Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 PM

29 posts, read 54,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There's definitely been a rise in commercial and residential rents in the Bronx. It's pretty palpable at this point. I know to some in this city if you don't see white hipsters/yuppies moving in it's not gentrification but yeah it is gentrification.
In some spots maybe. But in Castle Hill and Parkchester, not really. Castle Hill is especially bad. It's somewhere people being pushed out of other areas they can't afford go to. After white flight in the late 70s, there were many middle class Puerto Ricans in CH. It was pretty stable for years.

Now, they've long left and a poorer class has come in. The area turned ghetto years ago, and remains so. There are still a few longtime holdouts around, but there's no chance of gentrification there unless there were no better spots in NY to go to for the middle classes.

Rents definitely have risen everywhere, but the people in CH have gotten more poor. The population isn't going to change anytime soon. Many of the houses have also been split into rooms/more than one family to a floor, etc, plus there's heavy government subsidies in the area. All of the stereotypes of people you don't want to live near are living in the area as well. Unless things were knocked down and $$$ luxury housing was put up and people were literally driven out, they're not budging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Was very surprised to see the Mick D's close. Someone suggested the $15 minimum wage. But if that were the case: 1) The Mick D's on Westchester, at the Cross Bronx Exp and Hugh Grant Circle, which got a facelift, would fall; and 2) More Mick D's would fall, too, and 3) The $15 minimum wage hasn't come, yet!

No proof, but one wonders whether it may be rents.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:37 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
With what I said, Jimmy's restaurant has been opened on Castle Hill and Bruckner for a few months. Pretty chic in there! And Havana Cafe is set to open. I don't know if they are moving from the Tremont Avenue/Throggs Neck location, (which is more in the boondocks), or whether Castle Hill is a second spot!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
With what I said, Jimmy's restaurant has been opened on Castle Hill and Bruckner for a few months. Pretty chic in there! And Havana Cafe is set to open. I don't know if they are moving from the Tremont Avenue/Throggs Neck location, (which is more in the boondocks), or whether Castle Hill is a second spot!
Sabrosura is on Castle Hill, and it's a big draw (not my kind of thing though). A knock off style place opened nearby a few years ago to cash in, and they seem to do ok too. I'd imagine that Havana might be trying to get in there for similar reasons. There's also a Mexican place near the subway that's got a bit of a name for it (saying that, I can't recall the name!) and is part of a mini chain, though the Castle Hill one is the first.

So there's a small group of Latin restaurants that do well in the area, as it's mostly Spanish nationalities around.

Is Jimmy's the sports bar one? To be honest, that looks like a dive to me. But it's the only place of it's type around Castle Hill that I'm aware of, so it has a niche.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbs123 View Post
In some spots maybe. But in Castle Hill and Parkchester, not really. Castle Hill is especially bad. It's somewhere people being pushed out of other areas they can't afford go to. After white flight in the late 70s, there were many middle class Puerto Ricans in CH. It was pretty stable for years.

Now, they've long left and a poorer class has come in. The area turned ghetto years ago, and remains so. There are still a few longtime holdouts around, but there's no chance of gentrification there unless there were no better spots in NY to go to for the middle classes.

Rents definitely have risen everywhere, but the people in CH have gotten more poor. The population isn't going to change anytime soon. Many of the houses have also been split into rooms/more than one family to a floor, etc, plus there's heavy government subsidies in the area. All of the stereotypes of people you don't want to live near are living in the area as well. Unless things were knocked down and $$$ luxury housing was put up and people were literally driven out, they're not budging.
Well it's happening on main commercial drags in Castle Hill. Commercial rents at least. Maybe it won't happen with residential. Let's see. I'm not old enough to remember when Castle Hill was better supposedly. In my eyes it has gotten better or at least more stable (ie less ghetto) in the last 10 years or so.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Uhh it's happening on main commercial drags in Castle Hill. Commercial rents at least. Maybe it won't happen with residential. Let's see. I'm not old enough to remember when Castle Hill was better supposedly. In my eyes it has gotten better or at least more stable in the last 10 years or so.
Rents of all sorts keep rising to crazy levels, though again, from what I heard last year, a lot of those storefronts are going to be replaced with apartments and such. I guess we'll see.

Castle Hill was once a highly desirable place to live. It was like a small town, very clean, had lots to do, and very suburban almost. If you moved there, you were moving up in the world. Parkchester was so well to do that people dreamed of living there. My family is from both areas, and I know them well from decades ago till the present.

If you ever come across people who lived there way back when, their eyes will light up at how amazing it was. The late 70s brought change, things got a bit worse, but stayed ok generally till (in my view) the 90s, when it seemed as if things started to deteriorate at breakneck speed. The last 10 years it's gotten way worse in my view. Around 2006 is when I started to notice a lot of the deterioration on streets that formerly escaped it. It's not been pretty. At the same time, I'm very lucky to remember what it was like before the rot set in. Some parts of where I live now remind me of what things used to look like back in the Bronx, and it's a horrible shame.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTurk View Post
It's happening everywhere.. tons of empty storefronts all over the city...

Recession baby.

Absolutely...4 stars. Empty storefornts UEW, UWS, West Village.

Does anyone remember the very descriptive term: STAGFLATION? It described well a period where the economy was in the toilet but prices kept increasing, felt worst in the 1970's.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-10-2016 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City