Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
What are 1br rentals in JH going for?
One bedrooms in Jackson Heights are being advertised at around $1700 to $1900, but you might be able to get something cheaper if you go towards the border of Jackson heights/Corona. Going to the border of Jackson Heights/Elmhurst doesn't lower the rent much as far as I can tell, because most of that area is right near the E/F/R/M/7 train and therefore the prices are high because of that convenience.

Studios are being advertised for around $1450 to $1600 with most that I've seen advertised being around $1500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:11 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Cheaper yet might be Corona.

I think Astoria is plug-ugly. It reminds me of Jersey City Heights.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:31 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
what is the OP babbling about? The other areas listed above is a very short subway ride to those areas.

Last edited by sirtiger; 05-13-2016 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 05:40 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.a.zzy View Post

Also I hear from many that supposedly FH is more ethnically diverse than JH but most of the food options, at least on Austin, seem to be continental-style, and probably most of the observed "diversity" in FH can be lumped together as Bukharian Jews. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, though I did spend an afternoon in the neighborhood on the first full day of Passover this year and 2/3 of the stores on QB down by the 67th R/M stop were closed.
Of course in a Jewish neighborhood you are going to find many of the stores closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays. Is that a surprise?

As for FH being more ethnically diverse than JH - is that really the case? How so?

Old 05-15-2016, 05:30 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.a.zzy View Post

Also I hear from many that supposedly FH is more ethnically diverse than JH but most of the food options, at least on Austin, seem to be continental-style, and probably most of the observed "diversity" in FH can be lumped together as Bukharian Jews. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, though I did spend an afternoon in the neighborhood on the first full day of Passover this year and 2/3 of the stores on QB down by the 67th R/M stop were closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Of course in a Jewish neighborhood you are going to find many of the stores closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays. Is that a surprise?

As for FH being more ethnically diverse than JH - is that really the case? How so?
Actually there is a small section of a few blocks on 108th Street where there is a cluster of Jewish owned stores closed on Saturday & Jewish holidays.

West of the 67th Avenue subway station on Queens Blvd. is already considered Rego Park (rather than Forest Hills) and there are a few stores there as well as on 99th Street (the first 2 blocks near QB) that have some Jewish owned stores that also close on Saturdays & Jewish holidays.

But there are plenty of other stores including supermarkets and restaurants that are open daily (including Saturdays and Jewish holidays) as there are plenty of non-Jews and non-observant Jews that live in both Forest Hills and Rego Park.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Forest Hills has had European Jews and Central Asian Jews for some time now. Towards Metropolitan you'll still find old stock Irish, German and Italian NYers. Now there is an exteremely fast growing Asian population, both East Asian and South Asian. There are some Hispanics as well. You even have a lot of houses in the Gardens rented by diplomat families from all sorts of countries.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Forest Hills has had European Jews and Central Asian Jews for some time now. Towards Metropolitan you'll still find old stock Irish, German and Italian NYers. Now there is an exteremely fast growing Asian population, both East Asian and South Asian. There are some Hispanics as well. You even have a lot of houses in the Gardens rented by diplomat families from all sorts of countries.
FH is not for the young and outgoing types. Its a neighborhood for ideal for seniors and families. Almost no night life to speak aside from a few places on Austin and horrendous parking if you drive.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:12 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
FH is not for the young and outgoing types. Its a neighborhood for ideal for seniors and families. Almost no night life to speak aside from a few places on Austin and horrendous parking if you drive.
Yep, its more of a family neighborhood. But probably has more bars than Jackson Heights, and pretty much every other Queens neighborhood aside from Astoria, LIC, and the remnants of the Irish pubs in Sunnyside.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:08 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Oh that's cool

Old 05-16-2016, 05:30 AM

127 posts, read 635,643 times
I lived in Astoria/Ditmars from '07-'08, then Forest Hills from '08-'12, then back in Astoria/Ditmars from '13-'14 before I had to leave NYC for work reasons. I would've gone back to Astoria sooner, but I bought a co-op in FH in 2008 right before the crash and wanted to stick around to see if the prices would recover. They never did and I ended up selling for a loss to move back.

FH is a nice enough neighborhood -- apartments are more "human sized" than Astoria and it's definitely prettier than Astoria if you overlook the Boulevard of Death. But I found it incredibly boring (and this is coming from someone who would probably be described by friends as incredibly boring ) The 71st Ave/Austin Street area is overrated and overrun with banks, pharmacies, and boutiques that I personally would never shop at (although others may feel differently). With some exceptions, the restaurants were generally mediocre and overpriced. One favorite feature, the Barnes and Noble, is long gone.

As has been mentioned, the scene in FH is definitely more family and elderly-oriented than Astoria. Granted, the Ditmars area is fairly subdued, but it's easy to get from Ditmars down to 30th Ave. or Broadway where there's a hotbed of activity in the evenings/weekends. In FH... not so much.

FH's transit options are outstanding with lots of buses, multiple subway lines and LIRR. I used to say the best thing about Forest Hills was the number of ways out! When I lived there, I spent a decent amount of time on Long Island and took the express bus to my job downtown, so the location was good for me. Don't be fooled though -- Astoria is significantly closer to the city than FH and even Jackson Heights. It's a long haul on the local trains and when there are delays (which are common). Jackson Heights and the Broadway area of Astoria are easily accessible by train, but it was a long enough trip that I didn't go that often. You may be more motivated.

Access to suburban-style shopping is good in the FH area, with easy access to Rego Center and the Queens Center Mall. That was something I missed in Astoria from time to time. I know you don't have a car, but for what it's worth, I think FH is a little more car friendly than the other areas -- street parking is horrendous in all of these places, but in FH there are at least options for paid parking, sometimes even in your own building.

Overall, you could certainly do worse than FH. Lots of folks would prefer it over the other areas you're thinking of which are comparatively ugly and noisy. Based on what you're looking for, I think you'd probably be happier in a livelier area if you could find a way to make that happen (living with roommates, etc.) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City