Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:38 PM

72 posts, read 116,487 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just found out that the new HUD income limits for FY 2016 were released on March 28 (see link below). I was wondering: Does anyone know when and if these limits will be used for upcoming housing lotteries that haven't been posted yet? Also, what about previous lotteries that you've applied to, but haven't been called for- will these new income limits apply? (I know it's probably just wishful thinking, but I'm curious)

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datas...36.0&year=2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:01 PM

Just an update: There are already 2 new listings in housing connect with the updated income limits! It looks like it was increased by $2,040 (For a household of 2) Good luck to everyone! :-)

Old 04-14-2016, 02:07 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
How do you figure out the upper and lower boundaries?

Plus, over $2,000 is a lot for it to increase. (The year before, it decreased by a couple of hundred bucks for a single.)

What are you comparing it to?

Also, not all lotteries are the same in which income group they're for.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
When did Median Family Income in NY jump to $72,300?

Old 04-16-2016, 07:52 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
When did Median Family Income in NY jump to $72,300?

Newly released data:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wall-s...090000215.html

Bonuses for those fat cats working on Wall Street are ... down? - CSMonitor.com

While many are wailing they aren't doing well, a large enough population of households are doing well enough in NY that they are affecting the median.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:48 AM

There is no way the median household income in New York State has increased $14K over the last couple years even if everyone on Wall Street is paid a TRILLION dollars salary. The top salaries do not move a median.

Mr. Median does not get a bonus, ever. It seems he never gets a raise either.

Wikipedia:
Quote:
The median household income across New York State stands at According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for New York was $58,878 in 2014, the latest figures available., according to 2010-2012 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Again I ask, why is the state's Median family income reported as $72,300. That first number affects every income limit on the chart.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
There is no way the median household income in New York State has increased $14K over the last couple years even if everyone on Wall Street is paid a TRILLION dollars salary. The top salaries do not move a median.

Mr. Median does not get a bonus, ever. It seems he never gets a raise either.

Wikipedia:

Again I ask, why is the state's Median family income reported as $72,300. That first number affects every income limit on the chart.

You're confusing two separate set of numbers:

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/about/faqs.html

Median Income: Family vs. Household

Median household income measures just that, a household which could be one or more persons totally unrelated, or families living together

Median family income measures two or more persons living in a home where they are related by marriage, parentage and so forth.

New York City census data: Manhattan and Brooklyn are much poorer than you think.

If you scroll down on the same page you linked you'll find the real median *household* income for NY is
$71,115

Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
How do you figure out the upper and lower boundaries?

Plus, over $2,000 is a lot for it to increase. (The year before, it decreased by a couple of hundred bucks for a single.)

What are you comparing it to?

Also, not all lotteries are the same in which income group they're for.
I have been applying to affordable housing on housing connect for a few years now. You are correct, not all lotteries have the same income requirements, but I find that the majority is geared towards the same income brackets. In my case, I'm a 2 person household and previously almost all the apartments I applied for had an income limit of $41,460. The 2 most recent postings on housing connect now have an increased income limit of around +$2,000. I was surprised since prior to the 41,460 it was 40,320 perhaps they will gradually start including more more income brackets?!

Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 AM

My argument stands:
The reported NYS family income of $74,300, on which all the following affordable housing numbers follow is an outright lie.
Why? I do not know, except perhaps to allow developers to charge more for higher income tenants than the real numbers would allow.

The base number is bogus. "Family" and "household" are used synonymously as they should be.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
My argument stands:
The reported NYS family income of $74,300, on which all the following affordable housing numbers follow is an outright lie.
Why? I do not know, except perhaps to allow developers to charge more for higher income tenants than the real numbers would allow.

The base number is bogus. "Family" and "household" are used synonymously as they should be.

No, it isn't.

IIRC these housing lotteries are only open to "families", that is you cannot get an apartment for roommate (unrelated persons) situations. Units are awarded based on the size of the family; one, two, three or whatever persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: