Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:04 AM

39 posts, read 50,497 times

Advertisements

Ok, please hear me out. I've been reading the comments on this website for a while before deciding to create an account. Based on the average rents in the desirable parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn, the rents are high. A one bedroom in a doorman building is anywhere between $3500 - $4100, and of course the building usually requires that you make at least 40 times the rent. This means that to qualify, you need a household yearly income of at least 140K - ~165K. This is certainly NOT a lot of money, for a professional couple, who more than likely each make a 6 figure income. This has been my biggest issue with deciding whether to relocate to NYC. I work from home and earn a six figure income, but since I'm single, I do not have the same renting power as a professional couple.

I know this is a bit off topic, but as a single professional black woman, I find it disturbing that there's a scarcity of young black women and men working together to ensure a good standard of living in NYC. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
Ok, please hear me out. I've been reading the comments on this website for a while before deciding to create an account. Based on the average rents in the desirable parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn, the rents are high. A one bedroom in a doorman building is anywhere between $3500 - $4100, and of course the building usually requires that you make at least 40 times the rent. This means that to qualify, you need a household yearly income of at least 140K - ~165K. This is certainly NOT a lot of money, for a professional couple, who more than likely each make a 6 figure income. This has been my biggest issue with deciding whether to relocate to NYC. I work from home and earn a six figure income, but since I'm single, I do not have the same renting power as a professional couple.

I know this is a bit off topic, but as a single professional black woman, I find it disturbing that there's a scarcity of young black women and men working together to ensure a good standard of living in NYC. Just my 2 cents.
Respond back after 9 months and your statement will be currently different. But yes in the professional market in NYC is mainly white and as recently has become very wasp driven. If I was a black professional, I would look at DC or Atlanta.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Respond back after 9 months and your statement will be currently different. But yes in the professional market in NYC is mainly white and as recently has become very wasp driven. If I was a black professional, I would look at DC or Atlanta.
I don't believe you understood my post. I was making a general statement that NYC rents aren't really that high when you consider two six figure incomes merging together.

Living in DC or Atlanta is the answer. What needs to take place is, more black professionals should seek each other out in NYC and qualify for these apartments in desirable areas.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:23 AM

429 posts, read 390,779 times
this is a no-brainer. ok. well when you combine 2 six figure jobs, I don't think ANY rents are too high. with a combined six figure income, it's cheaper to buy a really nice house in Long Island, Nassau. or even Westchester. If they both have good credit of course. To make that kind of income and pay through the roof for some crappy apartment in NYC - you got more bang for your buck elsewhere. Westchester and Nassau county are close enough to Manhattan.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
I don't believe you understood my post. I was making a general statement that NYC rents aren't really that high when you consider two six figure incomes merging together.

Living in DC or Atlanta is the answer. What needs to take place is, more black professionals should seek each other out in NYC and qualify for these apartments in desirable areas.
No. I understood your post. Its not expensive if dinks, (dual income no kids) are making 6 separately. I agree with you. But it also depends on life style. 6 figures will stretch in Riverdale, or Staten Island or in Jamaica Estates compared to living in Chelsea, or Tribeca. I know plenty of folks who make 6 figures, but won't do Manhattan.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

I think the Black professional scene is more scattered in the NYC area from Brooklyn to parts of Queens to even select suburban cities/villages. We're talking about a metro area with about 3.5 million Black people or so and if you know where to look in the area, you can find concentrations of Black professionals. This thread may give you an idea of what I'm referring to: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...mmunities.html (Later pages in the thread has specific areas with information)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-09-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:

Are you saying that black professionals in NYC live with/share expenses with a partner at a lower rate than other races? Where is a link to the stats on that?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:49 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
The OP has much more to do with the epidemic of broken black families than anything to do with NYC rents.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:

Where do you live now?

I would remain working from home and save more $$$$. Retire early.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No. I understood your post. Its not expensive if dinks, (dual income no kids) are making 6 separately. I agree with you. But it also depends on life style. 6 figures will stretch in Riverdale, or Staten Island or in Jamaica Estates compared to living in Chelsea, or Tribeca. I know plenty of folks who make 6 figures, but won't do Manhattan.
Most dual income young professionals prefer Chelsea or Tribeca any day over Riverdale, Staten Island, etc, etc

Last edited by MaryJayne NYC; 05-09-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City