Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there has ever been a study done on homeless people in the city and how they came to be homeless? I am not talking about the drug addicts, but everyone else.

I saw an 80 year old women yesterday, clearly homeless, trying to keep warm with newspapers. She seemed insane. Was she insane b/f she became homeless and that's why? Or did being homeless make her insane. She has to be someone's mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, cousin, etc.... Is her whole family homeless too do you think?

Also, what organization would you call to help her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
There are many organisations that might help, but the problem is bigger than the number of organisations prepared to provide housing and/or supportive services.

Here is the parent group for the homeless where you can get quite a bit of information:

Coalition — Coalition for the Homeless

And, yes, many studies have been done about the homeless, some of which you'll also find at this site, or the national organisation.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
The vast majority of homeless people are junkies and/or insane.

This is America. Those who are homeless because of economic circumstances can get back on their feet through the support of churches, volunteer social programs, government programs, welfare, subsidized housing, and family members.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Thanks, that is a great website.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 AM

307 posts, read 2,507,555 times
I was reading a good book about the homeless people living beneath New York. They call them 'The mole people' it's creepy. so I guess a lot of people did some kind of research.

Amazon.com: The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City: Books: Jennifer Toth

Mole People - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM

26 posts, read 64,581 times
A lot of the people who are homeless in NYC and anywhere else are homeless because they either have mental health issues that prevent them from getting out of that situation or they just get so used to it that they stop caring about getting off the street.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks for that book recommendation. I haven't read it but it has come up a few times with good marks.

I did work with the homeless population, indirectly, for many years, and we sure did lots of research. Some of it is at the site I shared, but frankly, the research and the support for programs are at great variance--plenty of research, very few dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
I was reading a good book about the homeless people living beneath New York. They call them 'The mole people' it's creepy. so I guess a lot of people did some kind of research.

Amazon.com: The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City: Books: Jennifer Toth

Mole People - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM

43 posts, read 155,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Does anyone know if there has ever been a study done on homeless people in the city and how they came to be homeless? I am not talking about the drug addicts, but everyone else.

I saw an 80 year old women yesterday, clearly homeless, trying to keep warm with newspapers. She seemed insane. Was she insane b/f she became homeless and that's why? Or did being homeless make her insane. She has to be someone's mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, cousin, etc.... Is her whole family homeless too do you think?

Also, what organization would you call to help her?
Fifty years ago, when the city was safer, the people living on our streets would have been confined in a residential asylum with guys in white coats to look after them. Then at some point some bright person decided that was cruel. And he said, "let them live on the street. That's much better."

Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM

I believe the release of the mentally ill, some of whom became homeless, was in the early 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
Fifty years ago, when the city was safer, the people living on our streets would have been confined in a residential asylum with guys in white coats to look after them. Then at some point some bright person decided that was cruel. And he said, "let them live on the street. That's much better."

Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
The vast majority of homeless people are junkies and/or insane.

This is America. Those who are homeless because of economic circumstances can get back on their feet through the support of churches, volunteer social programs, government programs, welfare, subsidized housing, and family members.
Well, calling people "junkies and/or insane" makes it easy to dismiss them and diminish their humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City