Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:13 AM

95 posts, read 154,653 times

Advertisements

NYS has a new rule for tints and it will be inspected during the useless yearly inspection. Today I received a ticket from a cop with nothing better to do. Can I remove the tint for the ticket to be dismissed? Anyone had any experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,746 times
The tint law is nothing new, it hasn't changed in years. The new part is that they are also checking it at inspection now. You won't be able to pass inspection with illegal tint any longer.

Edit: It is unlikely they will dismiss the ticket if you take it off, but you can certainly try. They may at least reduce the fine.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,579 times
What if it is a car with out of state plates?

Old 03-22-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
What if it is a car with out of state plates?
You can maybe get out of it. Lots of times it is easier to just pay. If you want to get out of it, use New York Vehicle & Traffic Law, Sec. 250(1). Basically, you prove your vehicle is registered in another state, you are not required to register your vehicle in NY, you are not a resident of NY who failed to register their vehicle in NY, and that your tint is lawful in the state the vehicle is registered.

In a perfect world I guess NYC cops wouldn't write tint tickets against out of state plates, but hey, they do.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,466,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
NYS has a new rule for tints and it will be inspected during the useless yearly inspection. Today I received a ticket from a cop with nothing better to do. Can I remove the tint for the ticket to be dismissed? Anyone had any experience?
Useless yearly safety inspections... A Cop with nothing else better to do...

Why don't they just let you do what you want when you want to!??! OMG Poor baby!

I remember when men were men and took responsibility, now it's all everyone else's fault.

Guess what, I have 20% tint on my car, if I ever get stopped and ticketed I will pay up. I know that 20% is illegal in NYC, just as you do. I am just taking a calculated risk until i get caught. I'm not going to blame the cop or go running back to mommy.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM

95 posts, read 154,653 times
You sound like the one crying. The inspection ever single year where they do abasolutely nothing is just a way for them to make money. It could be every 2 or so years. Here am I waiting in a stop sign when a police office comes knocking on my passenger side window in the middle of rush hour trying to get to work. He has nothing better to do.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
You sound like the one crying. The inspection ever single year where they do abasolutely nothing is just a way for them to make money. It could be every 2 or so years. Here am I waiting in a stop sign when a police office comes knocking on my passenger side window in the middle of rush hour trying to get to work. He has nothing better to do.
Nothing better to do than ticket things that are against the law? Kinda his job. But anyway, count yourself lucky. I've been needlessly delayed at NYC window tint checkpoints more than once over the years. Hopefully they'll stop pulling that crap now that it will be checked yearly at inspection.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

Why don't they just let you do what you want when you want to!??! OMG Poor baby!

I remember when men were men and took responsibility, now it's all everyone else's fault.

Guess what, I have 20% tint on my car, if I ever get stopped and ticketed I will pay up. I know that 20% is illegal in NYC, just as you do. I am just taking a calculated risk until i get caught. I'm not going to blame the cop or go running back to mommy.
I assume you're all for deporting anyone who is in this country illegally then.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,466,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I assume you're all for deporting anyone who is in this country illegally then.
Illegal Alien with a Criminal record (on top of entering illegally that is) 100% Deport

Illegal Alien grandma that has been here for 35 years? Up for debate

Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

Pretty much what I would do if I was stopped and cited for tint. It's all part of the game bro. Here's how a hardcore ***** rolls. When I get my cars inspected now I tell the mechanic to take the tint off, inspect it, pass it, then send it to the tint shop (that he owns) and retint them. Here is my $100x4 and see you next year ya' prick bastard. ****ing guy is making money hand over fist because of this new "law."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City