Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
This does not just apply to black people. You can say the same for every minority at the work place including women of all race. It is advantageous to be a white male in corporate america. After dating many women, I feel being a women of color to be the most precarious position to be in. It is sad that HR departments are designed to protect the company and not the employee in corporate america.
Yes, women of color have the most precarious positions to be in. They should all lay down and die or take pills and off themselves.

No I don't think that, but I find it condescending and annoyingly so when people point this matter out and don't have any solution for the problem.

Also I think there is a fair amount of leftist propaganda.

I don't think any white person can come off the street and instantly get a job in corporate America. I do think a significant number of whites would have problems getting jobs in corporate America as well, due to lack of education, social connections, or in many cases it's just a matter of temperament. Not everyone wants to work in the corporate sector, or has the temperament.

Lastly while I don't doubt discrimination is a factor in the shortage of Black people in the corporate sector, it is very possible that not many Blacks want to work 80 or so hours required of people who are trying to make middle management or VP positions. A lot of Black people who do have advanced degrees tend to go out for jobs in education, government, non profit, etc. You actually work less and have more vacation time in these sectors, and people may be satisfied with that.

Many of the non white graduate students I know chose to go into sectors like policy, education, social services, medicine, and academia because they had a sense of wanting to somehow serve their communities. Not everything that goes down with Blacks, Hispanics, and other non whites is due to discrimination and people do make their own choices about how they live their lives or what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 AM

54 posts, read 49,010 times
NyWriterdude

The research shows that Whites with no education...even with a jail record...do much better than an American Black with college education... go figure

Generally with a Masters level education to get return on investment it must be coupled with the right work experience, and in some situations if may not be that much of a benefit, such as in information technology, but you are missing the point that even with a Masters when you are Black you still face the obstacle of White discrimination, so degree or not you will not have equal opportunity... you will have the loan but not the opportunity. Someone already posted a chart showing the amount of Blacks at one of the financial companies here in NYC. This says it all. This is why Manhattan looks like how it does.

Black Americans stop discounting the realities of living in America, you shame those who gave you the opportunity with their struggle and blood... and you miss the opportunity to inform Whites who may not be aware of your realities... all Whites are not aware that you are blocked at Human Resources, or denied proper loans, or housing, or schooling... some unconsciously believe the hype that they are superior, (White Supremacy) and that Blacks are in their position, because the are lazy (welfare) ghetto (immoral) and not smart.

Black conditions and treatment in America is due to Slavery, Jim Crow, and the past and current defacto segregation that has existed since the start of America. NyWriterdude you always wearing rose color glasses.

NoGraviti I hear what you are saying but no one is holding on to historical truths when those truths are current, with this inequality you definitely have to strategically navigate through the system, but the truth is the truth.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:23 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omari7 View Post
NyWriterdude

The research shows that Whites with no education...even with a jail record...do much better than an American Black with college education... go figure

Generally with a Masters level education to get return on investment it must be coupled with the right work experience, and in some situations if may not be that much of a benefit, such as in information technology, but you are missing the point that even with a Masters when you are Black you still face the obstacle of White discrimination, so degree or not you will not have equal opportunity... you will have the loan but not the opportunity. Someone already posted a chart showing the amount of Blacks at one of the financial companies here in NYC. This says it all. This is why Manhattan looks like how it does.

Black Americans stop discounting the realities of living in America, you shame those who gave you the opportunity with their struggle and blood... and you miss the opportunity to inform Whites who may not be aware of your realities... all Whites are not aware that you are blocked at Human Resources, or denied proper loans, or housing, or schooling... some unconsciously believe the hype that they are superior, (White Supremacy) and that Blacks are in their position, because the are lazy (welfare) ghetto (immoral) and not smart.

Black conditions and treatment in America is due to Slavery, Jim Crow, and the past and current defacto segregation that has existed since the start of America. NyWriterdude you always wearing rose color glasses.

NoGraviti I hear what you are saying but no one is holding on to historical truths when those truths are current, with this inequality you definitely have to strategically navigate through the system, but the truth is the truth.
You need to speak for yourself. With the masters degree I have had better opportunities than many WHITES.

If you have had insufficient opportunities, then you need to speak for yourself and ONLY yourself. It would actually be disingenuous and dishonest if I 100% always claimed that Blacks were persecuted and penniless when I attended two Ivy League Universities. Clearly that was not my experience, nor am I going to try to pretend it was.

Was there historical discrimination against Black people and does this have consequences that effect people today? No doubt.

What some of you can't stand to understand is that today people have individual chances based on their INDIVIDUAL circumstances. Malia Obama got into Harvard University because of her father President Obama. Yes she is a Black woman, but with a father who is President, she was going to get into whatever university she CHOSE.

This is one person ,and it is an extreme case. Yet the fact that it is one person does say a lot as well. Let's say Mary, the white lady at who works as a cashier at K-Mart, has a daughter named Jill. Does Jill have the same chances as Malia of getting into Harvard? You're being dishonest if you say a poor white person has a greater chance of getting into a top university than a wealthy Black, Asian, or Hispanic.

