Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times

Advertisements

Class and race are VERY strongly correlated in Manhattan.

- Most (not all) Manhattan whites are apart of the professional/college-graduate class..

WHILE

- Most (not all) Manhattan-blacks and hispanics are either subsidized by the government (NYCHA&Section 8) or struggle in low-level jobs (retail/fast-food, CNA's, doormen, taxi drivers, etc). This is why gentrification is a huge problem in Manhattan because there's not enough high-income blacks to offset it.

OF COURSE WITH THIS BEING SAID, there are still a decent amount of Manhattan-blacks who are educated and making good incomes. On the flip-side, there are still a decent amount of Manhattan-whites who are really poor and/or have drug issues.

It's really sad because it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE for Manhattan minorities to join the middle class since real estate is so expensive. It's even hard for middle class people of any race to buy property in Manhattan. As a result of this, many people will rely on public assistance forever and never improve their situation.

(I'm only speaking of Manhattan and not the entire NYC metro area. In Queens, the median black income is actually a bit higher than that of whites. Also, there are several higher-income black neighborhoods on Long Island and in Rockland County.)

Here's some stats that should paint a clearer picture:
Median white household income in Manhattan: $97,575
Median black household income in Manhattan: $33,447
Median hispanic household income in Manhattan: $32,603

http://www.usa.com/new-york-county-n...#Family-Income

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-11-2016 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvoyage View Post
I'm a white guy who has lived in Manhattan for 27-years. I take no pleasure in telling you that the biggest racists that I've seen have been people of color. It's not even a close call. The media paints a picture of white people as racists, but it's absolute and total BS.
White privileges must be nice, I guess someone treating you rudely from time to time is far worse than institutional racism towards minorities. I wish I could live in your narcissistic bubble where the worse thing someone did to me was call me names. Next time someone call you name, tell yourself "Sticks and stones will break my bones, But words will never harm me".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87LGmm1M5Is

Last edited by NYer23; 04-11-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Class and race are VERY strongly correlated in Manhattan.

- Most (not all) Manhattan whites are apart of the professional/college-graduate class..

WHILE

- Most (not all) Manhattan-blacks and hispanics are either subsidized by the government (NYCHA&Section 8) or struggle in low-level jobs (retail/fast-food, CNA's, doormen, taxi drivers, etc). This is why gentrification is a huge problem in Manhattan because there's not enough high-income blacks to offset it.

OF COURSE WITH THIS BEING SAID, there are still a decent amount of Manhattan-blacks who are educated and making good incomes. On the flip-side, there are still a decent amount of Manhattan-whites who are really poor and/or have drug issues.

It's really sad because it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE for Manhattan minorities to join the middle class since real estate is so expensive. It's even hard for middle class people of any race to buy property in Manhattan. As a result of this, many people will rely on public assistance forever and never improve their situation.

(I'm only speaking of Manhattan and not the entire NYC metro area. In Queens, the median black income is actually a bit higher than that of whites. Also, there are several higher-income black neighborhoods on Long Island and in Rockland County.)

Here's some stats that should paint a clearer picture:
Median white household income in Manhattan: $97,575
Median black household income in Manhattan: $33,447
Median hispanic household income in Manhattan: $32,603

New York County, NY Income and Careers - USA.com™

Aren't "whites" a small minority for the entire world?

You're cherry picking data to fit your confused narrative.

Why is it "nearly IMPOSSIBLE" for Manhattan minorities (who, aren't really minorities in New York City) to join the middle class?

Then, by your own admission, it's not impossible but probable that "black(s)" join the middle class in (3) other counties which surround Manhattan.

Just out of curiosity: do you consider Jews to be white, "minorities" or, whatever they feel like that day? This an important question when it comes to income distributions for New York City populations.

Last edited by Citizenrich; 04-11-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 PM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
This is just a sampling of your, uh, "other".Famous Black Inventors

And, no,dear, it's not a White person's world by any stretch of the imagination. thanks for revealing your arrogance, classism and racism in that one short comment, though. quite entertaining.

White people are tired of carrying all the weight of the modern world. Less than 5% of the world population has been responsible for almost 99% of all commercial and intellectual patents (basically, inventions) since the advent of the first Industrial Revolution in 1750. It's really remarkable if you think about it. Every modern comfort and convenience in your life was created by a white person. Each single one. And, it has nothing to do with "racism". That's a boring, tired, worn out trope. Racism is a relatively new idea, created by trouble making Marxists and Trotskyites. Heck, even all of our modern political definitions and organizing principles were invented by white people. Every single one.

