Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 13,250 times

Advertisements

If I got a mba with a major in accountancy from baruch, would I have a realistic chance at getting a job in nyc? A lot of the jobs I'm looking at list a bachelors in accounting as a requirement so would a masters overlook that requirement? (I have no undergrad major in accounting, only natural science). basically, im thinking about doing a 180 from the sciences and going into accounting. Any advice/info would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
CPA here, the accounting job market is strong and healthy but you need to use your school's career services. Baruch has the most accounting grads working in Wall St and public accounting in NYC. The key is that you must have a good GPA because it is competitive with so many accounting students. Busy season just ended and accounting firms usually hire one year in advance beginning in the fall. Again, use your school's career office and website.

Since virtually all states now require 150 credits in order to qualify for the CPA exam, many accounting programs by default are bachelors-masters hybrid. I know most firms won't even look at you if you don't/won't meet the 150 by your start date.

It will greatly help you if you have relevant accounting work experience/internships.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 13,250 times
Thanks for the response. And wow never knew a city college would have such a name. I'm a hell of a hard worker and aced premed in my school so I can definitely fight my way through an accounting program. I already have 152 credits from my bachelor's in natural science, so if I take the masters program would I be a healthy applicant for cpa jobs in the city? Also, a lot of jobs list a bachelors as a requirement for accounting jobs, would the masters in accounting+mba from baruch bypass that even though I have no bachelor-level experience in accounting? Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
Thanks for the response. And wow never knew a city college would have such a name. I'm a hell of a hard worker and aced premed in my school so I can definitely fight my way through an accounting program. I already have 152 credits from my bachelor's in natural science, so if I take the masters program would I be a healthy applicant for cpa jobs in the city? Also, a lot of jobs list a bachelors as a requirement for accounting jobs, would the masters in accounting+mba from baruch bypass that even though I have no bachelor-level experience in accounting? Thanks again.
Baruch is well regarded for its accounting program even though it is a public school and not as selective as other competitively ranked private institutions. (Note: the best ranked accounting program in the nation is also a public school, UT Austin).

Again, the key to getting a good accounting job (whether private or public) is having a good GPA, relevant work experience and a little extracurricular (such as clubs, volunteer etc). Most of the accounting jobs are right here in NYC but the competition is intense because accounting, unlike sciences/engineering, is a relatively easy major. Bachelors is the bare minimum but if you're taking the CPA track you basically need a Masters because most firms won't look at you.

If you don't have the experience, start networking like crazy for entry level tax, audit, general accounting or consulting jobs. It would greatly help if you had strong Excel skills (ACL would be a bonus) and knowledge of Quickbooks. Grades alone aren't good enough, people skills is important because we collaborate a lot on engagements and nothing sucks more than working with a difficult co-worker.

It won't be easy but all the best.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:54 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
There are always a need for an accountant...especially NYC

Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Keep in mind though that the competition here is insane. Because all of the millenials that started out with degrees in the arts are now switching over to accounting for job safety. So now, not only are you competing with fresh graduates and people with years of experience, but people who are switching over just to make money.

The field is oversaturated right now. I've slowly sent out resumes here and there and have heard nothing even though I have 20 years under my belt.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:09 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Big Ol' Tidday Accountant here. Yes, it's pretty good.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:12 PM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
This topic bugs me since I'll be studying accounting for 2 years starting in a few months. More reason to look outside of this city for a job.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Keep in mind though that the competition here is insane. Because all of the millenials that started out with degrees in the arts are now switching over to accounting for job safety. So now, not only are you competing with fresh graduates and people with years of experience, but people who are switching over just to make money.

The field is oversaturated right now. I've slowly sent out resumes here and there and have heard nothing even though I have 20 years under my belt.
They been saying that for 20 years. All the finance majors switching over to accounting...blah blah blah. Fact is accounting is not a sexy profession and frankly quite boring. I have been in and out of accounting jobs for a while now and frankly coming in to reconcile the monthly sales/inventory/banks doesn't exactly make people jump out of bed for.

OP, the 150 hours is the requirement to sit for the CPA exam.

You need 150 hours of college credits that include 30 hours of business classes and 15 hours of accounting classes. Check the New York CPA for specific requirements.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
They been saying that for 20 years. All the finance majors switching over to accounting...blah blah blah. Fact is accounting is not a sexy profession and frankly quite boring. I have been in and out of accounting jobs for a while now and frankly coming in to reconcile the monthly sales/inventory/banks doesn't exactly make people jump out of bed for.

OP, the 150 hours is the requirement to sit for the CPA exam.

You need 150 hours of college credits that include 30 hours of business classes and 15 hours of accounting classes. Check the New York CPA for specific requirements.
Probably should try something more exciting like auditing or consulting. I know it ain't the most glamorous profession but those two areas, unlike tax, are really interesteing and you may get to travel a lot depending on the type, size and global footprint of your clients.

The switching is generally the other way around: most of my friends in the Big 4 and other public accounting firms seek exit opportunities into finance and investment banking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: