Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:12 PM

337 posts, read 423,627 times

Advertisements

I dropped my wife off at work today and she had the phone on her lap. When she jumped
Outta the car it fell onto the street. She has one of those phone cases where she can put her credit cards in (now she realizes how dumb that is. Lose your phone you lost it all) anyway I called the phone about 10 times. Nice Asian lady picked up and told me where I can drop by later to pick up the phone. I like to think of my self
Of old school (if that makes any sense) and offer her ATleast $100 bucks (best I can do now) obviously she may decline but I don't want to be rude and offend. What do you guys and gals think? I think def offer something just because she was super nice
But I don't wanna be a ******* and hand her a $10 dollar bill lol. Also don't want to give her too much so i can't get my self a decent meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 01:18 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times
I got the person who found my phone a $25 gift card to Starbucks. But I honestly think the cash is more appreciated.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:21 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Have found various things over the years (wallets, phones, shopping bags full of things, etc....) managed to reach owners and returned the stuff, never took a reward or whatever. But that is just me...

Old 05-24-2016, 01:24 PM

Yeah I believe in paying it forward and honesty, when returning property that isn't yours. After all if you find it its still stealing? I think that offering money is a nice way of telling the person thank you for being a good honest human and saving me the stress of going to the dmv, cancelling all my credit cards and paying a boat load for a new phone. I think it's very commendable when the person doesn't take the money but I only
Offer what I can give cause some will take it. Don't mind if she does, just wanted to get a feel on opinions. She was very sweet though and it's Nice to know not everyone will jack yo sheet.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:29 PM

377 posts, read 509,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
I dropped my wife off at work today and she had the phone on her lap. When she jumped
Outta the car it fell onto the street. She has one of those phone cases where she can put her credit cards in (now she realizes how dumb that is. Lose your phone you lost it all) anyway I called the phone about 10 times. Nice Asian lady picked up and told me where I can drop by later to pick up the phone. I like to think of my self
Of old school (if that makes any sense) and offer her ATleast $100 bucks (best I can do now) obviously she may decline but I don't want to be rude and offend. What do you guys and gals think? I think def offer something just because she was super nice
But I don't wanna be a ******* and hand her a $10 dollar bill lol. Also don't want to give her too much so i can't get my self a decent meal.
This is a very nice gesture on your part.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:30 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
Yeah I believe in paying it forward and honesty, when returning property that isn't yours. After all if you find it its still stealing? I think that offering money is a nice way of telling the person thank you for being a good honest human and saving me the stress of going to the dmv, cancelling all my credit cards and paying a boat load for a new phone. I think it's very commendable when the person doesn't take the money but I only
Offer what I can give cause some will take it. Don't mind if she does, just wanted to get a feel on opinions. She was very sweet though and it's Nice to know not everyone will jack yo sheet.

Was brought up you don't take things that do not belong to you, and if you "find" something it should go back to whomever owns. Of course if you cannot find out who that is, that is another matter. But when you find say a shopping bag with a receipt that gives a name or something.... come on. What would Jesus do?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:31 PM

223 posts, read 255,741 times
Consider yourself lucky - when picking up the phone state to her how thankful you are and prior to offering her a "reward" ask "Please, let me offer ..." she will either decline or accept at that moment. If she declines, be thankful you've met a decent human being in NYC if she accepts, I think $50 is sufficient. But to be safe, I would still cancel the credit cards.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:32 PM

223 posts, read 255,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Was brought up you don't take things that do not belong to you, and if you "find" something it should go back to whomever owns. Of course if you cannot find out who that is, that is another matter. But when you find say a shopping bag with a receipt that gives a name or something.... come on. What would Jesus do?
Well "Jesus" from Washington Heights never returned the lost item.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
I wouldn't accept. And $50 is a very generous offer.
Lets us know how the pick up goes.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Stopping by in about an hour and will let you know how it goes. Thanks to all for your kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City