Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times

Advertisements

This assuming you already have a car.

I live in Queens and in the past would drive to the L train line, park my car, then commute into midtown manhattan via subway. Lately I just can't stand dealing with crowded trains, delays, loud obnoxious teens, beggars, smelly homeless people, etc. Instead I've been driving into work and parking at a lot across the street that offers our company a discount of $13/day. Yes its $7.50 more per day not including gas but I have made some spending adjustments. Rather than buy breakfast as I use to I now eat breakfast at home and take my coffee with me to go and drink it in the car on my way to work. Usually breakfast and coffee would run be around $5.00. Rather than spending the usual $8-$10 on lunch I know limit it to no more than $6-$7. that's another $2-$4 I'm saving to balance out the cost of driving in. Those 2 adjustments made up for the difference in transportation cost minus the cost of gas which isn't much as I drive a very economical vehicle.

I guess my question is, if in my shoes, would any of you do the same in order to not deal with the hassles and drama of the NYC subway system or is saving the money more important to you while dealing with your subway commutes?

There is no right or wrong to this question. Just curious on the different point of views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 09:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
This assuming you already have a car.

I live in Queens and in the past would drive to the L train line, park my car, then commute into midtown manhattan via subway. Lately I just can't stand dealing with crowded trains, delays, loud obnoxious teens, beggars, smelly homeless people, etc. Instead I've been driving into work and parking at a lot across the street that offers our company a discount of $13/day. Yes its $7.50 more per day not including gas but I have made some spending adjustments. Rather than buy breakfast as I use to I now eat breakfast at home and take my coffee with me to go and drink it in the car on my way to work. Usually breakfast and coffee would run be around $5.00. Rather than spending the usual $8-$10 on lunch I know limit it to no more than $6-$7. that's another $2-$4 I'm saving to balance out the cost of driving in. Those 2 adjustments made up for the difference in transportation cost minus the cost of gas which isn't much as I drive a very economical vehicle.

I guess my question is, if in my shoes, would any of you do the same in order to not deal with the hassles and drama of the NYC subway system or is saving the money more important to you while dealing with your subway commutes?

There is no right or wrong to this question. Just curious on the different point of views.
The dealbreaker is the traffic. You can get a monthly parking spot for $300-$400 per month but it's traffic that kills you. I'd rather not deal with it and take the train or even bicycle. I take the car into Manhattan on weeknights and weekends

But I hear what you're saying, De Blasio has been completely abdicating the city's responsibility to clean and safe trains. They are not issuing any more summons so what you have is triple the number of beggars, and every other subway car is vomit or **** soaked because they let the homeless sleep on trains now

Old 03-25-2016, 09:59 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,035 times
I do something similar, my job is within the same borough. I pay for parking, $165 a month, otherwise it's $12 a day, and obvious car expenses. I eat fruits for breakfast, and bring lunch almost everyday. You would be surprised bt replacing fruits with coffee, those natural sugars get your day started as well.

I can't stand the MTA, only use it like 3 times a year when I need to run into the city, and I make sure it's not around rush hour.

I could probably live without a car at all, but I'm trying to avoid public transportation at all costs.

See if the lot you park in has monthly deals, otherwise I would be paying $12 by the day.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The dealbreaker is the traffic. You can get a monthly parking spot for $300-$400 per month but it's traffic that kills you. I'd rather not deal with it and take the train or even bicycle. I take the car into Manhattan on weeknights and weekends

But I hear what you're saying, De Blasio has been completely abdicating the city's responsibility to clean and safe trains. They are not issuing any more summons so what you have is triple the number of beggars, and every other subway car is vomit or **** soaked because they let the homeless sleep on trains now
My commute time is pretty much the same whether I drove or take the subway. About 45 minutes from door to door. Lucky for me that from where I live I can avoid highways and take local back streets to the Williamsburg bridge.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
I'm a car owner and, for me, the answer is an emphatic "no."

It's just not feasible when there's multiple, more cost-effective options at my disposal to get to my office in Midtown (subway, Metro-North, express bus) - without dealing with the stresses of rush-hour traffic and parking twice a day, 10 times a week.

NYC (specifically Manhattan) just isn't a car-friendly town.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:49 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
I live and work in Queens. I turn down a job in Manhattan even though the pay would be slightly higher simply because I didn't want to deal with the ills of NYC Public transportation everyday. I either drive to work, or walk, depending on the weather.

Manhattan is easily the worst place in the country to drive around in, by a long shot.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:14 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Manhattan is easily the worst place in the country to drive around in, by a long shot.
Boston is a lot worse, San Fran is pretty bad too

Old 03-25-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Boston is a lot worse, San Fran is pretty bad too
Add L.A to that list.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
No, tis why I live and work in Manhattan. I'd have a car if I -needed- it, but I've organized my life around never needing a car again.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I live and work in Queens. I turn down a job in Manhattan even though the pay would be slightly higher simply because I didn't want to deal with the ills of NYC Public transportation everyday. I either drive to work, or walk, depending on the weather.

While I agree to an extent, after a few months of experimenting I found a route from the Penn Station Area to the Williamsburg Bridge that is pretty smooth. Here and there I'll hit a little traffic snag on the side streets leading to the bridge but for the most part its not bad at all. Traffic heading in the opposite direction (north) is a lot worse!

I leave work at 5pm. I constantly pull up to the front of my house in Queens by 5:50pm. Give or take 5 minutes. Not to mention I have to exit my building, walk to the garage, pay the attendant and go fetch my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City