Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

America's Largest City Is Failing Its Young People

Looks like gentrification isn't working out so well as the percentage of people in high paying careers in NYC has actually DECREASED since 2000. Expansions in tech have not been able to make up for the loss of financial sector jobs. Wall Street lost jobs due to jobs being relocated out of the city, due to industry consolidation, and due to technology making many positions redundant.

Oh but rents are much higher. Meaning more people are going to be paying high rents for ROOMS, not apartments, and they on a long term basis are unlikely to be able to get their own apartment, much less buy property (unless they go somewhere else). There aren't really enough high paying jobs to sustain a reasonable standard of living in the city.

So while more millennials have bachelor degrees and they are less likely to be convicts (and more likely to be white or Asian), their overall pay has DECLINED since 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 05:15 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Stop with everything being about gentrification. Please just stop.

As for the wider trend, it's scary. Many current Wall Street jobs can be totally automated. We may one day see the end of Wall St as we know it. Bloomberg was smart to see the writing on the wall and push the city towards being a tech hub.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
For the transplant millennial, job market must still be brutal in your home city and suburb. So the liberal politician looks to move you elsewhere.

As for the native, the liberal politicians keep doing you wrong. Come to your senses. They really don't care for you. They only care about ways to control you.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 AM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
I actually agree there. Southeastern Queens is a perfect example of that. Black politicians with mainly black constituents who use the race card occasionally but do nothing to solve the chronic problems that only seem to get worse.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
For the transplant millennial, job market must still be brutal in your home city and suburb. So the liberal politician looks to move you elsewhere.
I didn't get that impression from reading the report. 80% of US transplants have a bachelor degree or higher and 60% of bachelor degree or higher millennials comes from outside of NYC. It speaks more to how poor the education system in NYC is at fulfilling employers demands and how the city is trying to attract highly skilled workers from outside of NYC. One item that surprise me was in absolute terms we have more foreign born highly skilled transplants coming to NYC than US transplants.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I didn't get that impression from reading the report. 80% of US transplants have a bachelor degree or higher and 60% of bachelor degree or higher comes from outside of NYC. It speaks more to how bad the education system in NYC is at fulfilling employers demands and how the city is trying to attract highly skilled workers from outside of NYC. One item that surprise me was in absolute terms we have more foreign born highly skilled transplants coming to NYC than US transplants (I define highly skilled by people with bachelor degree or higher).
If not attracting people from outside of the country.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:58 AM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
I really don't like the idea that schools have to raise their standards solely for the purpose of pandering to businesses. Education institutions should improve themselves for the good of society. Who cares about what some corporate executive in some random office wants?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
millennial's expectations is also out of whacked. There is always another side of that coin

Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I really don't like the idea that schools have to raise their standards solely for the purpose of pandering to businesses. Education institutions should improve themselves for the good of society. Who cares about what some corporate executive in some random office wants?
The guy who can't get a job from some corporate executive in some random office cares. How many people in college attend just to better themselves? Most attend because it's essentially a prerequisite to getting a better job.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I didn't get that impression from reading the report. 80% of US transplants have a bachelor degree or higher and 60% of bachelor degree or higher millennials comes from outside of NYC. It speaks more to how poor the education system in NYC is at fulfilling employers demands and how the city is trying to attract highly skilled workers from outside of NYC. One item that surprise me was in absolute terms we have more foreign born highly skilled transplants coming to NYC than US transplants.
How is any education system going to satisfy the requirements of the good private jobs in NYC? Let's see, for the intellectually demanding jobs you need to be highly educated as well as have an IQ in the top 2-3 percentile. For many well paid jobs in finance, you need to be smart/educated, well rounded/spoken, and if you're a chick being hot would be a bonus attribute. For media and other somewhat competitive jobs that don't require a hard skill it can be more about cultural fit so it helps to be well rounded/traveled, good personality, decent looking, have interesting stuff to talk about, and etc. And many of these soft traits are pretty expensive to develop (e.g. trip to India/Vietnam/SE Asia/Cuba which is what many trendy young transplants have been doing the past 5 years to be in the "in-crowd" isn't cheap) so it doesn't bode too well for poor NYC residents regardless of their education. If anything 99% of all cities failed their talented and resourceful youths who in turn leave to seek better opportunities that match their qualifications in NYC even if it involves just low-end work. I guess working in a gallery making crap money beats working at Target in Nowwheretown, Ohio.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 04-26-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City