Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 AM

37 posts, read 231,997 times

Advertisements

Hello New Yorkers,

I am moving to New York this coming Summer to study at NYU college of Dentistry. I know that I will probably be saving about at least $600 on rent if I choose to live in Elmhurst. However, I am trying to figure out how much I will save on living expense (i.e. grocery, going to bars/nightclubs, movies) if I choose to live Elmhurst over Manhattan? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 04:01 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Elmhurst, although not as nice as Forest Hills or Rego Park, is not a bad neighborhood, and it's easy to get to Manhattan from there. There are also alot of stores in Elmhurst, esp. on Queens Boulevard & Broadway. You should check out the neighborhood yourself one afternoon to get a feel for the place.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
You should save quite a bit on groceries as there is kind of a little Chinatown there - the Hong Kong Market is huge and things are bound to be cheaper there than, say, a Food Emporium in Manhattan where the prices are really high. But how much will you save? I don't really know.

In terms of going out to eat, you should save alot as well, as there are some great ethnic restaurants nearby where the prices are quite low. Here's a place where you can see menus (with prices) for restaurants in Elmhurst Queens Menus

As far as bars and movies, Elmhurst may not be the place for entertainment like that. I really don't know where is the closest movie theatre. My friend who lives there goes to Astoria for movies (not far on the R/V train).

However, if you are looking for independent films, art events, small theatre events, dance classes, etc. -- you could look at this website for Jackson Heights, which borders Elmhurst and is walkable. My friend in Elmhurst comes to JH all the time. Ongoing Events and Activities - Jackson Heights NY - Queens

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
I am trying to figure out how much I will save on living expense (i.e. grocery, going to bars/nightclubs, movies) if I choose to live Elmhurst over Manhattan
You will save considerably on groceries assuming there is a store near your place and you're not taking a cab or something to get the groceries home. There are a lot of movie theatres in Forest Hills, which is not so far, and there's a theatre on Queens Blvd in Sunnyside, near 44th St, but I don't know how good that one is.

Whether you will save on going out will depend on whether you go out in Manhattan or find local spots you like. While the cost of movies will be about the same in Queens as Manhattan, maybe a bit lower, you can save a lot on bars out in Queens. For example, I just moved to LIC and got a pint of Brooklyn Lager for $4 near my place. Last month I met a friend on the UWS and got a 12 oz. bottle of Brooklyn Lager for $7. The place wasn't particularly snooty or fancy. Drink prices, food prices, etc. are just lower in Queens. BUT, if your friends are in Manhattan and you go out there, you will likely spend more if you pay the higher drink prices and then take cabs home rather than deal with mass transit after midnight.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 PM

37 posts, read 231,997 times
thanks, I plan to find a place close the subway line. When does MTA subway shut down? Or are they running 24/7? Thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
thanks, I plan to find a place close the subway line. When does MTA subway shut down? Or are they running 24/7? Thanks
MTA runs 24/7 but not as frequent at night. Depending on the line, a late-night ride might require more trains (some lines don't run late at night, others run local instead of express) and what's normally a 30-minute ride could take an hour or more.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Forget Elmhurst. Manhattan is where it's at if you're coming to NYC. Shell out the extra bucks, you don't want the commuting hassle while you're in dental school. None of your NYU dental school friends will come out to Siberia to visit you. Pennywise, pound foolish.

Suck it up and get a place near NYU. You'll love it even if it means you'll have to work weekends as a dentist to pay back the loans.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
^^^ Yeah, a whole HELL of an extra amout of bucks if you're moving to Manhattan. 600 bucks won't even get you a monthly parking space in the city, let alone an apartment.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:18 PM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ Yeah, a whole HELL of an extra amout of bucks if you're moving to Manhattan. 600 bucks won't even get you a monthly parking space in the city, let alone an apartment.
He's an NYU student so he might have subsidized housing.

A studio or sharing a 2 bedroom should be enough for someone who's going to spend lots of time at the library anyway. $1500/mo. for a studio on the open market isn't that much more for someone who's going to be a dentist and shelling out $45,000/yr. in tuition. If he's concerned about costs, he should've gone to a cheap public school.

BTW $600/mo. (20% taxes included) is more than enough for parking in NYC, in a prime area too. You can do $250 if you look hard enough.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Forget Elmhurst. Manhattan is where it's at if you're coming to NYC. Shell out the extra bucks, you don't want the commuting hassle while you're in dental school. None of your NYU dental school friends will come out to Siberia to visit you. Pennywise, pound foolish.

Suck it up and get a place near NYU. You'll love it even if it means you'll have to work weekends as a dentist to pay back the loans.
Ace, clearly the OP is on a budget and he's already done his homework. He knows he can get a studio for $1000 in Elmhurst, which is 4 subway stops from Manhattan, whereas a studio in Manhattan will cost at least $1600, and he'll still most likely have to pay for the monthly metrocard. So maybe you should consider that he needs that extra $600 to pay for groceries and other expenses.

And, as for Elmhurst being "Siberia" - that just shows how little you know about how easy it is to get there from Manhattan. I am assuming you've never been there.

Maybe you have one of the daddies that is paying for you to live the Sex in the City life (per your post on another thread today), but the OP clearly doesn't. So let's help him out and give him some advice he can actually use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City