Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times

Advertisements

Age plays a part too. Your metabolism slows, your muscle/fat ratio gets smaller but your eating habits remain pretty constant.

Who has not marveled at THIS transformation over 25 years: (24 Famous People Who Couldn’t Stop Eating and Got Fat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Age plays a part too. Your metabolism slows, your muscle/fat ratio gets smaller but your eating habits remain pretty constant.

Who has not marveled at THIS transformation over 25 years: (24 Famous People Who Couldn’t Stop Eating and Got Fat)
Oh my.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 AM

25 posts, read 37,871 times
"Should we replace eating with smoking a pack of cigarettes a day like the Eastern Europeans do?"

I totally agree, that's a factor too! Though no, don't agree we should pick up the habit.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol I'm not making up excuses. Also genetics plays apart in obesity.
Well, I don't believe that genetics play a part in obesity. I think that's an excuse. We all carry diseases in our genes that are triggered either by our behaviors or by the environment. With that being said, I blame ignorance to a degree. For instance, corn, soy, papaya, wheat, barley, and rye are all genetically modified here in the US. Eating that morning toast is the equivalent of eating a Snickers bar - it's all glucose.

That's why back in the day, people weren't really fat - look at clips from WWII, and you'll see everyone super skinny. Look at anything from the 1970's and beyond and you'll see many overweight people. That is when GMO's started to take effect.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Well, I don't believe that genetics play a part in obesity. I think that's an excuse. We all carry diseases in our genes that are triggered either by our behaviors or by the environment. With that being said, I blame ignorance to a degree. For instance, corn, soy, papaya, wheat, barley, and rye are all genetically modified here in the US. Eating that morning toast is the equivalent of eating a Snickers bar - it's all glucose.

That's why back in the day, people weren't really fat - look at clips from WWII, and you'll see everyone super skinny. Look at anything from the 1970's and beyond and you'll see many overweight people. That is when GMO's started to take effect.
Wow. So much misinformation. First of all, despite what you may believe, genetics do play a part in obesity/fitness. Everyone is different, you can have two individuals, with similar diets, and similar exercise habits, and one will be "fitter" or leaner than the other. That is because our metabolism, and the way our bodies process and store fat has a lot to do with our genetics. I'm not saying obese people are obese simply because of genetics, but to dismiss genetics as a factor in fitness is ignorant. Genetics are not an excuse for people to be obese, but it does mean that certain individuals have to work harder than others to be fit.

Your comment about GMO's is also ridiculous. Obesity is not a novelty caused by GMO's. It's almost always caused by over-eating and lack of exercise. In some past societies, obesity was even once seen as a sign of wealth. Why? Because it meant that you were well off enough to afford enough food to over-eat and live a comfy life. Something similar is happening today, except it's become an epidemic. Food, especially junk food, is relatively inexpensive while our way of life has become extremely sedentary in comparison to the past. Our economy has shifted from agricultural, to industrial, to a services and consumption economy. The majority of us are no longer working on farms, or working in labor intensive industries. This is not a new concept, health officials are well aware of this problem, but there's no easy fix. Public awareness about health can help push those with means to become healthier, but for low-income families its much more complicated.

And btw, it's laughable that you would use clips of the WWII era as some sort of proof. Photography and recordings were rare, and not at all indicative of the society at large. It's not like today where everyone can take pictures and record at will. Photographs and videos of the era are largely focused on the war. Mass production of food was also an issue back then. Remember the great depression? People were literally suffering from malnutrition. Comparing that to today is disingenuous.

