Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:22 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times

Advertisements

Best bet is Baruch college from affordability and low transfer requirements. Unless you get into Ivy league it doesn't make sense spending a lot of money on a bachelor degree. Finance industry in NYC has been shrinking since the financial crisis. You should study what part of the financial industry you would be interested in being as degree and certificate needed to qualify for the job can vary depending on your interest.

CUNY Bernard M Baruch College Transfer and Admissions Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I hear Baruch is a gauntlet these days. It is pretty brutal in the sense that competition is very high and grading is tough. I hear this directly from professors who teach there. Just giving a heads up so people are ready before going there. I've heard same about Hunter but to lesser degree.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:06 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I never noticed the GPA after I made my post but he/she did ask for suggestions for schools outside of NYC too.

But yes, there are plenty of options.
Also, mentioned a Finance degree. Not too many NYC schools to go for Finance outside of the NYUs and Columbias. If you want to work in finance with a bank, you want to go to a reputable school to be taken seriously. If you want to work in finance for a mom and pop store or a retail company, you can go to a lesser school. The banks target specific schools for specific positions.

Last edited by nyccs; 05-21-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I hear Baruch is a gauntlet these days. It is pretty brutal in the sense that competition is very high and grading is tough. I hear this directly from professors who teach there. Just giving a heads up so people are ready before going there. I've heard same about Hunter but to lesser degree.

I don't think OP will struggle with the material, but rather the competition from the students body for very few job openings. Many kids from NYC G&T Public schools go to Baruch college as a cheap and convenient way to get a Bachelor degree and save their money for more costly advance degrees from more prestigious schools. If OP wants to secure a good finance job, they will most likely have to self teach themselves finance and have a higher GPA from Baruch.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:20 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I don't think OP will struggle with the material, but rather the competition from the students body for very few job openings. Many kids from NYC G&T Public schools go to Baruch college as a cheap and convenient way to get a Bachelor degree and save their money for more costly advance degrees from more prestigious schools. If OP wants to secure a good finance job, they will most likely have to self teach themselves finance and have a higher GPA from Baruch.
Most the classes in the Jr and Sr years are curved and the students are on their A game, so it will be difficult to get a high GPA. But, the GPA is not the end all be all. The extracurriculars and internship/work experience you attain during college really matters. Someone with a near perfect 4.0 GPA with zero work/internship experience is not as impressive as someone with a 3.5 with relevant work/internship experience.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:20 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think the exception at Baruch would be the MFE program. According to a friend of mine, you're pretty much guaranteed a great salary if you do well. Of course the material is pretty challenging, and just getting in can be tough.
Tough? Virtually impossible. 99% of graduate students won't make the cut.

It's a top 3 MFE program in the nation.

http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/baruch-mf...g-competition/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City