Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

Ok I have a question for ya'll. I'm Proud to be Puerto Rican, but more importantly I am proud to be from New York. When I tell people that I am Puerto Rican they just go on and rant by saying I went to cabo rojo, san juan etc... They speak to me as if I know these places. I do not know anything about PR. I only know about the culture, history, etc.. What are your thoughts on this? Why do they assume just because you are Puerto Rican that you know the ins and outs of PR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
What's the big deal? They are making conversation. If you don't want to talk to them, cut them off and say "I don't know anything about those places" and walk away.

If you DO want to be a sociable human being, then show interest in their travels and the places they tell you about. Ask them questions. Maybe you will learn something and have some ideas to visit for your next trip to PR.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:14 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What's the big deal? They are making conversation. If you don't want to talk to them, cut them off and say "I don't know anything about those places" and walk away.

If you DO want to be a sociable human being, then show interest in their travels and the places they tell you about. Ask them questions. Maybe you will learn something and have some ideas to visit for your next trip to PR.

This.

I get what you mean NYPapichuloculito but I don't let that bother me. If someone starts stereotyping me or assuming with pre-concieved notions then I just let them know differently, I turn the tables around. Don't take it personally, that's ignorance on their part.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok I have a question for ya'll. I'm Proud to be Puerto Rican, but more importantly I am proud to be from New York. When I tell people that I am Puerto Rican they just go on and rant by saying I went to cabo rojo, san juan etc... They speak to me as if I know these places. I do not know anything about PR. I only know about the culture, history, etc.. What are your thoughts on this? Why do they assume just because you are Puerto Rican that you know the ins and outs of PR?
Maybe they assume you are literally from Puerto Rico?

You can just tell them you're not from there and you don't know those places.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:03 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

I love to converse but thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
This.

I get what you mean NYPapichuloculito but I don't let that bother me. If someone starts stereotyping me or assuming with pre-concieved notions then I just let them know differently, I turn the tables around. Don't take it personally, that's ignorance on their part.
I just asked a question. There's no need for name calling or disrespecting anyone.. Just reported you.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
People ask me where im from and i always respond "im american but my parents are from ecuador"

Nothing makes me LOL more than people saying they are proud to be italian, german, puerto rican, mexican, etc but dont speak the language, dont know anything about the history of the culture (except the flag design) have never been. If you were born here you're American.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Original Poster, the assumption is made because you present yourself as Puerto Rican which generally equates to being
from Puerto Rico. If you present yourself differently that assumption would not be made, such as another poster mentioned.
You are American with ancestors from Puerto Rico who immigrated.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
They're not the ones who are mixed up. If you tell them you are Puerto Rican, then they have every right to presume you're telling them you are Puerto Rican.

But actually, you're an American whose ancestors came from Puerto Rico. Tell them the truth.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 PM

353 posts, read 471,276 times
Dude you tell them "I AM PUERTO RICAN" and they will assume you are actually FROM PR!. That's where the confusion lies. You are born and raised in NY.

I was born and raised right here in NYC, when people ask me where i'm from I tell them New York but my parents are from Puerto Rico.

It's basically your fault for how you present yourself. lol

That's like asking someone where they are from and they say "China" and you ask them, how is it over there? And they say "Hey Idiot I'm from Jersey". Makes no sense.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Relax.

I am one of those guys. I love salsa brava the women and PR food. People want to share their love of your culture with you. Unfortunately a lot of PR's don't like to share their culture with other people.

Mexicans love when outsiders LOVE Mexico. Same with many other latin countries.

I think PR's feel insecure about colonialism or uncomfortable about people labeling them PR's instead of just Americans.

Que Bonita Bandera.....Share your culture Papi. Don't take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: