Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
if you buy a sponsor apt, and never live in it, can you rent it out immediately? is it considered sponsor until an owner actually lives in it?
you don't need board approval but other perks that go against house rules like subletting depend on what is in the offering plan as far as i know .

if you move in you lose all sponsor rights you do get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you don't need board approval but other perks that go against house rules like subletting depend on what is in the offering plan as far as i know .

if you move in you lose all sponsor rights you do get

IIRC only true benefit of purchasing a sponsor unit is bypassing the board approval process. Once you own shares said tenant would be subject to the same rules/regs as anyone else spelled out by the proprietary lease.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:33 AM

depends . we have retained full sponsor rights for our partnership and can sell to others with no board approval . we have retained all rights the original sponsor has .

it was quite common for investors to snatch up large blocks of apartments from the sponsor and negotiate carrying over all the perks of being a sponsor and to be an agent or partner of the sponsor . that is what our deal was .

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-23-2016 at 04:43 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I am looking to buy a Apt. condo but realized most apt. are co-cops owned by greedy developers/corporations.

downside is that you can't sublet or leave it to your family.
Any benefits of owning a co-cop? Why is this allowed. why not have all condos.

I am looking to be living long term.

"Co-ops make up about 75 percent of New York’s real estate market, and they are generally in buildings built before the 1980s. The combination of older buildings and units, fewer amenities and the hassle of board approval mean they tend to be cheaper than condos. However, you’ll usually have to pony up 20 percent or more for a co-op down payment, while with condos you can sometimes get away with less."

Co-op vs. Condo: Which One Is Right for You? - May 10, 2013 - NewYork.com

Your information is a little off. If I die, I can leave my coop to my family. And I can sublet after two years of living here. Very few coops in my area are 100% owner occupied but they are out there---I just chose not to seriously consider them when I was looking. Coops can have very different rules to play by.

Coops are substantially cheaper in my neighborhood than condos. Though, I am very surprised how much the prices have been shooting up, even in my own building. Good for me, because I got mine at a good price since it needed some work, but if I sell and have to buy another place, I won't really be ahead anymore.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:28 AM

you can always leave a co-op to heirs but subject to the proprietary lease is whether they can move in with no approval . some times if not approved they have to sell to someone who is approved

Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Let me get back to the title question:

Why aren't Co-ops regulated?

Regulated HOW?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:58 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Regulated HOW?
better yet...WHY should they be?

I loved co-ops when I lived in one. The good ones...pain to get in...once you are in, everything is kept under control...and keep the riff raff out. The bad ones...as in the poorly run ones, its a zoo gone wild.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 PM

546 posts, read 764,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Regulated HOW?
its like monopoly. taking majority of the steak.
condos are better. co ops are owned by corporations

Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
its like monopoly. taking majority of the steak.
condos are better. co ops are owned by corporations

But the people living in my coop ARE the corporation.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:25 AM

95 posts, read 154,740 times
I have a coop that I will rent out regardless of what is said in the offering plan. These units can be very difficult to sell and maintenance constantly goes up, some people don't pay and all sorts of issues. I don't know how anyone can prove that I don't live there anymore. You have to be extremely careful when buying into a coop. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City