I'm sorry that some Black people are basically too stupid to change their circumstance or get ahead. But I am not going to do poorly just because some of you can't ever get your act together, beyond screaming at the white man. That is not my fault and I am not taking on the burden of your issues. For the record before people accuse me of racism against other Black people there are low life scum in every race. Save the guilt trip for white liberals, and by the way I am not white. (not that I even recommend guilt for white liberals). But if you want to speak of "reality", the reality is that some people are just PLAIN STUPID.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:02 PM

224 posts, read 134,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You need to speak for yourself. With the masters degree I have had better opportunities than many WHITES.

If you have had insufficient opportunities, then you need to speak for yourself and ONLY yourself. It would actually be disingenuous and dishonest if I 100% always claimed that Blacks were persecuted and penniless when I attended two Ivy League Universities. Clearly that was not my experience, nor am I going to try to pretend it was.

Was there historical discrimination against Black people and does this have consequences that effect people today? No doubt.

What some of you can't stand to understand is that today people have individual chances based on their INDIVIDUAL circumstances. Malia Obama got into Harvard University because of her father President Obama. Yes she is a Black woman, but with a father who is President, she was going to get into whatever university she CHOSE.

This is one person ,and it is an extreme case. Yet the fact that it is one person does say a lot as well. Let's say Mary, the white lady at who works as a cashier at K-Mart, has a daughter named Jill. Does Jill have the same chances as Malia of getting into Harvard? You're being dishonest if you say a poor white person has a greater chance of getting into a top university than a wealthy Black, Asian, or Hispanic.

I'm sorry that some Black people are basically too stupid to change their circumstance or get ahead. But I am not going to do poorly just because some of you can't ever get your act together, beyond screaming at the white man. That is not my fault and I am not taking on the burden of your issues. For the record before people accuse me of racism against other Black people there are low life scum in every race. Save the guilt trip for white liberals, and by the way I am not white. (not that I even recommend guilt for white liberals). But if you want to speak of "reality", the reality is that some people are just PLAIN STUPID.

I think Malia would have issue with you saying that she got into Harvard because of her father. That's no different than whites saying that blacks get into ivy-league schools because of affirmative action. It's disrespectful to the person who put in the hard work to get into the institution of their choosing. But let's not deny that structural racism in academia exists... that whites are more likely to get into a top school over blacks because of a variety of factors including privilege, access to better schools, and because they share the same racial background as the selection committee. That's why Jill will have a better chance of being accepted at the schools of her choice versus Jameer who comes from the same socioeconomic space.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
I think Malia would have issue with you saying that she got into Harvard because of her father. That's no different than whites saying that blacks get into ivy-league schools because of affirmative action. It's disrespectful to the person who put in the hard work to get into the institution of their choosing. But let's not deny that structural racism in academia exists... that whites are more likely to get into a top school over blacks because of a variety of factors including privilege, access to better schools, and because they share the same racial background as the selection committee. That's why Jill will have a better chance of being accepted at the schools of her choice versus Jameer who comes from the same socioeconomic space.
Well then there's the flip side...George Bush Jr...LOL.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:13 PM

224 posts, read 134,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Well then there's the flip side...George Bush Jr...LOL.
Hahaha. Exactly. Not everything that's Ivy is Gold. ☺

Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
The point made by omari7 was that an educated Black would still face more hassle than a poor White, as I quote: "The research shows that Whites with no education...even with a jail record...do much better than an American Black with college education... go figure".

I would tend to agree with NyWriterdude here, there's no fatality or destiny... There's a structural racism that has weakened in my opinion, and the more people will use it as an excuse, the more the society will digress on those matters.

Malia, or whoever who has a powerful parent, benefits more than any other person with another ethnicity, whether it's White or Asian or whatever.

There's absolutely no shame to admit that because some of our parents were not as poor as others, or, just very wealthy, to put it bluntly, as a child, we've had more time to focus on education and connect with other people in the same social class. Ethnicity might play a role, but not that much. Unless the person you're dealing with has a specific issue or trauma with that topic, most educated people, from wealthy circles, would note how sophisticated you are and be able to dialogue with you. If that step is done, the rest is really up to you to network properly.

I cannot speak for Black people themselves as I am not Black. But I am not White neither, and my background and history is far more complex than any of you would be able to imagine. Let's just say that I am very familiar with living with Black people. Nevertheless, I have noticed that being financially successful basically preserves you from most, if not all kind of "discrimination" you think one might be subject to. This aspect, is even more exacerbated in NYC simply. So from this standpoint, I fail to see how wealthy Black would struggle in this city.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

If you think Harvard didn't know who Miss. Obama was and actively recruited to have her I have a bridge for sale......

Were the Obamas any other upper middle to wealthy African-American family even with both having IL college and post graduate educations then yes, things might have been different. But that is not the case.

Miss. Obama is the eldest daughter of not only a head of state, but of the most powerful nation in the world. That alone would be enough, however when you add BO's record on progressive/liberal causes (something largely influenced by MO by some accounts), heck yes, Harvard or any other college/university would love to have her.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
There was 0% chance Harvard would reject Malia Obama.

Harvard is a PC organization that would have criticized itself for being racist and sexist for rejecting her, even if her record was not at the level of most Harvard students. She's also a leftist.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Why doesn't Malia go to some well respected but not privilege school like Harvard then? It only proves one thing and that she has privileges that ordinary people have to work extra hard to get the same result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City