Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,467 times

Advertisements

Furniture is not worth paying to move cross-country, but gotta get it out of the apt. Charitable organizations that do pickups are picky (ie., no IKEA), don't want to have the driver get there and then decide they won't take anything. Craigslist sounds like a lot of time spent waiting around for people who may not show up or may not be able to haul stuff away on time. Is 1-800-Got-Junk our best shot? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:57 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I'm not sure that furniture has to be hauled away, considering that I'm constantly seeing furniture on the sidewalks.

1. Tip your super generously to do it.

2. People on CL are pretty reliable as long as you don't rely solely on email. I'm sure there are a lot of desperate people who would be happy to do it.

3. In fact, if you're leaving the apartment, so that you don't have to worry about future security problems, I'd be very tempted to hire some of the guys who are begging but sound respectable, like the guy on the north side of Union Square.

4. The high-end big-name charitable organizations may be picky, but I'll bet if you do some serious research, you'll find a few places that would love your stuff and not be at all picky.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
It is free to dispose of things like couches on the sidewalk but you have to follow the rules. Agree with above that if you have a super, that's the first place to start. I just had to throw away a couch. I got my super/porter to help me (I paid him, even though he said I didn't have to) and he helped me get it down to the basement, and then he waited for some particular day or time to bring it out to the sidewalk for trash pickup.

Look up the info Bulk Item Disposal | City of New York

You could also find out when you could dispose on the sidewalk and hire some people from a place like taskrabbit.com to help you carry the stuff out.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Remember,
Mattresses and box springs must by law be wrapped in plastic before being put out. (Bedbug fear.)

A friend had some nice stuff. She put out the word "take what you want" and just kept dragging stuff into the hallway for two days. Most went POOF pretty quickly.

I even snapped up some Baccarat.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:51 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaupon View Post
Furniture is not worth paying to move cross-country, but gotta get it out of the apt. Charitable organizations that do pickups are picky (ie., no IKEA), don't want to have the driver get there and then decide they won't take anything. Craigslist sounds like a lot of time spent waiting around for people who may not show up or may not be able to haul stuff away on time. Is 1-800-Got-Junk our best shot? Thanks.

If you want to "pump and dump" get a van or someone to has one; load up the lot and take it to your nearest Housing Works charity to make one mother of a donation. They probably don't want the mattress and box spring (your super can dispose of them), but the furniture, furnishings and whatever else will likely be warmly received.

Your other option is to speak with the super and or your landlord and ask if they will dispose of the stuff for you. Plenty of supers treat thrown away or "abandoned" property by tenants as their personal treasure trove. What they themselves do not want goes to family/friends and or finally onto the street.

You'd be surprised at the stuff building staff get from tenants moving house.

If you are in a small building and there is a central place for rubbish/recycling collection you can leave things there. Again either the super or even other tenants in building will often take what they want.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Should also mention between the professionals, dumpster divers, and the roving band of Mexicans/South Americans, and Hispanics nothing thrown out onto NYC streets remains unpicked over for long. If you put furniture or things out on collection day chances are it will be gone long before DSNY comes around.

Have seen people walk out of their UES apartment buildings, spy a piece of furniture on the curb and take it right back upstairs.

You can also post a CL *curb alert* about leaving things out in front of building, but I'd check with the super first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: