Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:45 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
We've been talking about mismanagement by the MTA in this thread. Doing it one tunnel at a time would certainly be mismanagement. For one thing, it would likelier be costlier to do. Secondly, it doesn't even help riders that much anyway; it won't be a one seat rider with the shuttle bus between Bedford and Lorimer. The 15 minute headways severely limits capacity too.

Apparently you are not following this closely.

MTA's preferred option would be plan "A"; shutting down the L between Manhattan and Brooklyn period for about 18 months. That idea lead to such moaning that plan "B" was up with with; doing one tunnel at time but stretching the total project out for a few years.

L Train Shutdown: Here's What You Missed at the MTA's Big L...

This what comes when you have a political enterprise running transit. If the MTA was private or same was running the show they would likely just do what they have to do within their best interests; shut the thing down and get work over with quickly.

Again it isn't the Brooklyn service/riders doing the most moaning; but the large and increasing number of persons who now use the "L" train to get to and back from Manhattan.

People call the MTA "mismanaged" which may or may not be wholly true. But it is very difficult to make decisions that everyone is happy about. Especially when you have to please several masters. Every time the MTA makes any move on major infrastructure or maintenance projects *somebody* moans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 04:43 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Apparently you are not following this closely.

MTA's preferred option would be plan "A"; shutting down the L between Manhattan and Brooklyn period for about 18 months. That idea lead to such moaning that plan "B" was up with with; doing one tunnel at time but stretching the total project out for a few years.

L Train Shutdown: Here's What You Missed at the MTA's Big L...

This what comes when you have a political enterprise running transit. If the MTA was private or same was running the show they would likely just do what they have to do within their best interests; shut the thing down and get work over with quickly.

Again it isn't the Brooklyn service/riders doing the most moaning; but the large and increasing number of persons who now use the "L" train to get to and back from Manhattan.

People call the MTA "mismanaged" which may or may not be wholly true. But it is very difficult to make decisions that everyone is happy about. Especially when you have to please several masters. Every time the MTA makes any move on major infrastructure or maintenance projects *somebody* moans.
Because somebody always moans, the MTA should just do what's most efficient. Perhaps the choice that they're providing is just to make it more palatable to riders. They might be planning on the full closure all along.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:19 AM

14 posts, read 14,723 times
This city is way too big for the infrastructure we have. We're way past due on some significant improvements.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Not whole NYC the whole country is outdated compare to Japan and some European countries.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,195,956 times
It stinks as well

Old 05-07-2016, 10:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
In order for the mta to get up to speed and modernize for the future. It's going to take alot of money for the mta to get where it is. Everyone will have to pay their fairs have for MTA upgrades, from increased rolls and fares. Nyc transportation infrastructure is a joke, LGA airport needs to be torndown. Penn Station needs to be expanded. Path station at wtc and Hudson yards 7 line should not cost billions of dollars to build one station. Port authority bus terminal and station are deplorable. Grand Central is a diamond in the rough. If nyc wants to be the leading city of the 21st century, it will boil down to transportation. Thank God London is thr best city on earth.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:33 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
I cannot remember the last time I had to take the train at rush hour. Barely ever take it at all for that matter. And I thank the baby jeebus every day for such a blessing. I will die a happy man if I never have to hop on for the rest of my days. But alas, sometimes it is necessary if going into the city. It is infrequent enough that it does not enrage me though.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I cannot remember the last time I had to take the train at rush hour. Barely ever take it at all for that matter. And I thank the baby jeebus every day for such a blessing. I will die a happy man if I never have to hop on for the rest of my days. But alas, sometimes it is necessary if going into the city. It is infrequent enough that it does not enrage me though.
I used to drive to work when I worked in Downtown Brooklyn. I'm not a morning person, so although it was more convenient, it was more of a hassle for me waking up and then having to jump to such a high mode of concentration, people drive like crap during rush hour and you always gotta be alert. So I like taking the train; I can either listen to music, read or take a nap. I live near the end of a line too so I always get a seat.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2016, 11:14 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We've covered this already. The NYC subway system was largely built and owned by private companies and it ended badly.
what? private companies started the IRT and BMT and made money hand over fist. The city got jealous and started their own IND line and then muscled the IRT and BMT into selling to them. The subway was a huge business, it stopped making money when the government got involved

Old 05-07-2016, 04:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
In order for the mta to get up to speed and modernize for the future. It's going to take alot of money for the mta to get where it is. Everyone will have to pay their fairs have for MTA upgrades, from increased rolls and fares. Nyc transportation infrastructure is a joke, LGA airport needs to be torndown. Penn Station needs to be expanded. Path station at wtc and Hudson yards 7 line should not cost billions of dollars to build one station. Port authority bus terminal and station are deplorable. Grand Central is a diamond in the rough. If nyc wants to be the leading city of the 21st century, it will boil down to transportation. Thank God London is thr best city on earth.
How many billions of dollars will all this cost? The Post Office is being made a part of Penn Station, but that is an expensive conversion. They finish Phase One of this conversion now, next is Phase 2. They are going to spend 20 billion to build two new Amtrak/NJ Transit tunnels into Penn Station. To extend the Q train from 57th and 7th to 96th and Second cost 4.5 billion dollars. That's Phase One which finishes this year. To build phases 2-4 will cost an additional 12 billion. Phase 2 is already funded. LIRR is being built to Grand Central, while Metro North is being built to Penn Station (using Amtrak tracks that go through the Bronx, into Queens, and into Penn Station and using Amtrak tracks that go along the West Side of Manhattan). Studies are being done in reactivating Rockaway Beach LIRR in Queens and the Westside train in Staten Island.

Los Angeles is undergoing a massive expansion in rail service paid for in part by a sales tax increase. Los Angeles issues bonds, and the bondholders are paid back from the sales taxes. Bloomberg built the very deel 7 train station (deep because the 7 had to go under the A, C, E, LIRR/Amtrak/NJ Transit tunnels, and the Lincoln Tunnel) and the deepness of the station is part of the expense.

The current capital budget is 29 billion, and covers Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway, buying new rolling stock to replace the r46s (trains with the orange bucket seats on the A and R trains), expanding Metro North into Penn Station, upgrading more lines to CBTC, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City