I hope you realize that there are no conclusive studies that show GMOs having any serious negative affects. GMO's have helped us produce drought resistant crops, reduce our use of pesticide, feed an enormous amount of people and numerous other benefits. Using natural methods, it would be extremely expensive, if not impossible to support 7 billion people. Human's are an anomaly in nature, and relying on nature is fool hardy. That is not to say that companies like Monsanto don't have some shady business ethics, or that we shouldn't conduct thorough studies on the affects of GMO's, but to over-react and ban GMO's is ridiculous.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:30 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
Another reason why some people don't go to class reunions. Because of changes in their appearance, could be weight gain or
weight loss. Being extra skinny is not healthy either. If you can't afford to eat healthy do portion control. Exercise at your own
pace, you don't have to go to a gym do some walking. Or buy a exercise bike they don't cost that much money. You'll be able to
ride it at any time use it at least three times a week for ten, fifteen, twenty minutes or more if you can handle it.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:53 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Wow. So much misinformation. First of all, despite what you may believe, genetics do play a part in obesity/fitness. Everyone is different, you can have two individuals, with similar diets, and similar exercise habits, and one will be "fitter" or leaner than the other. That is because our metabolism, and the way our bodies process and store fat has a lot to do with our genetics. I'm not saying obese people are obese simply because of genetics, but to dismiss genetics as a factor in fitness is ignorant. Genetics are not an excuse for people to be obese, but it does mean that certain individuals have to work harder than others to be fit.

Your comment about GMO's is also ridiculous. Obesity is not a novelty caused by GMO's. It's almost always caused by over-eating and lack of exercise. In some past societies, obesity was even once seen as a sign of wealth. Why? Because it meant that you were well off enough to afford enough food to over-eat and live a comfy life. Something similar is happening today, except it's become an epidemic. Food, especially junk food, is relatively inexpensive while our way of life has become extremely sedentary in comparison to the past. Our economy has shifted from agricultural, to industrial, to a services and consumption economy. The majority of us are no longer working on farms, or working in labor intensive industries. This is not a new concept, health officials are well aware of this problem, but there's no easy fix. Public awareness about health can help push those with means to become healthier, but for low-income families its much more complicated.

And btw, it's laughable that you would use clips of the WWII era as some sort of proof. Photography and recordings were rare, and not at all indicative of the society at large. It's not like today where everyone can take pictures and record at will. Photographs and videos of the era are largely focused on the war. Mass production of food was also an issue back then. Remember the great depression? People were literally suffering from malnutrition. Comparing that to today is disingenuous.

I hope you realize that there are no conclusive studies that show GMOs having any serious negative affects. GMO's have helped us produce drought resistant crops, reduce our use of pesticide, feed an enormous amount of people and numerous other benefits. Using natural methods, it would be extremely expensive, if not impossible to support 7 billion people. Human's are an anomaly in nature, and relying on nature is fool hardy. That is not to say that companies like Monsanto don't have some shady business ethics, or that we shouldn't conduct thorough studies on the affects of GMO's, but to over-react and ban GMO's is ridiculous.
Agree with your post.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:

Repped. The genetics of crops haven't changed that much. The problem is that people overeat and don't exercise. Also some people eat when STRESSED or UPSET, and this compounds the problem. And there is also the lack of exercise. But realistically few people have the time to spend hours in the gym each day, so the easiest way to lose way is to reduce how much you eat. Particularly be aware that as you get older you don't metabolize things as fast, so you need to cut back on your diet.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 AM

311 posts, read 292,630 times
A woman doesn't have to be overweight to have a nice derriere, it's a genetic thing.
That's like saying that women have to be fat to have a nice pair of breasts.
As far as exercising, you can outrun a bad diet.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:10 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:

Lets agree to disagree because not too long ago, someone I had dated put me on a Paleo diet, and I went from my normal - albeit healthy weight of 123 lbs (I'm a 5'4 small-framed woman), and immediately, within the week - yes, during only one week- my weight dropped to 114 lbs.

I had to push the metaphorical, "red button" on that bread-free diet and re-introduce bread back into my diet just so that my family and co-workers would stop thinking that I was on some kind of illicit drug.

Anyways, shortly after, I did the research on wheat, and came across a book by William Davis called, "Wheat Belly".

You don't have to buy the book to read why today's Monsanto's grains are destructive to health.
Here's the link. Read the part about Dr. William Davis' biography:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lo.../dp/1609614798
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City