Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 04:19 PM

139 posts, read 129,755 times

Advertisements

the subway is worse than ever. friends who normally shrug things off in that very new york way now can't take it anymore.

but "overcrowding" is only part of the problem (or not actually the problem. cities grow.) and is an attempt to let the mta off the hook. what about failing infrastructure and lack of planning and foresight. signal failure seems to be just as much of a problem as crowded trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 04:28 PM

391 posts, read 285,560 times
I don't think privatization is necessary. I just think that riders should pay the full cost like they do in other cities. That doesn't require privatization. It's a more reliable source of funding than political will, which isn't always there. And I know that you'll argue that it won't work because driving is subsidized but I also think that drivers should pay the full cost of their infrastructure.It's a more reliable source of funding than political will, which isn't always there.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:28 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnomad View Post
the subway is worse than ever. friends who normally shrug things off in that very new york way now can't take it anymore.

but "overcrowding" is only part of the problem (or not actually the problem. cities grow.) and is an attempt to let the mta off the hook. what about failing infrastructure and lack of planning and foresight. signal failure seems to be just as much of a problem as crowded trains.
2nd Avenue subway was planned decades ago, but without funding it didn't go anywhere. It all comes down to money.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstsunami55 View Post
I don't think privatization is necessary. I just think that riders should pay the full cost like they do in other cities. That doesn't require privatization. It's a more reliable source of funding than political will, which isn't always there. And I know that you'll argue that it won't work because driving is subsidized but I also think that drivers should pay the full cost of their infrastructure.It's a more reliable source of funding than political will, which isn't always there.
What cities do riders pay full cost?

Old 05-06-2016, 04:58 PM

186 posts, read 220,230 times
You make the MTA pvt and that company would go bankrupt within 6 months.
Again I keep stressing this, you cannot compare the MTA to other Metros across the world because no other metro runs 24/7 365 days a year.
London transit shuts down at night similar to the Metro North and then starts back up again around a certain time.
If the MTA had that down time I guarantee they would be able to complete a lot of things quickly and effectively.
However that is not the case as NY would have a hissy fit. They work around the best interest of the public.

It's all good when you throw out random ideas on what you think should happen but privatizing a monopoly system would be a disaster.
See comcast for reference

Old 05-06-2016, 07:29 PM

593 posts, read 470,604 times
I believe that we should privatize the subway system. The actual logistics of doing this would require a great deal of study and expertise, but it is certainly possible. Private companies who desire to make a profit have a strong incentive to provide a good product (safe, efficient transportation using modern technology). A government monopoly has zero incentive to provide a good product.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
I believe that we should privatize the subway system. The actual logistics of doing this would require a great deal of study and expertise, but it is certainly possible. Private companies who desire to make a profit have a strong incentive to provide a good product (safe, efficient transportation using modern technology). A government monopoly has zero incentive to provide a good product.

We've covered this already. The NYC subway system was largely built and owned by private companies and it ended badly. Even NYC couldn't run the thing either so it ended up with NYS/MTA.

First and foremost you remove NYCT from the MTA/NYS control and make those employees private they will no longer fall under the Taylor Laws. That means just like Metro North workers they could legally go out on strike and or engage in other labor actions.

Keeping with the workers what private company in their right mind is going to touch the pension and other employee obligations of NYCT workers? You *could* I suppose leave such cost for workers up to a certain date with the state, but it is unclear and very uncertain how others would react.

Again as stated upthread one huge reason why the private companies historically couldn't make a profit (or even enough to invest in keeping the system up and running in good repair) was the reluctance of elected officials to grant the necessary fare hikes.

NYCT has a fare box recovery of only about 51%, the rest of their money comes from the MTA via various funding sources. Remove the MTA then where will that money come from? Do not even think full fare box recovery would cover even day to day operating expenses, so more money must come from somewhere. That means subsidies from either the state and or city.

For profit enterprises exist for that reason; to make money. If any of you think someone is going to buy the NYC subway system because they like playing with choo-choo trains, think on.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Comments | Shutdown or Less Service? M.T.A. Weighs 2 Options for L Train Project - NYTimes.com

Read the link above. I feel sorry for those transplants, business and real estate developers who depend on the L train for their money. I hope those folks can build an organic floating barge or bikeshare floating gondolas across the east river.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:24 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Comments | Shutdown or Less Service? M.T.A. Weighs 2 Options for L Train Project - NYTimes.com

Read the link above. I feel sorry for those transplants, business and real estate developers who depend on the L train for their money. I hope those folks can build an organic floating barge or bikeshare floating gondolas across the east river.

Until Williamsburg took off as the next big thing in terms of a neighborhood the L train was never heavily used as it is now. Damage from super storm Sandy hasn't helped matters but long story short is those tunnels need major work.

In a city with 24/7 subway service the MTA has few options. Doing the work as some would like just on weekends/nights extends project time greatly. Time is something those particular tunnels do not have. People complaining now will be a lot more unhappy if they or someone they love/know is harmed due to an accident down there.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Until Williamsburg took off as the next big thing in terms of a neighborhood the L train was never heavily used as it is now. Damage from super storm Sandy hasn't helped matters but long story short is those tunnels need major work.

In a city with 24/7 subway service the MTA has few options. Doing the work as some would like just on weekends/nights extends project time greatly. Time is something those particular tunnels do not have. People complaining now will be a lot more unhappy if they or someone they love/know is harmed due to an accident down there.
We've been talking about mismanagement by the MTA in this thread. Doing it one tunnel at a time would certainly be mismanagement. For one thing, it would likelier be costlier to do. Secondly, it doesn't even help riders that much anyway; it won't be a one seat rider with the shuttle bus between Bedford and Lorimer. The 15 minute headways severely limits capacity too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City