Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 16,274 times

Advertisements

Well howdy there fellow city-data friends, So it's been a little over one month since I've moved within a couple of blocks of the George Washington Bridge.
In my first thirty days scouring the neighborhood for superior edible food at cheap prices (still a difficult task in most cities) this does not include fast food, fried food, Chinese food, or pizza. All of which I can't eat because of my special low fiber diet.
Here are my results:
Pick and Eat -- (4179 Broadway @ 177th St) reasonable prices but thats where it ends. My plain burrito - $7.00 + ($3.00 extra for guacamole, sour cream, and Mojito De Gallo) was dense and compressed like a Panini, it was filling but that's all. I also ordered Verdoso Turkey Pasta - Penne pasta, creamy verde sauce, lean ground turkey, broccoli, green shallots, and baby spinach --$9.55 + tax. As I don't eat a lot at one meal, it was enough food for about two - three bowls, again filling but that's all. I won't be back to eat here again because then I went across the street to:
Mambi Steak House -- (4181 Broadway @ 177th St) superior
value for your dollars here! I tried two different lunch specials,
Beef Stew-included 3 nice size pieces of beef over white rice,
2 pieces fried sweet plantains, plus a coffee cup of beans for
$6.00 plus tax !!
Cod Stew- a good amount of fish, white rice, 2 pieces fried
sweet plantains, plus a coffee cup of beans for $9.80 tax included.
Each of these specials were large enough to make 2 meals for me!!
Seafood Junior's -- (4235 Broadway between 179 + 180th St)
Dominican counter-style seafood restaurant, inexpensive and
unassuming hidden gem with delicious food !! Clearly the fact that
there is almost always a line contradicts their 3 star eating on Yelp !
My new go-to spot for a quick, hearty, and tasty lunch and open 24 hours !!
I am so pleased I discovered this awesomely small local eatery I can't
rave enough about !! I'm sure I'll be hard-pressed to find a better option
for lunch, but still my search continues. Then just a few steps more
around the corner on 180th St
Anna's Pastry Shop -- (701 W 180th St)
Get your Dominican and Central American pastries here: fresh, delicious,
real tasty, and really affordable!*And a café con leche for a buck that will make your day. *The locals know about it, they're in and out of here all the time. The counter only seats about a half-dozen people, or just take out your coffee, pastry, sandwich, roll, bread, your tres leeches, flan, éclair or guava paste & cheese pie ... and you'll be happy this place is part of our world - authentic baking at affordable prices with superior taste. And if you're not familiar with the regional baking tradition covered by this bakery, all the better: *pick a bunch of items, bag 'em, and enjoy them on the street, in your car, or at home.
If you don't like something, at worst you've wasted a dollar, or two.
At best, you'll become a regular like me !!
Floridita Broadway Bakery -- (4187 Broadway between 177 + 178th St)
Just another outstanding local Dominican bakery. It's covenient and their prices are reasonable. Often times there is a line however it does move rather quickly. Their Dominican beverage called Morir Soñando keeps me coming back every time and I especially love their bread pudding, known here as pudín de pan. They also sell an outstanding Emparedado Cubano
AKA - a Cuban sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 09:21 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
The area around the big hospital has some decent food. There is a Dallas BBQ, Korean BBQ, and Italian, and i cant remember the others.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:48 PM

51 posts, read 94,082 times
A couple of more gems:

Elsa Reina de Chicharron -- very crispy juicy pork chicharron
Burger Heights -- if you're craving something like Shake Shack in the Heights

Old 05-19-2016, 12:54 PM

9 posts, read 16,274 times
Default Washington Heights ~ An Inside Scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The area around the big hospital has some decent food. There is a Dallas BBQ, Korean BBQ, and Italian, and i cant remember the others.
NJ Brazen_3133 -- The food in the cafe on the second floor of the NY Prespeterian Hospital, I believe it is called the Milstein Cafeteria is fairly decent, and inexpensive but can vary at different times of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City