Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 05:01 PM

54 posts, read 48,996 times

Advertisements

If Liang would have "accidentlly" killed an unarmed resident in the building he was patrolling...and that person happened to be
a loved one of yours...I guarantee that your response would be different. What does that mean? you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 05:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omari7 View Post
If Liang would have "accidentlly" killed an unarmed resident in the building he was patrolling...and that person happened to be
a loved one of yours...I guarantee that your response would be different. What does that mean? you think about it.
A family experiencing death will always be biased, and most would want no less punishment for the offending party in their eyes

That doesn't mean our justice system should be regulated and tried by victim's families.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:08 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,252,842 times
Liang's gun permit should be revoked. He shouldn't even look at a gun.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:25 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omari7 View Post
True, but that's why we remove folks (or attempt to do so) having such biases from the judicial process by requiring impartial judges/jurors/etc. Note, while Liang's response in the aftermath of the shooting was shameful and I find it hard to be sympathetic for him, I don't want him punished too harshly either. While certainly unsuitable to be a police officer, the fact that he was out there putting his life on the line to improve our communities should factor into the DA's sentencing recommendation; he just wasn't some old Joe Schmo walking around with a gun who recklessly discharged it. I don't know if NO Jail time at all is appropriate, but its not so out of line that I'm protesting against it either. What I do have a problem with, however, is that the judge in this case reduced the jury's verdict to some lesser charge. Note, the DA is appealing this part of the sentencing, so we'll see what happens.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 PM

419 posts, read 625,441 times
fair sentencing. should jailed for at least 1 or 2 years, 5 years seem too much for shooting at the wall.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
This is crap. His conviction was for 2nd degree manslaughter -- recklessly but unintentionally killing someone. That's a class C felony carrying 3.5 to 15 years, which is what he should have gotten. Any non-cop would have gotten that (plus about a million years for weapons offenses). But because he's a cop the system lets him off with a class E and no jail time.

Recklessly: "A person acts recklessly with respect to a result or
to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is
aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk
that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk
must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a
gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person
would observe in the situation. A person who creates such a risk but is
unaware thereof solely by reason of voluntary intoxication also acts
recklessly with respect thereto."

Walking around a residence on routine patrol with your finger on the trigger is reckless.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,009 times
Hopefully this will breed more Ismaaiyl Abdullah Brinsley's.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:21 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Any non-cop would have gotten that (plus about a million years for weapons offenses). But because he's a cop the system lets him off with a class E and no jail time.
An average person would be out of line if he did what Liang did because they're not supposed to be patrolling for crime. But Liang was a police officer patrolling for crime. Big difference. A rookie cop patrolling one of the most dangerous areas in the city.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:45 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Hopefully this will breed more Ismaaiyl Abdullah Brinsley's.
Agreed, so we can slaughter them. Best case, BLM goes full-tilt so we can wipe them out.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,471,953 times
Refresh me: why did he have his gun out of his holster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City