Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 AM

263 posts, read 757,714 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing an unusual horrible gridlock backup on Sunday afternoons recently once I come off exit 13 from NJ TNPK all the way to the Goethals Bridge. Does anyone know what is causing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:20 AM

415 posts, read 514,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
I've been noticing an unusual horrible gridlock backup on Sunday afternoons recently once I come off exit 13 from NJ TNPK all the way to the Goethals Bridge. Does anyone know what is causing it?

A lot of "Sunday Drivers" don't have ez-pass

A lot of "Sunday Drivers" go to visit their children @ their $75 a sq/ ft "mansions" in Monmouth County and the surrounding areas.

Most of the people living in their $75 a sq/ ft "mansions" are waiting for their parents to die so they can sell the family home and pay down the mortgage the "mansion" they can't really afford. Then they get divorced and their spouse takes the money.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

it's really that simple.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:24 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
A lot of "Sunday Drivers" don't have ez-pass

A lot of "Sunday Drivers" go to visit their children @ their $75 a sq/ ft "mansions" in Monmouth County and the surrounding areas.

Most of the people living in their $75 a sq/ ft "mansions" are waiting for their parents to die so they can sell the family home and pay down the mortgage the "mansion" they can't really afford. Then they get divorced and their spouse takes the money.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

it's really that simple.

Not really...

First of all many Staten Islanders *do* have EZPass if for nothing else they get the discounted rate for the VZNB as residents.

Cannot think of anyone who lives in NJ or SI that owns their own vehicle and does not have EZPass, unless they drive not very often at all.

As for reasons for the back up to the GB even when it isn't closed many persons avoid the Bayonne Bridge because of the construction.

Next there is the simple fact more people are living on SI and or also have moved to New Jersey but are going *home* for a Sunday meal with the family on the Rock.

It doesn't take much to back up the Goethals Bridge. You have all that traffic coming off the NJP north and south squeezing onto those two narrow lanes in each direction. On many weekends and holidays even the Outerbridge is backed up as well.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:06 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
A lot of the Goethals traffic is actually Brooklyn traffic. Lots of Hasids come over the bridge coming back from their enclaves upstate. Most SI traffic from NJ is going over the Outerbridge Crossing.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,735 times
Unusual? That is the USUAL weekend traffic over there. It's even better on a holiday.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
A lot of the Goethals traffic is actually Brooklyn traffic. Lots of Hasids come over the bridge coming back from their enclaves upstate. Most SI traffic from NJ is going over the Outerbridge Crossing.

True, totally forgot about that. It is like when you see the SIE backed up going westbound, much of that traffic is heading onto the Belt or getting off in Bayridge...

Coming up from NJ always take the Outerbridge unless get a phone call, text or hear on radio it is backed up. Last Christmas couldn't believe how bad the OB was.. kept on keeping on and took the GB which wasn't that much better, but at least it was moving.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not really...

First of all many Staten Islanders *do* have EZPass if for nothing else they get the discounted rate for the VZNB as residents.

Cannot think of anyone who lives in NJ or SI that owns their own vehicle and does not have EZPass, unless they drive not very often at all.

As for reasons for the back up to the GB even when it isn't closed many persons avoid the Bayonne Bridge because of the construction.

Next there is the simple fact more people are living on SI and or also have moved to New Jersey but are going *home* for a Sunday meal with the family on the Rock.

It doesn't take much to back up the Goethals Bridge. You have all that traffic coming off the NJP north and south squeezing onto those two narrow lanes in each direction. On many weekends and holidays even the Outerbridge is backed up as well.

You're one of the worst contrary old windbags in history lol

How old are you anyway - like 80? You have to be a retired civil service worker. I know it.

I'd call you know-it-all but you don't seem to know as much as you think you do.

I'm sorry for being mean to you but you can take it because you're tough. I know you're tough because you write it all the time.

Did I write "Staten Islanders" ? No, I did not.

In fact, I purposely used the term "Sunday Drivers" to describe the very people you mentioned: those "...going *home* for a family meal..."

Many Sunday Drivers don't have or use EZ Pass and are just passing through SI on their way somewhere else.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:53 PM

I'm just breaking your shoes, bugsypal.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
You're one of the worst contrary old windbags in history lol

How old are you anyway - like 80? You have to be a retired civil service worker. I know it.

I'd call you know-it-all but you don't seem to know as much as you think you do.

I'm sorry for being mean to you but you can take it because you're tough. I know you're tough because you write it all the time.

Did I write "Staten Islanders" ? No, I did not.

In fact, I purposely used the term "Sunday Drivers" to describe the very people you mentioned: those "...going *home* for a family meal..."

Many Sunday Drivers don't have or use EZ Pass and are just passing through SI on their way somewhere else.

As the sisters would say back in school "please keep up"!

If the OP was speaking of the Goethals then it is a reasonable assumption traffic was heading and or caused by those on Staten Island.

Civil service? Nope, not my thing at all.

Don't know about the "Sunday driver" you know but the ones am familiar with drive all the time during the week. If you live on Staten Island it is pretty much the only way for many to get around.

Only NYC/NJ residents who drive and don't have an EZpass are either clueless, renters, or just gluttons for punishment. Anyone who takes the bridges or tunnels much less the GSP or NJTP and uses cash even if only for four Sunday's per month is paying way more than they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City