Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:23 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times

Advertisements

Walk by any project or other subsidized housing and you'll find single moms/grandmas with gaggles of kids. What is it about being poor that makes people have so many children, or does having so many children make people poor?

If I was broke, or grew up in the hood, the last thing I'd be doing is having kids. I even see it here on CD. People come on here asking for help getting subsidized housing. Their background is almost always the same; bad credit, no job, six kids.

What is up with all the kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 12:36 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,735 times
Uh it's simple more kids = more money from welfare etc. Also protected/safe sex probably isn't priority #1 in da hood.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:40 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Walk by any project or other subsidized housing and you'll find single moms/grandmas with gaggles of kids. What is it about being poor that makes people have so many children, or does having so many children make people poor?

If I was broke, or grew up in the hood, the last thing I'd be doing is having kids. I even see it here on CD. People come on here asking for help getting subsidized housing. Their background is almost always the same; bad credit, no job, six kids.

One gets benefits thrown at them with a battalion of children. Simple as that.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 PM

47 posts, read 45,049 times
I'm going to regret feeding into this...

Some people do it for unconditional love, some do it prove their worth/gain respect.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:48 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
One gets benefits thrown at them with a battalion of children. Simple as that.
Its all political. They grow up to be Democrats. They are a big part of the Democrat constituency.

If they had to get out and work, they would more than likely do some sort of minimum wage menial/service type job. It's easier and it's more profitable to stay home at the expense of the taxpayers who actually have to go to work.

The govt needs to give these welfare recipients some real motivation to get out of that lifestyle. As long as they are able bodied, they should have to do something to give back to the community. Some volunteer work even if it's stuffing envelopes, something so it's just not all take-take-take.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 05-14-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 01:05 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Having intimate relations is the only form of entertainment that is affordable to them.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:36 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Its all political. They grow up to be Democrats. They are a big part of the Democrat constituency.
I dont get why so many people think that people in the projects sit around and discuss politics, because they dont. As much time as I've spent around different NYCHA, I have never heard anybody utter the terms "Democrat" or "Republican."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2016, 04:46 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,471,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I dont get why so many people think that people in the projects sit around and discuss politics, because they dont. As much time as I've spent around different NYCHA, I have never heard anybody utter the terms "Democrat" or "Republican."
No one anywhere sits around claiming loudly what party they belong to.

But if you think there are republicans "possibly" living in NYC public housing living off welfare, then you are just in denial of reality. I challenge you to go find even one person living in public housing here in the city that is going to vote Trump.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 PM

186 posts, read 220,306 times
Why no one ask why do Jewish people seem to have a kid every year. (Source, section 8 recertification, I seen the files)

They abuse the system more than most people to the extent is quite outrageous, yet no one even mentions their contribution.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:10 PM

223 posts, read 255,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

I believe it's due to those that have subsidized housing with TANF and food stamps - each child birthed their benefits increases. A lot of these women received child care assistance as well therefore most of their expenses are paid - so it's not an issue to have more and more children because it's beneficial.

Think about it. Single mother - unemployed, three children receiving $700 a month in cash assistance, $600 a month in food assistance and their rent is about $350? Not including those receiving child support income.

I am a minority and I think Trump is an ******* but I HOPE his first move is limit the benefits - too much people are taking advantage and are non deserving. It should be a maximum length of 26 weeks just like unemployment - it's supposed to be temporary.

What more baffling is driving through these projects in Brooklyn and I see BMW's, Benz and Lexus's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City