Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Clearly the Native New Yorkers who were property owners, real estate brokers, bankers, etc who benefitted from this.

I don't think the New York Times is wrong to admit that minorities can be disproportionately affected by gentrification. What the article isn't addressing is why the income of these minorities is lower and what can be DONE about the problem. Perhaps as gentrification steps in, more non whites will step up their game (they will have to unless they want to be displaced to some bad neighborhood in Newark or Mt. Vernon). It also does depend on how people individually perform at work at school. I agree that these things tend to pant "minorities" with too broad a brush.
Native New Yorkers period are benefiting from this and the ones who aren't haven't done anything about their problem. The only people who should be complaining are veterans and the elderly. Everyone else should get their asses up and do something about their living situation. It is not that hard to get an education and improve yourself. Really, it isn't. You just need motivation and discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 09:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Gentrification is not exclusively white, there are many foreigners with deep pockets moving here. The key is the city is bring more people who can make a living here while pushing out people who no longer can afford to. I don't think young people really benefit from it because majority of them are just scraping by and not making any huge financial gains unless they are in certain industries.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Gentrification is not exclusively white, there are many foreigners with deep pockets moving here. The key is the city is bring more people who can make a living here while pushing out people who no longer can afford to. I don't think young people really benefit from it because majority of them are just scraping by and not making any huge financial gains unless they are in certain industries.
Those young people may just have to live at home with their parents a little longer.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
I recently tried to hire a young man from Bensonhurst Brooklyn - urban ethnic Italian background - a super star in the making for our field. Was informed by my boss- transplant from the American mid-west- that his accent was way too strong and he was too much of a New Yorker. I was sat-down and told to not interview anymore local urban ethnics. New Yorkers like that (we are in New York!) need not apply for corporate jobs in New York

There is real prejudice against locals here, unlike southern protestants which are protected by "racial" laws the local ethnics are unprotected.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:48 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
I don't really care who is benefitting and who is getting screwed at this point. It really doesn't matter. The city is and has been for some time now nothing really all that unique. I think back to my teenage years in reverence of being able to frequent CBGB's, Coney Island High, and the such There was just something in the air that is long gone, and it's hard to explain to people who didn't have that. And yes, I know things changed from the 50's to 60's, 60's to 70's, etc. But it's never been as sterile and uniformed and bland as it is in it's current state. Even my old man who was born in 1940 and spent his life here (until getting the f out eventually) agrees. And if you're going to tell me to take a walk through north brooklyn and report back to you. Yeah, I've spent plenty of time doing so. Sure there are some cool restaurants and cafes and whatnot. But all in all, it is my contention that this city is waaaay overpriced for what it is now. 3K for an apartment in some s-hole part of crown heights or bed stuy? My hats off to those getting paid that rent, but I shake my head and laugh at those paying it.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:26 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
I recently tried to hire a young man from Bensonhurst Brooklyn - urban ethnic Italian background - a super star in the making for our field. Was informed by my boss- transplant from the American mid-west- that his accent was way too strong and he was too much of a New Yorker. I was sat-down and told to not interview anymore local urban ethnics. New Yorkers like that (we are in New York!) need not apply for corporate jobs in New York

There is real prejudice against locals here, unlike southern protestants which are protected by "racial" laws the local ethnics are unprotected.
What field/industry is that?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Native New Yorkers period are benefiting from this and the ones who aren't haven't done anything about their problem. The only people who should be complaining are veterans and the elderly. Everyone else should get their asses up and do something about their living situation. It is not that hard to get an education and improve yourself. Really, it isn't. You just need motivation and discipline.
That I somewhat disagree with and its not all about money. Gay bars for example are a niche business. As commercial rents go up gay bars have nearly been wiped out compared to what they used to be. The major straight dance night clubs have all gone under as well as only corporate backed businesses can afford these rents. You have a destruction of small businesses in NYC, and no these businesses were never black owned. That doesn't mean I can't have empathy for store owners and employees who may very well have their lives destroyed.

To claim that no Native New Yorkers or transplants have been damaged by gentrification is false. Not everyone who lost everything was bad or black either. Many elderly face homeless, and their health is too poor to easily relocate. Some of you had better pray that you never go through hard times.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Small business owners and their employees are being slaughtered,

Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Black and Hispanic disdain for education is not something that can be changed over night. Gentrification moves at a faster pace than people's ability to change.
The President and his wife are Highly educated Blacks. So is NYC's public advocate. So is the Speaker of the Assembly. So are Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell. Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor is highly educated. So is Ted Cruz. So is Marco Rubio. The Castro brothers of Texas both attending Stanford Law school.

This is where you paint yourself as misinformed and uneducated.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM

Gentrification is not a bad. Big parts of the city had underutilized real estate. Williamsburg and LIC were run down neighborhoods full of empty factories and warehouses. They needed to be redeveloped. The newly built up areas provided taxes to the city that pay for services we all use and that is good.Hudson Uards is the development of underutilized space and that is good. Columbia and NYU have had major expansions. This is all good.

I would never advocate keeping the city a dump so poor people never have to be confronted with change. However urban renewal was certainly done in a way that screwed small business over and this had disparate impacts on certain demographics. At this point it's all over, so I am not sure why the Tomes even bothers to write about it any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City