Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
It was left open so long probably because a utility company needed it open.. And didn't meet the deadline. Its worst when the open it days after it gets filled, and do a sloppy job repaving. I have seeing nicely paved streets with sloppy bumps.
my favorite is filling sidewalk trenches with asphalt instead of pouring proper cement squares
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,075,994 times
Quote:
It was left open so long probably because a utility company needed it open.. And didn't meet the deadline. Its worst when the open it days after it gets filled, and do a sloppy job repaving. I have seeing nicely paved streets with sloppy bumps.
I've seen them wait weeks to pave milled streets elsewhere this year on major roads like Union Turnpike, Main Street, and the Horace Harding Expressway. I didn't notice any utility work going on during that time. I think they don't view paving as a priority. They also wait weeks to put down lane markings after paving. On a major undivided road like Hillside Avenue with multiple lanes and turn lanes it's hazardous not to have lane markings.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:51 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
I know we have a higher population but its amazing how much better condition the roads are in neighboring states.
I was in Chicago this weekend. I immediately noticed how much better both their sidewalks and pavement were. Chicago...!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I've seen them wait weeks to pave milled streets elsewhere this year on major roads like Union Turnpike, Main Street, and the Horace Harding Expressway. I didn't notice any utility work going on during that time. I think they don't view paving as a priority. They also wait weeks to put down lane markings after paving. On a major undivided road like Hillside Avenue with multiple lanes and turn lanes it's hazardous not to have lane markings.
It's probably not coordinated amongst the different crews. I'm not so sure they're intentionally waiting. One crew rips up the asphalt, another crew places it, and another stripes the lanes. And I'm sure there's no penalty for a lag in between the phases.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:23 AM

It's that time again when the city is milling a lot of streets. A young child was killed a few days ago when a garbage truck slammed into a car that was trying to avoid hitting a raised manhole on a major road that had been milled but not yet repaved. The city DOT really needs to get its act together and not leave streets unpaved for weeks with raised manhole covers that could damage your car. Now a child has died because of the hazardous condition. They should mill a road then pave it the next day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3120984

Old 05-01-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
They should mill a road then pave it the next day.
Goes without saying - if they don't have enough crew to pave, then take them off the milling!!

And they should never leave open to the traffic a milled street with dangerously raised objects.

But don't worry, NYC has an infinite pool of money (yours) for deblasio to hand out huge settlements without even having to go to court.

Thanks again The Bozo!

Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
most roads are patched up in the spring. this year, they have been covering alot of ground. It is always done to patch up damage from the snow/winter.

complete repaving is not done in every location, and I would imagine , more frequently in neighborhoods that are more involved in local government. make some noise, things get done is usually the case.

Jamaica avenue has started repaving, although areas in a better commercial areas dont seem to have many problems. go on jamaica ave by the 190s streets, I ask myself what they hell is wrong with this stretch? Isolated roads also get the shaft as they are seldom used.

most roads are redone every 15-20 years, from my recollection .

Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
It's probably not coordinated amongst the different crews. I'm not so sure they're intentionally waiting. One crew rips up the asphalt, another crew places it, and another stripes the lanes. And I'm sure there's no penalty for a lag in between the phases.

Actually when DOT opens up the street, they also let utility companies know that its open for work.. So you have may have Verzion, who can't get to the site for about 2 weeks... Then you have Con Ed who might take another 2 week... After the time period closes, DOT will continue to pave... And 2 weeks later here comes DEP and opens up a freshly paved street and makes it looks like crap again... This is really how things work.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
And 2 weeks later here comes DEP and opens up a freshly paved street and makes it looks like crap again... This is really how things work.
Can't tell you how many this happens, it's awful. Fresh blacktop and the ConED / verizon crew comes it and slashes it up and patches it over. The patch is bad and cracks chips looks like hell and the next crew comes in 2 days later to repeat

Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM

I am bumping my old thread because my street is scheduled for milling next week. They put up signs saying no parking on Monday but the NYC milling and paving webpage says it is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. I called 311 and they didn’t know why there was a discrepancy but said to follow the posted signs (duh). Anyone here ever check the milling/paving webpage when your street was scheduled for repair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: