Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 AM

107 posts, read 198,503 times

Advertisements

Living and renting in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn currently. I won't ever have enough money to buy here but love the neighborhood--the architecture, the layout, the walkability, the laid-back porch-sitting vibe, and easy access to public transit.

I am on the hunt for similar hoods in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, looking for pretty much the same housing stock (old Victorians). Would love to hear about any suggestions. A few pictures are below to give people an idea.

Budget is 600k or under.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighborhoods like Ditmas Park in Mid-Atlantic/Northeast?-2.jpg   Neighborhoods like Ditmas Park in Mid-Atlantic/Northeast?-20150111-living-slide-1tng-videosixteenbynine1050.jpg   Neighborhoods like Ditmas Park in Mid-Atlantic/Northeast?-images.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 07:12 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Try Woodhaven and Richmond Hill in Queens, and Cypress Hills in Brooklyn. Basically the areas south of Highland/Forest Park.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,448 times
My friend is renting a room in one of those homes on 24th st, and I love it! The house was built in 1900, and it's huge, so easy to get lost in it. Those homes cost a lot of money to maintain, and many of them need hundreds of thousands in renovations.

Awesome little neighborhood though!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Try Woodhaven and Richmond Hill in Queens, and Cypress Hills in Brooklyn. Basically the areas south of Highland/Forest Park.
Huh, those areas are in no way similar to Ditmas Park.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
Huh, those areas are in no way similar to Ditmas Park.
These are areas that also have large old victorian homes.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:22 AM

782 posts, read 859,615 times
I agree with G-Dale that those areas have similar architecture to Ditmas Park.

But what you're looking for - which is that architecture combined with easy transit, interesting places to walk to and that certain "east going" vibe- usually comes at a premium. The unique thing about Ditmas Park is that you get a little slice of beautiful homes and quite, quaint streets smack in the middle of Brooklyn.

Parts of Forest Hills in Queens can be similar too, actually. But if you can't afford Ditmas Park...forget Forest Hills, that's a totally different ball game.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:52 AM

175 posts, read 422,300 times
Many of the small cities in Westchester County, and presumably Jersey and metro Philly as well, have inner-ring neighborhoods that were built around the same time as Ditmas Park and are similar in architecture and layout. But the demographics, culture and vibe (and the accessibility of public transit) will be very different from neighborhood to neighborhood and city to city. As a neighborhood of grand single-family Victorians which is still part of the overall density and culture of Brooklyn, Ditmas Park is pretty much unique.

The Highlands in White Plains: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0226303,-73.7669558,3a,66.8y,-265.03h,98.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-_-u5EuvNZrXVZv6cVREHg!2e0)

Mortgage Hill in Peekskill: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2867...r7aw7wtatA!2e0

Peekskill might be close to what you're looking for, actually. It's got tons of old Victorians and a decently preserved 19th-century downtown, and demographically it's not unlike parts of Brooklyn that haven't totally gentrified, in that it's a diverse mix of neighborhood old timers, recent immigrants and young artsy/creative types. It's about an hour to Grand Central on the Metro-North and would be well within your price range. (But the school system is bad, if that's a concern, which is one reason downtown has some artists but no wholesale gentrification.)

Old 05-06-2016, 10:10 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
Living and renting in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn currently. I won't ever have enough money to buy here but love the neighborhood--the architecture, the layout, the walkability, the laid-back porch-sitting vibe, and easy access to public transit.

I am on the hunt for similar hoods in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, looking for pretty much the same housing stock (old Victorians). Would love to hear about any suggestions. A few pictures are below to give people an idea.

Budget is 600k or under.
A lot of neighborhoods in and around Boston are pretty much exactly the same as Ditmas Park in all of the above respects but I don't think the prices are much if any less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savin_...inHillPark.jpg

The Savin Hill subway stop is only about 7 or 8 minutes from downtown.

Much of Cambridge,Brookline and other close in areas have the same feel .

Old 05-06-2016, 03:33 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,539 times
I love Ditmas Park but I think you may need to leave the northeast to find something comparable.
I have been to Charlotte a few times and Dilworth area might work (I think average price there is 500K but that may have gone up).

Old 05-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Thanks, let's keep it coming, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City