With all that inventing and extending of lifespans (hopefully you and your family as well) has come great costs. War existed for many millennia before white people ever got involved the exercise on any great scale. But, white people invented weapons of war which are capable of destroying entire nations if not the whole world.

I say it's high time another group of humans take over the reigns for a while.

Oh, and yes, although I'm no great inventor, I currently hold (3) separate US Patents.

Why did you call me dear?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What neighborhoods? I am white and live in Jackson Heights in a mixed area that has at least 50% Spanish speakers (Spanish is the main language on the street, but not in every store, and my building is majority English speaking). I never have any problem whatsoever going into the Spanish-language-oriented businesses. I use a Spanish-language car service. When they answer the phone "Buenas" I just ask for my car in English and they immediately switch to English. They like my business

The cashiers in my corner grocery are all bilingual and switch back and forth very easily, always with a smile (which is kind of rare for any grocery cashier in NYC these days).

One time, though, I did go into a Bangladeshi pharmacy at the other end of the neighborhood and tried to buy a small pack of tissues. They tried to charge me $2.00! I looked at them and said, I can buy an entire box for that amount. I felt that if I had spoken to them in Bengali, the tissues would have been 99 cents as they should have been. However, I'm not sure that's racism, just greed.

Could it be the Spanish areas you're going into think you're a gentrifier or an outsider and they are trying to keep their rents down? I think we don't have that problem in my area because it's been extremely mixed for a long time, so no one is an outsider.

Also another thing is that when there are people on the street trying to sell stuff by announcing their product, they usually say the product name in Spanish, and then they will switch to English if they see people who look like non-Spanish-speakers (like how I look). Everyone's just trying to make a buck so there's no reason for them to discriminate.
People in certain neighborhoods are just less friendly to each other in general, to strangers at least.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
People in certain neighborhoods are just less friendly to each other in general, to strangers at least.
Yeah, that's why I asked what neighborhood. I think Jackson Heights tends to be pretty live-and-let-live kind of place and the Spanish speakers don't seem to be intentionally exclusive. I can imagine it might be different in other neighborhoods, especially with Spanish speakers from other countries. Jackson Heights has a lot of Colombians and they tend to be very nice, open, generous people.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Aren't "whites" a small minority for the entire world?

You're cherry picking data to fit your confused narrative.

Why is it "nearly IMPOSSIBLE" for Manhattan minorities (who, aren't really minorities in New York City) to join the middle class?

Then, by your own admission, it's not impossible but probable that "black(s)" join the middle class in (3) other counties which surround Manhattan.

Just out of curiosity: do you consider Jews to be white, "minorities" or, whatever they feel like that day? This an important question when it comes to income distributions for New York City populations.
This is not as confusing as you're trying to make it out to be.

My main point: Blacks and Hispanics in Manhattan are FAR more likely to be in poverty, near poverty and have less opportunities for home ownership than Whites in Manhattan (on average).

Is it easier for minorities in most of the other boroughs and most of the suburban counties to become middle class there? YES, because not only are their average incomes higher but the cost of property is much cheaper too. A win-win for home ownership.

And I'm not addressing my usage of the word "minority"; that is simply just knit-picking.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:17 PM

237 posts, read 329,881 times
Quote:
White people are tired of carrying all the weight of the modern world. Less than 5% of the world population has been responsible for almost 99% of all commercial and intellectual patents (basically, inventions) since the advent of the first Industrial Revolution in 1750. It's really remarkable if you think about it. Every modern comfort and convenience in your life was created by a white person. Each single one. And, it has nothing to do with "racism". That's a boring, tired, worn out trope. Racism is a relatively new idea, created by trouble making Marxists and Trotskyites. Heck, even all of our modern political definitions and organizing principles were invented by white people. Every single one.

With all that inventing and extending of lifespans (hopefully you and your family as well) has come great costs. War existed for many millennia before white people ever got involved the exercise on any great scale. But, white people invented weapons of war which are capable of destroying entire nations if not the whole world.

I say it's high time another group of humans take over the reigns for a while.

Oh, and yes, although I'm no great inventor, I currently hold (3) separate US Patents.

Why did you call me dear?
My bad. confused you for another poster.

As for the rest of your post.. Oy..

Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Every modern comfort and convenience in your life was created by a white person. Each single one.
Yep, nothing more of a modern comfort than global warming that's soon expected to flood and destroy the entire east coast and flood out entire nations. Can't forget about asbestos, water pollution, toxic waste and meth.

Quote:
But, white people invented weapons of war which are capable of destroying entire nations if not the whole world.
...Just what the world always needed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City