Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 AM

39 posts, read 50,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are you saying that black professionals in NYC live with/share expenses with a partner at a lower rate than other races? Where is a link to the stats on that?
Keep in mind, I am not referring to low income or working class blacks, I'm referring to black professionals. In my circle, I have many single black professional friends who are making six figures, but because they don't have the dual income, they are priced out of the more desirable "trendy" hoods in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the Black professional scene is more scattered in the NYC area from Brooklyn to parts of Queens to even select suburban cities/villages. We're talking about a metro area with about 3.5 million Black people or so and if you know where to look in the area, you can find concentrations of Black professionals. This thread may give you an idea of what I'm referring to: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...mmunities.html (Later pages in the thread has specific areas with information)
OK, just to be clear, I am not referring to older upper middle class blacks, I'm referring to young black professionals. There are a number of older black professionals who have chosen to live in LI or Queens because of their family situation. I just wish that young upper income black professionals would link up and pool their resources together to have more of a presence in Manhattan, not just in Harlem.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
The OP has much more to do with the epidemic of broken black families than anything to do with NYC rents.
I'm not following, what does "the epidemic of broken black families" have to do with upper income young black professionals?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Where do you live now?

I would remain working from home and save more $$$$. Retire early.
I live in Phoenix and can't say that I have plans to remain in Arizona for much longer. I LOVE NYC! I'm not interested in living in the South, Midwest, West Coast or New England.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
OK, just to be clear, I am not referring to older upper middle class blacks, I'm referring to young black professionals. There are a number of older black professionals who have chosen to live in LI or Queens because of their family situation. I just wish that young upper income black professionals would link up and pool their resources together to have more of a presence in Manhattan, not just in Harlem.
There are a lot of singles in Manhattan. Not just blacks. Think it's close to 50% of residents, in addition black females have the lowest % of married for women.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
There are a lot of singles in Manhattan. Not just blacks. Think it's close to 50% of residents, in addition black females have the lowest % of married for women.
There may be a lot of singles in NYC, but young professional whites are more likely to live as a couple. This enables them to reside in trendy areas of Brooklyn and Manhattan. If they weren't combining their incomes, few would be able to afford the high rents on a solo six figure income.

Young black professionals need to follow this model and not be fixated on doing everything independently. It seems like common sense, but it's something that young black professionals are not doing in large number.

Maybe because everyone is so spread out, it doesn't really allow the opportunity to meet each other. Once I relocate, I'd like to host mixers for young black professionals ***who earn at least six figures*** in Manhattan.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Keep in mind, I am not referring to low income or working class blacks, I'm referring to black professionals. In my circle, I have many single black professional friends who are making six figures, but because they don't have the dual income, they are priced out of the more desirable "trendy" hoods in Manhattan.
yes, I did keep that in mind, which is why I phrased my question to ask you for stats about "black professionals" --- which is what your OP is about. You simply avoided answering my question by trying to imply I somehow misunderstood your post. I did not misunderstand it; I was asking how you know what you stated is true.

Sounds like you're just making stuff up since you obviously don't have any stats to rely on. All you have to rely on is how you imagine people might be living in NYC.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
yes, I did keep that in mind, which is why I phrased my question to ask you for stats about "black professionals" --- which is what your OP is about. You simply avoided answering my question by trying to imply I somehow misunderstood your post. I did not misunderstand it; I was asking how you know what you stated is true.

Sounds like you're just making stuff up since you obviously don't have any stats to rely on. All you have to rely on is how you imagine people might be living in NYC.
Thanks for your input. Based on what I've observed qualitatively, I do see the need for young upper income blacks to establish greater networks with each other to improve our overall standing.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
There may be a lot of singles in NYC, but young professional whites are more likely to live as a couple. This enables them to reside in trendy areas of Brooklyn and Manhattan. If they weren't combining their incomes, few would be able to afford the high rents on a solo six figure income.

Young black professionals need to follow this model and not be fixated on doing everything independently. It seems like common sense, but it's something that young black professionals are not doing in large number.

Maybe because everyone is so spread out, it doesn't really afford us the opportunity to meet each other. One of the things that I want to do, after I relocate is host mixers for young black professionals in Manhattan.
I don't think they're single because they want to do things independently, there are other factors for that. Being raised in a broken family has an effect on the kids being single I think as well. I also see a lot of interracial couples with blacks as well, maybe they don't want to be with one another. You can't force a relationship just based on skin color.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I don't think they're single because they want to do things independently, there are other factors for that. Being raised in a broken family has an effect on the kids being single I think as well.
I think those issues are more prevalent amongst lower income and working class blacks, not so much for upper income black professionals. I was raised with both parents and attended private schools, the same is true for nearly 85% of my black friends who are in the same income bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City