Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Why call the cops on them? I think they make some great entertainment!
I find it sad that you think mental illness verging on violence is entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 PM

593 posts, read 470,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquring81 View Post
... and yes, I'll switch cars at the next station.
I get off at the next station and wait for the next train. I used to just switch cars, but sometimes the unstable person would also switch to the same car, and I would have to endure his/her behavior a second time. I agree that it would be better to report these individuals, so they can be removed from the subway system. Presumably, they also did not pay the fare.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 PM

478 posts, read 774,190 times
"Attention passengers. All mentally unstable riders are requested to get off at the next stop. We appreciatate the patience of the remaining passenger. Thank you for riding with the MTA."

Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
How do the authorities investigate reports of the mentally ill?

When a dangerous situation is on a NYC subway....

If the conductor is notified he will radio ahead and IIRC dispatch will then contact NYPD who will be waiting at next station. Train will not move until Po-Po arrive.

This and or if the motorman is informed/becomes aware he will pull into the next station but not open the doors; a series of short horn blows follows which is a universal rail signal for a train in distress. This on top of contacting dispatch will bring LE. Also believe by MTA rules or whatever motorman isn't allowed to open his door/get out of his cab unless for certain situations. This makes sense as we have seen with 9/11/01 and even before.... Anyone who gets into the cab of a subway can start and move that train with serious consequences (Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3). The film of course is fiction but never the less.....

Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was riding the E today in a car that had a guy incoherently shouting and waving his cane in the air and slamming it down on the floor. I did just take my chances and continue riding in that car, mostly because I wasn't close enough to either end of the car to run out and get in the next one. He wasn't hitting anyone with his cane (yet) but I felt things could possibly turn ugly.

Is there a way to report this kind of thing to the MTA while you're on the train?

There are tons homeless suffering from paranoid schizophrenia both above and below ground; what do you expect the MTA to do?

Me personally do the same thing as was taught/done; move away and or avoid. If someone is truly dangerous (such as waving a machete or other sharp/dangerous object), you call the PoPo. If on a subway train get up and move and or find the conductor and inform.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
what do you expect the MTA to do?
Oh, you're right, silly me. If I see a potentially dangerous situation I think the authorities should be aware of, I'll just shut up and say nothing because "what do I expect the MTA to do"

In fact, nothing IS what I have always done -- when there were ranting, raving lunatics in subway cars, I have never reported it. Well, I just decided that some of them should be reported (like the situation I described where the guy seemed to be about to use his cane as a weapon) especially since there have been multiple incidences of slashings lately by unhinged people that maybe could have been prevented if authorities had been notified before the situation got out of hand.

That's why I started this thread.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Oh, you're right, silly me. If I see a potentially dangerous situation I think the authorities should be aware of, I'll just shut up and say nothing because "what do I expect the MTA to do"

In fact, nothing IS what I have always done -- when there were ranting, raving lunatics in subway cars, I have never reported it. Well, I just decided that some of them should be reported (like the situation I described where the guy seemed to be about to use his cane as a weapon) especially since there have been multiple incidences of slashings lately by unhinged people that maybe could have been prevented if authorities had been notified before the situation got out of hand.

That's why I started this thread.

And you have been given your answer.....

The MTA/NYCT is concerned with safe operation of its trains and passenger safety. However it has not statutory authority to arrest, detain, or whatever suspicious persons. That falls to NYPD. Metro North would be different because they *do* have their own police force but we aren't on that right now.

Again if you "see something say something" but to either a NYPD officer or tell the conductor who will handle things from there. www.nycsubway.org: Subway FAQ: Radio Codes

Here is the basic job description for a NYCT subway conductor: OpportunityNYCHA

Do you see anything in there giving them the direct authority to detain or whatever passengers behaving oddly?

But hey if you are feeling like Wonder Woman... here ya go: Man Takes Down Disorderly Train Passenger (Video)

Old 03-28-2016, 10:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
And you have been given your answer.....

Do you see anything in there giving them the direct authority to detain or whatever passengers behaving oddly?

But hey if you are feeling like Wonder Woman... here ya go: Man Takes Down Disorderly Train Passenger (Video)
OMG... That take down was hilarious I could not stop laughing.....lol....��...��...lol...

Last edited by beanniebaby7; 03-28-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Until his cane kisses your head, you would wake up to realize that your safety is worth much more than such cheap entertainment...
Well, what do cops do? Statistically speaking, many of these people are hurt or even killed by cops. It's quite sad, really. Neither the NYPD and much less the MTA are trained to handle the mentally ill.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Well, what do cops do? Statistically speaking, many of these people are hurt or even killed by cops. It's quite sad, really. Neither the NYPD and much less the MTA are trained to handle the mentally ill.
True agree with your post, believe me if a mentally ill person is acting out, the subway car has plenty of room to stay far away
even if the train was overcrowded. I would find a way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City