Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:12 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Woke up this morning at 5 AM, And the heat was going. I know we are still in the period until 5/31 where heat has to be given, But I do not ever recall the heater going this late in the season. This whole Spring has been kind of a downer so far, with a warmup expected this week.

Lets hope for a nice Summer.

Last edited by D. Scott; 05-22-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 12:56 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
We got heat on Monday but not since.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:34 PM

377 posts, read 509,483 times
Yes, we are still getting heat. Why is that?

Old 05-22-2016, 03:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I wish! My building, like many, provides the minimal amount of heat, so those periods of spring and autumn when it's somewhat warmer is an excuse for them to stop providing building heat, and it can be very cold inside.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:40 PM

196 posts, read 779,586 times
NYC heat law is until May 31st. HPD - Renters - Important Safety Issues - Heat and Hot Water

Old 05-22-2016, 05:07 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Yes, and it is ticking me off. My apartment is like an oven.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:16 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incaita View Post
Yes, we are still getting heat. Why is that?

NYC heating law:

Between October 1st and May 31st, a period designated as "Heat Season," property owners are also required to provide tenants with heat under the following conditions:
  • Between the hours of 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM, if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit; and,
  • Between the hours of 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM, if the temperature outside falls below 40 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
HPD - Renters - Important Safety Issues - Heat and Hot Water

Most multi-family housing in NYC have boilers/heating systems that run on a complex system of timers and sensors. Those twinke shaped metal boxes you see on the front or back of apartment buildings are sensors to detect outdoor temps. This in turn controls the firing of the boiler/heating system.

If the sensor detects temps are below a certain set number it turns the boilers/heating system on. If they detect outdoor temperatures are above.... heat will not come on.

Usually the mornings are still rather chilly in NYC so heat comes on. Whether or not it remains on depends upon how warm the day becomes or cold at night.

After next weekend (May 31st) when the season officially ends buildings will turn their systems from "winter" to "summer". That among other things means usually no matter how cold it becomes outside the boilers won't come on to make heat. Instead water is maintained inside the boiler for a set range just to provide hot water. If the building has a separate means of producing hot water then boilers are shut down for the summer until next fall.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I still had some heat last week and it was necessary with these below average temperatures.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:40 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
I live in an apartment in a slightly older private home, with steam heat (radiators). Over the weekend, I was standing near the one in the bathroom and felt some heat coming off of it. My living room was quite warm on Saturday as well. I haven't put the ACs into the windows yet - mostly because I need help doing so and the friend helping me isn't available yet, but I also don't want to be tempted to use them until it's actually needed (trying to keep my electric bill reasonable). I have had the windows in my bedroom open for weeks now, but don't like opening the living room windows - they face a very busy street and it's noisy.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I live in an apartment in a slightly older private home, with steam heat (radiators). Over the weekend, I was standing near the one in the bathroom and felt some heat coming off of it. My living room was quite warm on Saturday as well. I haven't put the ACs into the windows yet - mostly because I need help doing so and the friend helping me isn't available yet, but I also don't want to be tempted to use them until it's actually needed (trying to keep my electric bill reasonable). I have had the windows in my bedroom open for weeks now, but don't like opening the living room windows - they face a very busy street and it's noisy.
Since you just moved in recently its nice to know for next year when it gets cold that they actually provide heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: