Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
exactly, US corporations have benefited at the expense of it's own populace. corporations have bypassed labor here for cheaper labor abroad with absolutely no concept of patriotism and leveraging wealth to the few. this is a function of culture shift. this wouldn't happen in china.
Of course it would, tell that to the Chinese factory owners setting up shop in Vietnam and other parts of Southeast Asia for yet even cheaper labor. But in terms of magnitude it won't be comparable due to China's huge population. e.g. Vietnam doesn't have enough people to produce everything that China needs and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Of course it would, tell that to the Chinese factory owners setting up shop in Vietnam and other parts of Southeast Asia for yet even cheaper labor. But in terms of magnitude it won't be comparable due to China's huge population.
tell that to the 80 million upper middle class chinese in the mainland who got a free lunch to buy a 2.8 million dollar condo from me.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
tell that to the 80 million upper middle class chinese in the mainland who got a free lunch to buy a 2.8 million dollar condo from me.
Free lunch as in working for less than $1 an hour free lunch. You gotta get your facts straight, no one handed them free lunch. Companies were there to exploit dirt cheap labor and only dirt cheap labor. If I pay you $1 an hour and you somehow manage to accumulate a large sum of money that means I'm giving you free lunch? In that case when would you like to start cleaning my toilet, I'll double your free lunch how about that?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Free lunch as in working for less than $1 an hour free lunch. You gotta get your facts straight, no one handed them free lunch. Companies were there to exploit dirt cheap labor and only dirt cheap labor. If I pay you $1 an hour and you somehow manage to accumulate a large sum of money that means I'm giving you free lunch?
i don't think you understand, 80 million chinese get a free lunch and make millions a year off the US/China trade arbitrage. sure, the pig farmers don't, but 80 million people would be nearly 1/4 of our population. to their populace, 80 million is only 1/20th of their population.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Free lunch as in working for less than $1 an hour free lunch. You gotta get your facts straight, no one handed them free lunch. Companies were there to exploit dirt cheap labor and only dirt cheap labor. If I pay you $1 an hour and you somehow manage to accumulate a large sum of money that means I'm giving you free lunch? In that case when would you like to start cleaning my toilet, I'll double your free lunch how about that?
your idea of chinese people probably that takeout joint. you have no clue.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
i don't think you understand, 80 million chinese get a free lunch and make millions a year off the US/China trade arbitrage. sure, the pig farmers don't, but 80 million people would be nearly 1/4 of our population. to their populace, 80 million is only 1/20th of their population.
So now buying and selling goods for profit is free lunch? And where did you even come up with that 80mil figure, Donald trump? Don't be so mindless 80mil people didn't get rich shipping goods overseas. You remind me of the two old white dudes in the office this morning long overdue for retirement. One says to the other " he's been slipping recently" all sad faced and the other tries not to acknowledge him cause I was around. Their day dream of themselves and people like them being great again is gonna end soon.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 PM

419 posts, read 626,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The other week the news was interviewing a bottle collector and she said that between her and two others they bring in $500 a day. Assuming they don't take vacation or weekends off, that's $180k/year split three ways. And no income to declare to the authorities.
sign me up for the bottles collection. anyone belives in that crap sure smart as hell.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:49 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
In order to make $500/day from 5 cents a bottle, you have to collect 10,000 bottles. No way any single one person can collect that many a day, everyday and being elderly in top of that. Just not possible.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 AM

62 posts, read 75,920 times
Quote:
Whitestone I'm not sure since I don't drive by there often, but Flushing those bar are probably there from when part of the neighborhood was bad and others area were starting to turn bad. I doubt anyone puts bars on their windows anymore. As for Bayside I live like a few blocks off Bell, it's all single family detached homes by me and no one has any bars on their windows, but the majority of my neighbors have alarm systems.
Most of Flushing is still bad. It was good up until mid 90s but as white flight took place they were replaced by poorer and mostly illegal immigrants. This is fact. Many don't have bank accounts so they keep their cash in the house. This is why they put up bars. Whitestone is moving in the same direction. Bayside will follow. I attend civic meetings in which the 109/111pcts speak, and the story gets worse every month.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
In order to make $500/day from 5 cents a bottle, you have to collect 10,000 bottles. No way any single one person can collect that many a day, everyday and being elderly in top of that. Just not possible.
The news anchor said the enterprise consisted of three business partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City