Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 AM

62 posts, read 120,984 times

Advertisements

I called Dial 7 as mentioned elsewhere and they charge $34 + 8 toll + tip total. I don't think that is too bad. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 02:48 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
The New York City "Airporter" van service. Cost from LGA to your hotel one way is $14.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:17 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If you plan on visiting Queens, I would recommend the Queens Museum of Art, especially the New York Panorama. It's a huge scale model of the entire city of New York. If you want to get an idea of the size and layout of the entire city, it's a great way to do it.
I second that. The other museum I suggest in Queens is the Museum of The Moving Image which gives one a great overview of the movie industry which started here in NYC before a good chunk of it moved to Hollywood.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:18 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i liked that museum too

Old 06-04-2016, 06:47 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Do not forget a night trip on the Staten Island Ferry, some of the best views you will find.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:35 PM

272 posts, read 534,405 times
Ok, here's my 2 cents on this.
1. Whatever you do forget the Statue of Liberty unless your idea of a good time is wasting a day.
2. Central Park is a must. Do it on a weekend day so you can catch things like the disco rollerskating and the remote control sailboats on the little park and the live music at the little concession stand across from the remote control boats.
3. If you want cheap eats go to Dallas BBQ. You also want to check out a good diner. You will find reviews everywhere online for them.
4. Go to the highline for picture taking. You are 30 feet above the ground slicing through a part of the city.
5. Take a short trip over to Roosevelt Island via the tram and check out the park there. The island is like a 1 horse town in NYC. And be sure to understand that it's part of Manhattan even though vehicular access is from queens. Once you are done there go down to the subway and take the "F" train to Forest Hills. When you arrive go 2 blocks south (under the LIRR overpass) into Forest Hills Gardens. It's a truly unique part of the city. Many TV shows and films are shot there. You will be at the western most part of it. Heading east in the gardens will take you to gobbs of mansions.
6. People don't talk about it much but one of the great sites is to go up to the top of the empire state building to the observation level. It's the original you know.
7. Don't forget to pop down to 23rd st on the east site and take a pic or two at the flat iron building. While you are down there you can go to the original location of Shake Shack in the park for burgers OR to Gimaldis on 6th and 21st (approx.) for some great pizza.
8. If it's a warm day and you want to get out of the city for a break take the LIRR Long Beach line to Long beach. You will find a beautiful beach with a 2.2 mile boardwalk and plenty of restaurants and bars for non-she she foo foo food.
---------
Well that's just a few ideas for you. Let me know if you use any and find them enjoyable.
CD007

Old 06-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The New York City "Airporter" van service. Cost from LGA to your hotel one way is $14.
That's a fixed rate?

Old 06-05-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Dweller_007 View Post
Ok, here's my 2 cents on this.
1. Whatever you do forget the Statue of Liberty unless your idea of a good time is wasting a day.
2. Central Park is a must. Do it on a weekend day so you can catch things like the disco rollerskating and the remote control sailboats on the little park and the live music at the little concession stand across from the remote control boats.
3. If you want cheap eats go to Dallas BBQ. You also want to check out a good diner. You will find reviews everywhere online for them.
4. Go to the highline for picture taking. You are 30 feet above the ground slicing through a part of the city.
5. Take a short trip over to Roosevelt Island via the tram and check out the park there. The island is like a 1 horse town in NYC. And be sure to understand that it's part of Manhattan even though vehicular access is from queens. Once you are done there go down to the subway and take the "F" train to Forest Hills. When you arrive go 2 blocks south (under the LIRR overpass) into Forest Hills Gardens. It's a truly unique part of the city. Many TV shows and films are shot there. You will be at the western most part of it. Heading east in the gardens will take you to gobbs of mansions.
6. People don't talk about it much but one of the great sites is to go up to the top of the empire state building to the observation level. It's the original you know.
7. Don't forget to pop down to 23rd st on the east site and take a pic or two at the flat iron building. While you are down there you can go to the original location of Shake Shack in the park for burgers OR to Gimaldis on 6th and 21st (approx.) for some great pizza.
8. If it's a warm day and you want to get out of the city for a break take the LIRR Long Beach line to Long beach. You will find a beautiful beach with a 2.2 mile boardwalk and plenty of restaurants and bars for non-she she foo foo food.
---------
Well that's just a few ideas for you. Let me know if you use any and find them enjoyable.
CD007
Thank you!!!

I had planned on Top of the Rock but thought about Empire, I know that you can get to the second level of Top of the rock where there is no glass. Nice long exposure night shots. Would it be redundant to take in both?

Central Park is a must and on the list. I have a list of reviewed restaurants and Dallas BBQ and the Shake Shack are both there as well. High line and and flatiron building are there, I am researching Forest Hills now...I considered Coney Island for the boardwalk experience- ever been there? Long Beach nicer?

Again I appreciate everyone's feedback and tips!!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis689 View Post
Thank you!!!

I had planned on Top of the Rock but thought about Empire, I know that you can get to the second level of Top of the rock where there is no glass. Nice long exposure night shots. Would it be redundant to take in both?

Central Park is a must and on the list. I have a list of reviewed restaurants and Dallas BBQ and the Shake Shack are both there as well. High line and and flatiron building are there, I am researching Forest Hills now...I considered Coney Island for the boardwalk experience- ever been there? Long Beach nicer?

Dallas BBQ is good, but I wouldn't recommend going there as a tourist, I'm sure it's not much different from any other chain BBQ place.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis689 View Post
Thank you!!!

I too think that Forest Hills Gardens is a beautiful cozy European style village like location in NYC and worthwhile visiting. There is a newly opened Shake Shack on Austin Street in Forest Hills as well.

Coney Island is a nice long boardwalk with various attractions which include the NY Aquarium, Nathan's Hot Dogs and the Amusement Park including the famous roller coaster besides the ocean views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City