Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Stick a fork in it, it's done! Obviously all those protests including those by local elected officials had no effect what so ever.

Extortionary Rent Hike Kills One Of Chelsea's Last Affordable Supermarkets: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 02:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Wow. I wonder if transient well to do types shop at associated over whole foods or trader Joe's? It seems to me that the income demographic of Chelsea can not support associated vs whole foods or trader Joe's which have pricey items and there fore can afford the rent.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wow. I wonder if transient well to do types shop at associated over whole foods or trader Joe's? It seems to me that the income demographic of Chelsea can not support associated vs whole foods or trader Joe's which have pricey items and there fore can afford the rent.
Wealthy transients do not shop at Associated. They prefer Trader Joes and Whole Foods. In a few years with all these local grocery stores going out of business Trader Joes and Whole Foods will need to expand.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Wealthy transients do not shop at Associated. They prefer Trader Joes and Whole Foods. In a few years with all these local grocery stores going out of business Trader Joes and Whole Foods will need to expand.
There you go again; running your mouth about something you know nothing about.

Plenty of residents from that part of Chelsea from *all* income brackets used that Associated supermarket. I know because not only used to live down there, but have plenty of friends who still do so.

Do you know where the nearest Tj's and Whole Foods are in relation to this Associated and or that part of Chelsea in general? TJ's is all the way across 14th at Union Square. Whole Foods is slightly closer on Seventh Avenue near FIT, but still. If you live in London Terrace or anywhere else around there and want something quickly that Associated filled a need.

Yes if coming home or going past the aforementioned Whole Foods on Seventh people will go in to get what they need. That and or if they are up for the walk or whatever...

Associated Supermarket - Grocery - 255 W 14th St - Chelsea - New York, NY - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Old 05-04-2016, 05:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
How about Chelsea market?

Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
At least Fulton Houses still got Western Beef.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
At least Fulton Houses still got Western Beef.

Ewww! Western Beef!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There you go again; running your mouth about something you know nothing about.

Plenty of residents from that part of Chelsea from *all* income brackets used that Associated supermarket. I know because not only used to live down there, but have plenty of friends who still do so.

Do you know where the nearest Tj's and Whole Foods are in relation to this Associated and or that part of Chelsea in general? TJ's is all the way across 14th at Union Square. Whole Foods is slightly closer on Seventh Avenue near FIT, but still. If you live in London Terrace or anywhere else around there and want something quickly that Associated filled a need.

Yes if coming home or going past the aforementioned Whole Foods on Seventh people will go in to get what they need. That and or if they are up for the walk or whatever...

Associated Supermarket - Grocery - 255 W 14th St - Chelsea - New York, NY - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

BULL CRAP. There's a Chelsea right on 21st and 6th Ave that my friend from the Elliot Houses/Chelsea Houses (in Chelsea of course) goes too ALL the time and he's on food stamps. In fact, that's my preferred Trader Joe's along with the one on 72nd in Manhattan. There's also a Western Beef on 17th street at the Fulton Houses. No way do people have to travel AAAAAAALLLLL the way to Union Square on 3rd Ave and 14th street like you say.

And more people should walk anyway! A bunch of freaking lazy bums these days.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:12 PM

222 posts, read 714,942 times
I have lived in the area for more than 35 years. A lot of people shop at the West Side Market on 7th Ave. between 14th and 15th Street. The prices are reasonable, and the produce section is very nicely arranged with a lot of organic fruits and vegetables.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
BULL CRAP. There's a Chelsea right on 21st and 6th Ave that my friend from the Elliot Houses/Chelsea Houses (in Chelsea of course) goes too ALL the time and he's on food stamps. In fact, that's my preferred Trader Joe's along with the one on 72nd in Manhattan. There's also a Western Beef on 17th street at the Fulton Houses. No way do people have to travel AAAAAAALLLLL the way to Union Square on 3rd Ave and 14th street like you say.

And more people should walk anyway! A bunch of freaking lazy bums these days.
I haven't been to the TJ's on 21st and 6th yet, but when I walked by it, it looked about 5x larger than that tiny one on 14th and 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City