U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:02 PM

39 posts, read 109,775 times

Advertisements

Single Asian male, age 25, engineer. Lived in Austin 10 years now. Can I survive NYC?

Where do most ppl with my description live? what parts i mean?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,393,657 times
Whoa.... okay. This is VERY broad. Please, tell us: What do you mean by "handle" NYC? Do you mean can you afford the city? The Outer Boroughs? The area in general? How much money do you make? What type of nabe do you want to live in? Do you want to drive or train it everywhere? Please, give us examples...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,071,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3nchi View Post
Single Asian male, age 25, engineer. Lived in Austin 10 years now. Can I survive NYC?

You can handle it fine.

Hang out at Raw Hide on Sixth Avenue in the City. You'll be able to handle it just fine.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,393,657 times
^^^^ Lmao!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM

172 posts, read 455,577 times
Don't let the sun set on you here, cowpoke. We don't take kindly to outside agitators in these parts. Nobody like you here nohow, anyway!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 AM

112 posts, read 316,591 times
No, you can't,...

Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 AM

12,119 posts, read 31,991,532 times
Fort Lee, NJ, Edgewater, NJ

Old 02-15-2008, 07:35 AM

274 posts, read 1,073,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3nchi View Post

That's a really broad question. I know a couple of engineers and they live in Westchester and Long Island.

Personally, I think Austin is 100 times better than Westchester or LI for a single male engineer.

Austin: $600-700/mo. for a VERY nice 1 bedroom near the heart of the action - bars, nightlife, super friendly hot women. You'll have a LOT of disposable income on an engineer's salary and live like a king.

NYC: $2800/mo. for an AVERAGE 1 bedroom in Manhattan. And Sex & The City type of chicks who aren't into engineers. I imagine you'd have very little disposable income.

The alternative is to live in sleepy outer regions (i.e., no single chicks) or the outer boroughs/NJ, but I doubt many engineers aspire to live in the outer boroughs.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM

2,954 posts, read 11,835,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
The alternative is to live in sleepy outer regions (i.e., no single chicks) or the outer boroughs/NJ, but I doubt many engineers aspire to live in the outer boroughs.
I work at one of the top law firms in the city, where profits per partner are well into the seven figures, and I could not tell you how many of those partners live in the outer boroughs by choice. Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Riverdale, Forest Hills, Bayside, Jamaica Estates, Bay Ridge, Staten Island... I don't know who you think the 6.5 million people who live in the outer boroughs are, but half of Wall Street lives in Brooklyn. Shockingly, a lot of engineers are ORIGINALLY FROM the outer boroughs and don't think it's the wasteland you think it is.

And unlike other metropolitan areas, you have to go pretty far before there are "no single chicks." I know people who live in eastern Queens, way out on LI, in the middle of NJ, and in White Plains and they all go out in those areas and meet "single chicks" all the time. There are about as many people in Nassau County as in Philadelphia, 5th most populous city in the U.S.

On the one hand you talk so dismissively about everywhere other than Manhattan clubland, on the other you're posting about how tired you are of New York and the "Sex and the City" attitude. Maybe you wouldn't have these issues if you realized there's a lot more to the area.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM

274 posts, read 1,073,110 times
[quote=holden125;2835282]I work at one of the top law firms in the city, where profits per partner are well into the seven figures, and I could not tell you how many of those partners live in the outer boroughs by choice. Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Riverdale, Forest Hills, Bayside, Jamaica Estates, Bay Ridge, Staten Island... I don't know who you think the 6.5 million people who live in the outer boroughs are, but half of Wall Street lives in Brooklyn. Shockingly, a lot of engineers are ORIGINALLY FROM the outer boroughs and don't think it's the wasteland you think it is.

You're talking about (1) lawyers with kids/spouses, (2) Wall Streeters who are here because they want that lifestyle, and (3) engineers who grew up here.

Those people don't mind living in the Wasteland because they are DIFFERENT from a single, 25 year old from Austin, TX.
I doubt there are any 25 year olds who have Fort Greene in mind when they are contemplating moving to NYC.

And unlike other metropolitan areas, you have to go pretty far before there are "no single chicks." I know people who live in eastern Queens, way out on LI, in the middle of NJ, and in White Plains and they all go out in those areas and meet "single chicks" all the time. There are about as many people in Nassau County as in Philadelphia, 5th most populous city in the U.S.

A 25 year old contemplating moving to NYC is NOT thinking of eastern Queens.

I think most young men would prefer hot, friendly, educated Austin chicks over LI/Queens receptionists with a New Yawk accent.

On the one hand you talk so dismissively about everywhere other than Manhattan clubland, on the other you're posting about how tired you are of New York and the "Sex and the City" attitude. Maybe you wouldn't have these issues if you realized there's a lot more to the area.

Sure, Manhattan has its flaws. But you are crazy if you think Queens, Long Island, Staten Island, etc. are better places than Austin, TX for a young single man seeking a good quality of life.

You need to get out and visit other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City