Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Again all EMTs engage in sort of triage; they will determine the nature of severity then make decisions.

Do bribes enter the equation? A patient brought into a hospital can result in tens of thousands being billed. These decisions involve BIG money.

Remember the TV series called THE KNICK where all the NYC ambulance drivers were on the take, making good money from bribes from hospital administrators? Fact or fiction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:08 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Do bribes enter the equation? A patient brought into a hospital can result in tens of thousands being billed. These decisions involve BIG money.

Remember the TV series called THE KNICK where all the NYC ambulance drivers were on the take, making good money from bribes from hospital administrators? Fact or fiction?

Why would it? Unless the person in question is also going to disclose what type of insurance and or financial situation EMT has no idea nor would a hospital.

Depending upon what is wrong with you it could be some time before anyone at the hospital's ER or elsewhere gets around to asking about payment. However once you are in that ER you become the responsibility of said facility.

The remark has often been made that the only way uninsured, Medicaid, poor, or whatever persons are going to get into the top private hospitals (Lenox Hill, NYP, Mount Sinai, etc... ) is via the ER.

People of means who don't want to be in a certain hospital can arrange a transfer afterwards. Depending upon what sort of emergency caused them to be brought to the ER via ambulance they can either discharge themselves and quickly be readmitted to whatever hospital through their own physician. Or once their condition is stable enough arrange for a transfer via ambulance.

All this being said I'd offer whatever it took in at least an attempt not to be taken to some places; Lincoln hospital in the Bronx would be one.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:17 AM

353 posts, read 471,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I was asked by the ambulance "workers"
They are Emergency medical technicians and/or Paramedics.

Why would you call them "workers" as if they have no skill to save your life?

Old 03-28-2016, 01:57 PM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
They are Emergency medical technicians and/or Paramedics.

Why would you call them "workers" as if they have no skill to save your life?
I put the word "workers" in quotation marks as I couldn't think of at that moment the most appropriate term as I didn't want to use driver, etc. (This happens when one is tired and is fluent in more than one language.)

As for the issue of the choice of hospital, of course depending the situation and type medical emergency, it makes sense sometimes for the ambulance emergency personnel to make the decision where to take the patient and that would normally be the closest location that can treat the particular type of medical condition especially if the patient can't be asked (because they are unconscious, etc.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:56 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
folks

Do the 911-directed ambulances take you to any hospital or only the nearest one?

Also, is it worthwhile using some emergency phone numbers provided by hospitals like LIJ instead of 911

Thx
I've heard some people have asked to go to a specific hospital in the same general area, for example going to Winthrop rather than LIJ. As far as calling LIJ directly, I don't think they routinely dispatch ambulances if you call them. At least I've never heard of anyone doing that. You can call the volunteer ambulance service in your area if you have one, but once or twice when I've had to call them for a family member they were closed and I got a recording.

Last week one of my neighbors fell ill and two FDNY ambulances showed up. I don't know why they dispatched two ambulances for one person who was alert and moving and talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City