Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times

Advertisements

All those evil, vile, racist, rich whitey thighteys should be ashamed of themselves!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:44 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora's Garden View Post
Due to my career, I travel to Manhattan quite frequently for extended periods. Let's just say that lately, I've grown tired of Manhattan, but not for the reasons that you may imagine. I love the hustle and bustle and all that accompanies city living, but I strongly dislike the racism. It's almost as if you're expected to be poor, if you are black. It seems as if I am constantly getting hostile stares from doormen and the concierge when I enter my building. On a few occasions, many have been bold enough to make comments like "your daddy must be rich." Usually, when such comments are made, I simply pretend that I didn't hear them, but I really want to scream, NO ---YOU DUMB PRICK, UNLIKE YOU, I'VE WORKED HARD AND NOW I MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO STAY WHERE I PLEASE.

Unfortunately, in many parts of NYC, fine living and fine dining appear to be reserved for those with white skin. For this reason, I'm really starting to dislike staying in NYC.
The reason people are buttholes to you is because you have a bad attitude. If you're always playing the victim, you'll always be the victim.

My advice is.......catch more bees with honey!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:57 PM

306 posts, read 283,645 times
I am black and I can say that I don't really agree with you op. There are many non white people who are affluent and live in Manhattan . And everywhere you going to find two or three mean, stupid people , and it's because they don't know better, like the great Maya Angelou always said " WHEN YOU KNOW BETTER , YOU DO BETTER" .

Also don't be quick to interpreted someone action as being racist . In NYC for the most part all races get along , in NYC you find more of a class issue than race . Wealthy, middle class , upper middleclass, lower middle class and poor leave almost near each other. And finally if you really tired of Manhattan move in one of the other boroughs because they all have great , nice affluent neighborhoods

Last edited by bax2222; 04-10-2016 at 06:07 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 07:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Seems like a lot of humble bragging going on with this thread. ie; "look how rich but yet also black I am! What a quirky combination that throws people off! Go me!"

Old 04-10-2016, 09:33 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
With all the Italian, Jewish, and Irish mayors and upper level politicians NYC has in this area you cannot equate rich with WASP. Billionaire Bloomberg is Jewish.

Last WASP mayor of NYC was Lindsay, and I presume we all know how that turned out....

When you come down to it WASP do not really control much of the United States the way they did in the past. There isn't one WASP member of the SCOTUS, banking/finance is largely run by the Jews, ditto for real estate. Last WASP president was GWBII... The State Department once was run and staffed almost exclusively by WASPS, but that has long since ended.

That being said WASPSs still do have some power and wealth, just look at Anderson Cooper (Gloria Vanderbilt's son), and of course families like the Rockefellers still wield immense power and have great wealth, so on balance you cannot write them totally off as group as irrelevant. However once you leave the confines of certain areas like the UES and outside of certain enterprises their influence is less.

One area you do find heavily controlled in NYC is the fine art scene. Your chances of landing one of those highly coveted unpaid (but very high in status) internships at Sotheby's or any of the other great auction houses is nil unless you are WASP and or connected into that scene.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Last WASP mayor of NYC was Lindsay, and I presume we all know how that turned out....

When you come down to it WASP do not really control much of the United States the way they did in the past. There isn't one WASP member of the SCOTUS, banking/finance is largely run by the Jews, ditto for real estate. Last WASP president was GWBII... The State Department once was run and staffed almost exclusively by WASPS, but that has long since ended.

That being said WASPSs still do have some power and wealth, just look at Anderson Cooper (Gloria Vanderbilt's son), and of course families like the Rockefellers still wield immense power and have great wealth, so on balance you cannot write them totally off as group as irrelevant. However once you leave the confines of certain areas like the UES and outside of certain enterprises their influence is less.

One area you do find heavily controlled in NYC is the fine art scene. Your chances of landing one of those highly coveted unpaid (but very high in status) internships at Sotheby's or any of the other great auction houses is nil unless you are WASP and or connected into that scene.
Isn't "WASP" a misnomer anyway?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:50 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Isn't "WASP" a misnomer anyway?

Not really; White Anglo-Saxon Protestant means just that; descendants and or those who came to the USA from certain parts of England and were of a certain faith. This at once obviously excluded Catholics regardless of their race/ethnic background. Ditto for Jews and anyone else not Mainline Protestant.

What did happen over the years is that the Protestant faith began to split apart into various liberal and conservative divisions. You see this today in that many Episcopal churches and their members embrace equality in the broadest sense. Everything from gay marriage to ordination of women in some of the once strong hold WASP areas from Maine to Maryland liberal main line Protestant (Episcopal, Lutheran, etc...) churches have been welcoming.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
I have a wooden bridge for sale. Cheap..!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 PM

269 posts, read 287,980 times
This isn't just a Manhattan problem or even a NYC problem. I didn't grow up in NY but I feel less racism here in NYC then anywhere else I've lived. I think people do stereotype you sometimes especially if you live in a nice building or neighborhood and you don't fit the description of most of the residents that live around you. For example, I'm a mixed race person and people tend to think I'm Latina. I live in a nice part of Bay Ridge in Brooklyn and most residents are white and older than me. Every now and then people think I work in my neighborhood or my building as someone's nanny or caretaker. It's happened more than once. Usually by people who don't live in my building. I don't get mad about it and don't consider that to be racism. It's just people stereotyping you because of the way you look. Plus, most of the young women of color that I do see around my neighborhood do tend to work in my building or around my neighborhood as a nanny or caretaker but don't actually live there.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
With all the Italian, Jewish, and Irish mayors and upper level politicians NYC has in this area you cannot equate rich with WASP. Billionaire Bloomberg is Jewish.
Rockefeller family have more wealth accumulation than Bloomberg. Same could be said for the Koch Brothers. Don't fool yourself. Wasps even though they are not relevant in NYC as much, they do wield influence in certain aspects of life here in NYC. WASPS also take part in charity and philanthropic work, as well as major proponent of the arts. WASPS used to dominate American politics and economic agenda, but the Civil Rights movement changed that. City College used to be Harvard for Jews, and now Jews make up the bulk of IVY league graduates. Jews also control finance, media, banking, and real estate industries. In DC the supreme court is made of up Catholic and Jews, and not one current judge is a WASP. WASPS are still big in NYC like in the UES of Manhattan. They really have some nice episcopal, pyrsberterian, and Lutheran churches on the East Side of Manhattan. Here in NYC, the wealthy old money WASPS, have to work with the current money Jews, and the new money Asians. Also NYC has not had an Irish Mayor in decades. The past NYC mayors have either been Italian and or Jewish. However if it offers any consoloation, Dinkins even though black, he used to attend plenty of WASP functions, and probably an agent of the WASPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City