Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times

Advertisements

I lived with a friend for my first 6 months in NYC in an apartment that had those huge roaches or water bugs (not sure which they were -- I was new to NYC and had never seen either before). She had a cat that would go after those bugs -- even the ones that were as large as 3 inches -- and flip them over on their backs.

Apparently these bugs, despite their great capacity to survive even a nuclear holocaust, could not figure out how to flip back over and run away. So the bugs died, or my friend would kills them and throw them in the trash. I pretty much was too freaked out to do anything.

So anyway maybe the cat would go after mice AND bugs, if you're lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:41 AM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
My sister-in-law who lives in California bought two chickens so that the family can have free eggs. Well, one day, she saw one of the chickens eat a water bug and now she doesn't want to eat the eggs the chickens produce

I would still eat the eggs, I mean, it's not like the roach wasn't processed somehow lololol

Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Also, not all cats are "mousers." So if you get a cat for that purpose, you may be disappointed.
Very very true. My mom has 5 cats (don't worry, in a house not an apartment lol) and maaaaybe 2 of the 5 would probably attack a mouse. The other 3 would freeze in fright.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI2016 View Post
Maintenance just came over. He admitted they live in the radiator than he refused to caulk anything. He said that wont solve itmand just lay out traps because there's nothing I can do. He said oh you caught one but there's more they travel in pairs.

He did absolutely nothing.
I dont understand why they wouldn't fill the holes. What an idiot... of course if you fill the holes it will solve the problem. Duh you block their entry and then they can't come into your apartment. They have to find another apartment to invade. Seriously what an idiot. I hope he's not paid well.
Do it yourself or hire a company like the other poster suggested. Trust me you fill in all the holes around your apartment the issue will be solved. But yes you must find every entry hole.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times
Avoid Orkin. They are terrible, despite their famous name.

You can certainly call around to a bunch of exterminators and get information on their prices and methods. You can try asking if what the NYCHA is considered acceptable and sufficient. Maybe ask the Health department?

While you're doing this, buy some glue boards. Personally, I avoid poison, because I don't want mice dying inside the walls. You seem to have a good idea where they're coming from, so buy the large size, and put them all around where you think the mice are coming from. Especially against the wall or at the opening of any hole.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:03 AM

44 posts, read 30,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI2016 View Post
OMG...one of the traps just went off. Holy ****... I was scared to go in and actually see the mouse etc. But what really held me back is the squeaking ....it went on for WAY too long. It was not dead . I tiptoed into the living room and mother of God the mouse was moving the trap ... It was only partially caught on its back and it was fighting to flee the trap. I was afraid of it fleeing so i tossed a glue trap near it and pushed the mouse on it with the broom handle so it couldnt flee...than i picked it up and tossed it in the incinerator.

I hate using glue traps and looking at it suffer . God...that thing cried so loudly . Its so cruel. I used a victor wooden trap. They usually kill the mouse in one snap but not this time Im glad it's gone though but i know there is more in here.
If you hate suffering and think it's so cruel, then why the hell did you throw the poor animal into a fire?

Make sure it's dead first before you decide to burn it. Gosh....

Old 05-13-2016, 02:57 AM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySlu View Post
If you hate suffering and think it's so cruel, then why the hell did you throw the poor animal into a fire?

Make sure it's dead first before you decide to burn it. Gosh....

Incinerators have been banned in NYC apartment buildings for decades, and that includes NYCHA. However the chutes remain in many older buildings that once had such devices. However today the things empty into a bin where the garbage is then collected and taken for collection.

OTOH if I were the super of that building wouldn't welcome finding mice (dead or alive) in that incinerator bin. One in a trap meant it was thrown down the chute by a resident.

That being said people throw all sorts of things down incinerator chutes so probably maintenance won't bat an eye.

On another note if the mouse was not dead when it was chucked down, it may still live long enough to work itself free.

Sadly people do throw mice and rats caught in traps all and where ever. Have seen mice in both glue and snap traps on sidewalks in our area that obviously were thrown from apartment windows. Once walking in the Flatiron District came upon a dead rat in a snap trap someone had chucked onto the sidewalk.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 AM

44 posts, read 30,035 times
I doubt it would free itself, and if it did, it'd probably chew a leg off to escape.

People need to take some friggin' responsibility, if you're going to kill an animal, do it properly. Finish the job.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 AM

30 posts, read 51,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There are exterminators who will do rodent proofing of apartments. We used Big Apple Pest Control years ago and they were great, but assume there are others. Big Apple Pest Control | NYC Exterminators

Basically what they do is a top to bottom examination of your place and seal any holes or other possible entry points for rodents. This can be coupled with laying of traps, baits and so forth to get rid of any vermin living in your place.

There is nothing rodent proofing by a professional does that you cannot do yourself, but they know how and where to look. For mice you *REALLY* have to find every single nook and cranny. We had to empty out closets, cupboards and move furniture. Those guys got down on their hands and knees with flashlights looking for spots of entry.

Finally I highly recommend getting a mouse zapper trap. As stated previously we had a problem several years ago. While holes were sealed there still were a few stragglers lurking about. Bait takes too long (and the sound of the bastards chomping down at night gave me the creeps), and they were avoiding snap traps (which had caught a good number). Within 24 hours after setting up the zapper that was that. Haven't seen another since.
Victor® Electronic Mouse Trap PRO | Electronic Mouse Zapper
Thank you sooooooooooooo much. Im looking into both. Im definetly going to call big apple pest control . I need to be rodent free. Im so disappointed with that lazy ass repair man . He doesn't live here so he doesn't care.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 6,250 times
Definitely get a cat. My dad used to manage a large indoor/outdoor flea market. It was only open on weekends. There was a bad rodent problem that wasn't solved with the usual poison and traps. He got 2 big adult cats and let them free roam the building during the week and then he would keep them in the office on the weekends when it was open for business. The rodent problem completely disappeared. Apparently, just the smell of a cat can deter rodents from entering a building.

I used to live on a horse farm so I know how unpleasant it can be to have mice in the house!

You might consider getting a full grown cat. When my much loved cat, Sophie, passed away last June, we adopted 10 year old Maya, a big Maine Coon cat, from a shelter. She's a real predator! She loves to sit in the window and watch for mice and birds and she gets so excited when she sees one. You will be able to tell how their personality is when they're already an adult cat and if they're friendly, loving and energetic. Plus they'll be able to assist you with your rodent problem right away.

I hope things get better for you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City