Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times

Advertisements

Stupid question. How do you know if the pipe is broken? Does water or sewage bubble up through the sidewalk? Flood the basement? How does one detect this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Yes!!!! Our pipe burst over the winter. All i had to give the guy was a tip. Our coverage cost $20 monthly.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Our previous house the sewer lines were clogged. Same deal they came and fixed it. These old NYC houses are unpredictable.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Stupid question. How do you know if the pipe is broken? Does water or sewage bubble up through the sidewalk? Flood the basement? How does one detect this?
ours broke and once the ground saturated it came pouring in through the basement windows and cracks around things

Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 AM

51 posts, read 128,124 times
I decided to sign up after reading some of your experiences. I enrolled through the AWR website (awrusa.com/nyc) almost two weeks ago and I haven't received any confirmation via email or postal mail. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

Old 04-25-2016, 10:54 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acljump View Post
I decided to sign up after reading some of your experiences. I enrolled through the AWR website (awrusa.com/nyc) almost two weeks ago and I haven't received any confirmation via email or postal mail. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?
Surely they must have a phone number or email address. Have you tried contacting them?

Old 05-19-2016, 04:48 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
In Las Vegas, LVVWD (Las Vegas Valley Water Dist.) has the same deal. They send info out with the bill, but they claim they don't get any money for it. I just got a letter in the mail from AWR, and my wife thinks we should look into it, as a neighbor down the street had the street dug up the other day for a leak. And it was right after the street had been repaved. Go figure. We never see the people who live there, so we don't know if it was on his side of the meter not. If it's before the meter it's LVVWDs problem.

What I would like to know before I sign up would be if the insurance covers all water leaks, or just the line to the house. It's the lines inside the house that worry me, although, with the manifold system, I can shut off individual lines. Thanks to landscapers giving hitchhikers a ride to Las Vegas, we've gained a new problem here that we never had before - Roof Rats. If one of those suckers gets into the crawl space in the ceiling they could find it very easy to gnaw into the PEX lines or the electrical wiring. It would be just as expensive to tear out the ceiling as to dig up the driveway I suppose.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:56 AM

402 posts, read 518,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acljump View Post
I do question the hard sell from NYC DEP regarding this coverage. Seems like this type of insurance deal with AWR started around 2013 and has been going on since.

The cost of a line repair may be potentially high so this coverage may be worth getting.

No one else has been seeing these letters every couple of months?

Im guessing you are a property owner as ive been getting these a lot recently. Even more so since ive filed for new building permits. Ive always thought it seemed like a scam of some sort (only because NYC seems to be pushing this too hard).

Old 05-21-2016, 08:59 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
Im guessing you are a property owner as ive been getting these a lot recently. Even more so since ive filed for new building permits. Ive always thought it seemed like a scam of some sort (only because NYC seems to be pushing this too hard).
Is it really NYC pushing it? Or AWR through DEP?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:40 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
I'm bumping this thread because I just got another letter from American Water Resources. They no longer put "NYC Department of Environmental Protection" on the envelope. Now it has no company name or return address, just two lines that say "Important information about your water and sewer service lines" without identifying who they are. The letter says they are still partnered with NYC DEP but now the mailing looks much less official. I still wouldn't buy it but at least now it looks like junk mail. When they sent it with NYC DEP on the envelope it looked like an official communication or bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City