Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,828,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Street gangs in NYC have basically been eliminated on the streets because of strong policing. So the only gangs that can operate now are out of view in housing projects. But sounds like the cops are really focusing on those projects, good news. The gangs will be kicked out, working poor apartments will open up for people on the NYCHA waiting list, and everyone will have more peace to live their lives
Which is why the police are focusing on the projects. With real estate prices as high as they are, NYCHA is needed for working poor and retirees who have only social security income. They cannot allow it to remain unsafe. If NYCHA isn't properly policed, allowing working poor and elderly (and disabled people) to fall prey to predators means the city by lack of policing is very COMPLICIT in their VICTIMIZATION.

I'm happy to hear this wonderful news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Cut off one snakes head, another will grow back. That's how it is here in NYC.
Not so true. The projects were UNDER policed as law enforcement in the past did not actually target criminals in them. Concern about poor project residents was just not there from the city.

Notice how crime just isn't tolerated in white areas, and it's not just because white people would complain and organize more against it.

Now the the projects are probably the only place that working class and elderly people can afford to live in, the city is responding by cleaning them up.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I disagree about no job opportunities. Everyone does not need to be employed by someone else. Go and learn a trade and work for yourself. It is sooooo hard to find good employees in the construction field. It is saturated with handymen. When we wanted to brick a portion of our house it tooks us three months to find a good contractor with skilled employees. I insisted on seeing their actual work. When we finally settled on someone we had to wait a month for the job to start because he was so busy and he starts and completes one job at a time.
He collected $20k for one month work.
Same thing for our carpenter. I am extremely particular on how my work should be completed. I bought my carpeneter lunch everyday because his attention to detail surpassed my expectation and I know how hard it is to find good employees. He earned $10k in one month. His phone rang nonestop with job offers when he was working at our house.

There is a shortage of good skilled workers and there is alot of money to be made in the field.

P.s. the contractor who bricked our house could barely count!! He brought his nephew everytime he collected money and the nephew counted everytime! The one time he came alone he didn't count the money when my husband handed it to him.
A lot of people earn income from using services like Airbnb and Lyft or Uber.

Mind you welfare has policies that penalize people for earning income.

Welfare agencies should encourage people to work more, and instead of just closing cases just make people pay a higher portion of their rent.

Some housing project residents in projects in convenient places like Chelsea or the LES could make a lot of money renting out rooms in their projects. They should not be penalized for earning income that helps reduce their government dependency and in the long run may help them leave it.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one1 View Post
I for one have no issues with this. I am quick to condemn the police when they kill someone recklessly but I still give them their due credit when they remove people who are terrorizing a neighborhood.
I don't do Harlem in any way shape or form because it's a well know fact certain areas are no go areas especially if you don't live there and seen as an outsider.
Hopefully they continue cleaning up, but as someone stated, you get rid of the top gangs and the smaller ones just take their place.
These kids/adults have little opportunity for securing decent jobs that can get them out the projects, so they resort to crime to get money.
You're being ridiculous about Harlem. It's not that bad, though some parts a certainly worse than others.

Welfare policies favor single mothers who don't work, and penalize those people on welfare who start to earn money. Instead of immediately kicking them off welfare because their income goes above a certain level, give them a grace period and let them save up money before reducing their benefits. It's the policy of the system that discourages these people from finding work and encourages broken family. Change the public policy while continuing to arrest gangsters and you fix the problem.

As it is NYC will end up dealing with the matter, since the only place long term for people who work in retail, the service sector, and other low wage jobs in the housing projects. Get rid of them criminals and make the housing projects for working people or retirees on social security.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 AM

18,850 posts, read 13,745,358 times
Obviously a racist takedown of misunderstood youth. Someone should sue these cops!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,862,122 times
Good,

I'll feel safer shopping at Dollar Tree.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:31 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,355,144 times
a major gang kidnapped by a bigger gang

Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,805,257 times
Props to the gang member being arrested wearing the t-shirt that says "LAZY" on it.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 PM

931 posts, read 796,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
a major gang kidnapped by a bigger gang
You always have some stupid sh** to say, you know that.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:36 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,935,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Will Al Sharpton be protesting this?
nope as hi don't give a damn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: