Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

What are the minimum and maximum ages a person can be and still be considered a millennial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What are the minimum and maximum ages a person can be and still be considered a millennial?
It's loosely defined as "a person reaching young adulthood around the year 2000" (hence the term "millennial") so one was in high school or college around that time. That means millennials are now in their mid 20s to mid 30s. I was in college so that makes me a millennial.

Pew Research has this short quiz to help you determine if you are a millennial
How Millennial Are You? | Pew Research Center

It's amusing because I consider myself "older" but by that general definition and my habits, I'm certainly defined as a millennial.

Edit: for those interested, here are generational definitions and the associated age ranges:
http://www.socialmarketing.org/newsl...eneration3.htm

Last edited by jad2k; 04-10-2016 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Persons born after 1982,to the year 2000. Millennial are also known as Gen y.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Persons born after 1982,to the year 2000. Millennial are also known as Gen y.
Disagreeing with that based on a few links I just posted. While social scientists, researchers and demographers can disagree about the age ranges by a few years, "millennial" is generally understood to mean people that came of age around the year 2000 or in the early 2000s. For that to happen, this group was born several years before the year 2000. So in the early 2000s, millennials were teenagers or young adults (high school and college aged). The link I posted is pretty good for breaking down the generation definitions and makes a lot of sense:

Generations X,Y, Z and the Others...Social Librarian Newsletter - WJ Schroer Company

I thought "millennials" were much younger than I am but after reading those definitions, the Pew Research studies and taking that millennial quiz, I'm clearly a "millennial". It's the group after the millennials that will be really interesting since they are growing up during the age of the Internet/smart phones and Internet technology will impact every aspect of their lives. They are also growing up in an increasingly diverse America which will prove to be very interesting down the line...

Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Kind of far flung conclusion to make just because of subway ads for Seamless...before Seamless, people in NYC still ordered in, picked up take out, or ate out. Also, the subway has a very wide demographic range. Those ads are not intended for just millennials, they are intended for "busy New Yorkers".

In the same vein, there is a company, Hello Fresh, that is trying to compete with Blue Apron (a cooking service that sends you all the ingredients for meals that you will then cook yourself). My office is in the FiDi and Hello Fresh has been standing on the corners after work handing out coupons for their service. Their target is clearly the "I'm too busy because of work but I still want to cook a healthy meal at home" audience.
Personally I think Blue Apron and Hello Fresh are bull**** business models that won't be around in 5 years time. On other hand its already a $2bn business so what do I know.

What's the value over takeout or Fresh Direct/Amazon Fresh?

On the other hand, their operating margins must be HUGE because it's definitely a rip-off. I've see the portions. lol

Old 04-10-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Personally I think Blue Apron and Hello Fresh are bull**** business models that won't be around in 5 years time. On other hand its already a $2bn business so what do I know.

What's the value over takeout or Fresh Direct/Amazon Fresh?

On the other hand, their operating margins must be HUGE because it's definitely a rip-off. I've see the portions. lol
Blackberry thought the iPhone was a bullsh** fad and wouldn't last...big whoops for them.

Several business (and entire business industries) felt that the Internet itself wouldn't "catch on"...an even bigger whoops for them.

Successful business are able to adapt quickly to changing times, attitudes, and beliefs. There is a market for companies like Blue Apron. My bet is that companies like Amazon and Fresh Direct are keeping a close watch on the Blue Aprons of the world and will either expand their business to include similar offerings or just buy those companies altogether. If the targets for these business are millennials and the generation directly after millennials, this is the largest demographic in the US. Successful companies would want to adapt services to this population.

I've never used Blue Apron but know several friends and coworkers that use it. I'd like to try it but my BF says it's for lazy people and "one step up from take out". He likes to cook a lot though and enjoys going to the grocery store to pick out items so his POV on companies like Blue Apron is understandable. He's also a millennial and obviously one that cooks (often).

Old 04-10-2016, 12:01 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Blackberry thought the iPhone was a bullsh** fad and wouldn't last...big whoops for them.

Several business (and entire business industries) felt that the Internet itself wouldn't "catch on"...an even bigger whoops for them.

Successful business are able to adapt quickly to changing times, attitudes, and beliefs. There is a market for companies like Blue Apron. My bet is that companies like Amazon and Fresh Direct are keeping a close watch on the Blue Aprons of the world and will either expand their business to include similar offerings or just buy those companies altogether. If the targets for these business are millennials and the generation directly after millennials, this is the largest demographic in the US. Successful companies would want to adapt services to this population.

I've never used Blue Apron but know several friends and coworkers that use it. I'd like to try it but my BF says it's for lazy people and "one step up from take out". He likes to cook a lot though and enjoys going to the grocery store to pick out items so his POV on companies like Blue Apron is understandable. He's also a millennial and obviously one that cooks (often).
Real estate in Manhattan and part of Brooklyn/Queens is very expensive. I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of brick and mortar grocery stores go out of business in the area (once the lease expires). In the near future many people will need to buy their grocery online through a warehouse in the outer boroughs (especially in areas where owning a car is not practical).

Old 04-10-2016, 02:46 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Never cook.
It's senseless for one, unless you're going to tote leftovers and eat the same thing all week- which I'm not terribly opposed to, I just don't do.

NYC offers cheap lunch just about everywhere- more likely than not I'd pick up two of those and eat one for dinner.
I go out just about nightly, but it's something I see as a better savings than cooking or letting food spoil in the fridge.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Real estate in Manhattan and part of Brooklyn/Queens is very expensive. I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of brick and mortar grocery stores go out of business in the area (once the lease expires). In the near future many people will need to buy their grocery online through a warehouse in the outer boroughs (especially in areas where owning a car is not practical).
Good point. I think we'll see a lot of business, especially in large cities, adapt (for several reasons) as we get further along in the digital/Internet age. It was very smart for yellow cabs to modify their model when services like uber started gaining in popularity. I remember for a long time yellow cabs didn't even accept credit cards!

Old 04-10-2016, 04:08 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Mu husband and I work opposite hours. I am exhausted when I get home from work and it would be too late to cook anyways. I like to relax or run errands before work. The average cost of dining or to go from a regular none fancy restaurant would be $30 for two. We rarely get bottles of wine etc when we go out. I actually almost exclusively drink water (with lemon) with my meals even when home.
When I do the math it is not worth it in timewise and cost to cook every day . If I cook we are both stuck eating the same thing. If I make two entrees it would mean more ingredients and more time in the kitchen. The left overs are eaten on day one then discarded.
Compared to going to the restaurant and buying a meal. We get to enjoy two separte dishes and I don't have to slave away in the kitchen.
If i am on vacation or have a long weekend or it's the holidays I cook.
I bought my stove not for functionality, but because it looked sexy in the kitchen. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City