Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 04:48 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times

Advertisements

While I agree with putting more bike lanes in the boroughs, I do not think they are appropriate for a major artery like Queens Boulevard:

Mayor overrules CB4 and orders bike lane extended on Queens Boulevard
By Bill Parry
Times Ledger
May 12, 2016
(website) http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2...6_05_13_q.html

This will only divert more vehicles to Northern Blvd., Astoria Blvd., or Grand Central Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 05:00 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
This has already been happening. The bike lanes are already on the service roads of Queens Blvd in Woodside. Honestly I think it looks good.

But I believe the street should have a speed limit of 30-35, at least for the express road, and not the pathetic 25 it is now. That is why the LIE is such a mess now, because nobody wants to use Queens Blvd anymore.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
I have mixed feelings on this. While encouraging the use of bikes over cars is good, the local community board was pretty much set against it. It's difficult for me to justify going against the locals who will have to live with this.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. While encouraging the use of bikes over cars is good, the local community board was pretty much set against it. It's difficult for me to justify going against the locals who will have to live with this.
The bike lanes are going to be replacing parking spots, not a lane that vehicles use, so honestly I doubt it will make the street much safer.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
This has already been happening. The bike lanes are already on the service roads of Queens Blvd in Woodside. Honestly I think it looks good.

But I believe the street should have a speed limit of 30-35, at least for the express road, and not the pathetic 25 it is now. That is why the LIE is such a mess now, because nobody wants to use Queens Blvd anymore.
If there's any street in the city that should have a lowered speed limit, it should be the ones that are most dangerous, like Queens Boulevard.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The bike lanes are going to be replacing parking spots, not a lane that vehicles use, so honestly I doubt it will make the street much safer.
Those who would normally drive to their destination on Queens Boulevard would be somewhat discouraged from doing so if they know parking will be tougher.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:10 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
If there's any street in the city that should have a lowered speed limit, it should be the ones that are most dangerous, like Queens Boulevard.
QB was not built to service purely residential areas. It's also a commercial area which is used to transport food, fuel, and even raw materials used to produce other goods for sale. Lowering the speed limit as well as rules that intentionally choke traffic increases transportation cost. It also increases the cost for people who drive to get to work or their personal business done.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Those who would normally drive to their destination on Queens Boulevard would be somewhat discouraged from doing so if they know parking will be tougher.
Then businesses on the street would suffer. Most people who drive do so because it is the most convenient way to get around. I almost never use Queens Blvd now and never shop there because of this. The street is at least a few miles from me and I'm not going to walk there.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
QB was not built to service purely residential areas. It's also a commercial area which is used to transport food, fuel, and even raw materials used to produce other goods for sale. Lowering the speed limit as well as rules that intentionally choke traffic increases transportation cost. It also increases the cost for people who drive to get to work or their personal business done.
True, but is it worth risking lives? Sure there are other alternatives, but those can be costly too (like pedestrian overpasses). The 25 mph speed limit may or may not be the right answer, but we couldn't stick with the status quo.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
True, but is it worth risking lives? Sure there are other alternatives, but those can be costly too (like pedestrian overpasses). The 25 mph speed limit may or may not be the right answer, but we couldn't stick with the status quo.
The city is spending 100 million on all this zero vision crap on Queens Blvd. I doubt pedestrian overpasses would cost nearly as much, and would make everyone ( both drivers and peds ) happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City