Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM

47 posts, read 45,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
The issue is that you can't tell from looking at someone if they are Black American or an immigrant from the Caribbean or elsewhere. Just like the OP started this thread commenting a black person with a white baby...you cannot tell the ancestral history unless to actually talk to the person and ask questions. That's why I mentioned "black is black" to the outsider.
Not always, but sometimes, but maybe that's just me.

But to the rest of your post, once you do talk to the person or ask questions, then the stereotypes start to fly. For some strange reason, I've been asked where I'm from or where my family is from on many occasions by white people, like I can't be from here. But I do get your point.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:53 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxephyr View Post
Not always, but sometimes, but maybe that's just me.

But to the rest of your post, once you do talk to the person or ask questions, then the stereotypes start to fly. For some strange reason, I've been asked where I'm from or where my family is from on many occasions by white people, like I can't be from here. But I do get your point.
"Where you're family is from" does not imply you're a foreigner. It's also common for people to ask "what nationality are you?", but they're really trying to ask your ethnicity.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:46 PM

36 posts, read 38,323 times
Funny this thread is here. Yesterday I was walking on 79th and Third and there was a nanny soliciting work right on the corner. Walking up to anyone with a stroller and offering her services. Had business cards and a resume for everyone. Never saw anything like that in my life.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Most of them are Caribbean or Filipino. Both groups earn money for themselves and their families back home by looking over people that need looking over. So naturally you'll find them as nurses as well. They come here for economic means, and that is the skill they bring with them.

Let's not let nywriterdude turn this thread into a racist driven discussion like he does to almost every other thread. He is obviously very insecure in his own skin to hear opinions.
I'm very secure in my own skin. You started the race based discussion by jumping up and down and declaring every Black neighborhood in the city as horrible neighborhoods that haven't changed.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:25 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm very secure in my own skin. You started the race based discussion by jumping up and down and declaring every Black neighborhood in the city as horrible neighborhoods that haven't changed.
No I didn't. You said that, not me. I'm aware of decent black neighborhoods in NYC, they're just not the ones listed in the NYU study.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No I didn't. You said that, not me. I'm aware of decent black neighborhoods in NYC, they're just not the ones listed in the NYU study.
I've never heard you name or mention any of them on this forum ever.

So what Black neighborhoods according to you are decent?

Old 05-15-2016, 01:53 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've never heard you name or mention any of them on this forum ever.

So what Black neighborhoods according to you are decent?
I have. Its irrelevant to this thread, although many of the black nannies do live in them. Even though they are decent, their schools still suck.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:25 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
it's mainly because white people pay nannys well and off the books. so you can have a legit on the books job, and do the nanny thing part time, and still collect food stamps. its a win-win situaton

Old 05-15-2016, 02:27 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Especially in downtown Brooklyn near Barclays Center area I see many many of them.. i also saw a muslim women with white babies
Nothing agianst that but i see this too much to an extenct it disturbing.
Me myself would prefer my babysitter being same ethnicity as baby...liberals promoting diversity i guess.
So your segregationism extends even to your workers?

Old 05-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
it's mainly because white people pay nannys well and off the books. so you can have a legit on the books job, and do the nanny thing part time, and still collect food stamps. its a win-win situaton
How do you know these women are on welfare, and that they have a legit job on the books?

Many of these women may not have legal status, in which case they have neither welfare nor on the books jobs. And even if they do have legal status, taking care of children is an all day thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: