthy eating", yes we did track down a Trader Joe's but it was tiny and quite a drive to get there..we're not expecting a high-end variety of organic foods but just produce that looks fresh so anyway I kept hoping from one chain store to the next..ofcourse trying to buy wine, and finding the right place that sells it, and one that carries enough brands that you will find aleast one you like, well, a major challenge I have to say.

You're hardly going to find any good retail in Jamaica. That's one of the major problems with southeastern Queens in general. And if you're talking about the Trader Joe's off Metropolitan Ave...it's really not that far away. It's certainly closer than some of the places that Henna mentioned above.

In any case, this seems temporary at best so I'm sure you'll be fine; although I do wonder about the kind of reactions your partner will get in these parts. I don't have much faith in some of the local residents when it comes to that (and other unrelated things).

Well supposedly according to Google map, the Douglaston Fairway is only 20 minutes drive from South Jamaica, the same as the Trader Joes in Rego Park. But you're right, the Trader Joes is only 5 miles (it just takes 20 minutes or more to get there due to all the traffic lights, etc.) Fairway I guess is only 20 minutes due to the Cross Island, although if you take the Cross Island at the wrong time, that can take a long time too.

Retail is not going to be great in that area. The other option is doing what many people without cars do, which is buy the groceries in Manhattan and bring home on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City