Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 143,150 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of renting to someone who will need rent assistance from the state for a few months. Since I have never dealt with this before I was wondering if someone who has been can give me some advice or even thier honest open opinion about it. Also will welfare give me a print out at the end of the year to tell me how mcuh rent they paid me for taxes or do I have to keep track of that info myself? My tenant will pay half her rent and the other half will come from welfare so I was wondering if I have to get seperate journals for money paid from her and from welfare to properly report it to the IRS. Also since welfare never asked me for my tax id number how will this "income" be reported?
Thank You!

Hannah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 PM

125 posts, read 130,218 times
I recommend that you DO NOT rent to welfare tenants, as the headaches and the monumental bureaucracy will be horrendous. Do yourself a favor and RUN from these people. The least of your worries will be taxes..

Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,862,410 times
I totally agree with hypnotizzed.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,865 times
Hannah, I have heard many pros and many cons about accepting Section 8. I sure others with more first hand experience could enlighten you further.

However, just a question to Hynotizzed, I know you advocate "inclusiveness" rather than gentrification and forcing people out in the Bronx (and is something that I strongly agree with you on!) But yet you, in your many posts, seem to consistently rail against people who can't afford market rates in this terribly expensive city.

So, with respect to Hannah's situation - her potential tenant is not on what I think of when the word "welfare" comes to mind (someone just taking handouts from the government, living in NYC housing and not making any attempt to work). This woman will be paying half of the rent and perhaps just needs a helping hand to get back on her feet. Perhaps she is a newly single mother or abused woman or just lost a job....I can think of a bunch of scenarios. And maybe not, maybe she will turn out to be a nightmare tenant for Hannah. But how can anyone lump people together so easily and with such disregard?

So, if you are such an advocate of being inclusive (which is commendable) - where are all of these people willing to work and yet not able (for some reason) to make a decent NYC wage supposed to live? Everyone dislikes the projects, but there has to be some safety net for "these people". How do you mesh these two apparently contradictory belief systems? Because until these exact types of issues get worked out, in my humble opinion, the hope for the revitalization of the Bronx gets diminished with every generalization, every stereotype and every dismissive attitude towards fellow citizens truly in need.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM

22 posts, read 143,150 times
Thank you everyone for your advice and honesty. I have already committed to giving the apartment to her so I can not back out but I will learn something should this turn in to a bad experience. I too needed assistance at one time so I feel that it is only right for me to return to the community what was given to me (a decent place to live in a safe neighborhood). I know dealing with the state maybe one of my worse decisions yet but again I am prepapred to learn from my mistakes. I really appreciate the responses. Please feel free to share more especially if you can answer my questions about keeping track of the rent and any tax forms I may need. Thank you again!

Hannah

Old 08-14-2008, 03:30 PM

That is a fair question NYCWoman. I am all about inclusion, as is the Bronx of the future. I am also an advocate of affordable housing as well, which is bridging the gap between the market rents and rents for those of the working/lower class. However, I am not an advocate of the Section 8 program in general, as it is not only rife with abuse, it has become a lifestyle, and not a "temporary helping hand" until someone gets on their feet. Sure there are SOME that actually use it for its purpose, to help with rent because of the lack of truly affordable housing for the working class/lower class that are needed in our city. However, the reality is there are far too many that abuse the program, expect the handout as a right (which it is not), and it becomes a lifestyle for them, their kids, grandkids, etc. When does it end? If Section 8 had some sort of limit, like 2 years for example, I would be much more enthusiastic about the program, as it would in fact be seen as a temporary helping hand, and would provide an incentive for people to get their act together. As it stands today, it is the equivalent of winning the lottery, and people just get comfortable and have no incentive to improve, for if they do they will be penalized, lose the voucher, and have to pay their own way. Who would want to do that when there is free money to be had? Furthermore, if you have ever participated in the program, you would know the monumental bureaucracy involved. You are typically dealing with multiple layers, including case workers, inspectors, and a few different NYC departments, and many of these workers are former Section 8 recipients, so you can imagine what you would be dealing with. I am not a fan either of the caliber of tenants that are on section 8, nor am I happy about having the city become a part of my tenant decisions/selections, etc. I am not generalizing nor stereotyping. I base my opinion on a variety/host of personal experience going back to the 80s. There is a reason why many section 8 tenants cannot find apts anymore; and if you dealt with these tenants and this city program, you would know why. The city does not offer thousands of dollars as a bonus for taking a section a tenant because they are wonderful or the program is great/easy/effective/efficient. As a result, I cannot in good faith recommend anyone accept a section 8 tenant. In fact, my neighbor just evicted a section 8 tenant from her building, took 7 months of course. She will never take section 8 again...and that keeps playing out over and over again across the city. Affordable housing goes about the whole thing a completely different way. The CITY provides the housing, and implements strict income guidelines and standards to qualify people for the new housing. It is the city's problem, and not one they lure me, or unsuspecting people into, with thousands in bonus money. I am all for providing a helping hand, but how many people do you know who have section 8 ever got off of it? I knew of 2..and they both left NYC!

Old 08-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Fair enough, Hypnotizzed. I see your point. I have also heard these same arguments from others, so in all probability the system is riddled with problems. On the other hand, I have heard many landlords who say they have done very well with Section 8.

I also know instances where perfectly "decent" people have suddenly found themselves in situations beyond their control and with little recourse but to accept aid. I've seen it here in NYC and I've seen it in California, where this system is known as "people living on HUD". I knew of many women (many white and middle class) who suddenly woke up one day with their husband gone (through divorce, sudden death, or outright abandonment) and several children to support. In a few instances, the husbands turned out to be deadbeat dads and didn't even pay the measly $200 in child support (for 2 kids in Southern California!!) that they were ordered to pay by a couple of moron judges who thought that amount sufficient to support two growing kids. These women were forced to accept help (and the shame that went with it) all the while trying to put their lives back together, find work and shelter and keep a brave smile on their face for their kids. I am sure there are hundreds of stories like this in every borough of the City.

Are there probably more of the instances you describe? Probably. But what about the others? A little compassion, sensitivity and judiciousness (even in just the language we use in internet blogs that hundreds will read) goes a very long way. I am a firm believer in that type of approach - especially if you are acting as a sort of de facto spokesperson for the new, emerging borough that you love so much.

Just a thought.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 10,575 times
Hello! Iam currently looking for an apt. in Brooklyn, NYC, or Queens. I have a working section 8 voucher. I have been employed (at the same place) for 9 years. Does anyone know a landlord that accepts this voucher? Are you a landlord that accepts this? I have been looking since June. I am trying to find a place and be settled before the start of the school year. Your help is truly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM

Hi Koren, I'm not sure who you are directing your question towards - me or Hannah. I myself am not currently a landlord or I would definitely be willing to meet with you.

One thing that you might do is put an ad on Craigs List and other online sites and make sure to let people know that you have been at the same job for 9 years (how many people can say that?), that you are also in school, etc. and therefore don't fit the negative stereotype that some people have of someone just living off of welfare, not willing to work or try to propel themselves further in life. Also, if you are able to provide a positive reference from a former landlord, that would go a long way.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't be of more assistance. Good luck to you!!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM

NYCWoman...I am all for compassion, but I am also a human beings and make decions based on my experiences, advice/experience of others, knowledge, and my own rationale and logic. And based on all of these factors, I cannot in good faith recommend this program, as I believe it does far more harm to the city and our society, than good. There is no doubt in my mind that this program is a godsend for many people, but until they restructure the entire program AND provide time limits, I will continue to be a firm opposer of Section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: