Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 02:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Probably not very many, and even then we're talking pre-war (WWI and perhaps WWII). Most anything built by the 1950's and certainly in or after the 1960's has automatic elevators, at least for passengers. Service elevators maybe "automatic" but require a key to unlock/operate. I'd say less than fifty in Manhattan or even the whole of the City.

Today's Elevator Operators May Do More Than Just Push Buttons - The New York Sun

Apparently in 1945 elevator operators still had enough juice that their going on strike caused the City huge economic pain: Remembering When Driverless Elevators Drew Skepticism : NPR

That action may account for buildings deciding to get shot of them and go with automation.

Back to the OP's original query: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...in_a_building/
Quite a big chunk of the cities buildings are from before 1950, though. My uncle lives in a building built in the 20s IIRC however it was renovated and I'm pretty sure the elevator is automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 03:17 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
First, it's a big expense to switch (even though presumably cheaper in the long run).

Second, it's often considered a security benefit.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:02 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Quite a big chunk of the cities buildings are from before 1950, though. My uncle lives in a building built in the 20s IIRC however it was renovated and I'm pretty sure the elevator is automatic.

IIRC automatic elevators have been around since the 1920's if not before. NYC changed the laws in 1920 to allow automatic elevators in residential buildings. IIRC a large number of co-ops and other apartment buildings went up in the 1920's and 1930's, but some were built before. Am guessing those that were already up and had manually operated elevators either remained that way or changed. New buildings of course had the option of going either way.

All this being said then and now it only takes a turn of a key to turn automatic elevators into manually operated. IIRC this is what happens with the FDNY when there is some sort of event in a building.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
White people problems.
lol!!!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
White people problems.
How's this for a twist.... I'm not white! Dun dun dunnnnn...

Anyway, the buiding in question is in 106/Bway area. Like I said, this is not my primary residence but I stay here 1-2 weeks a month and it was just something I was curious about. Horribly inefficient, invasion of privacy, upset and pissy employees (I don't blame them, can you imagine what kind of weird, sick purgatory being an elevator operator would be?). It's just annoying and they act as though you are making their life difficult and it awkward.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:31 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
How's this for a twist.... I'm not white! Dun dun dunnnnn...

Anyway, the buiding in question is in 106/Bway area. Like I said, this is not my primary residence but I stay here 1-2 weeks a month and it was just something I was curious about. Horribly inefficient, invasion of privacy, upset and pissy employees (I don't blame them, can you imagine what kind of weird, sick purgatory being an elevator operator would be?). It's just annoying and they act as though you are making their life difficult and it awkward.

Answer to your query is contained in OP. The staff is stretched thin and obviously aren't afraid to let their discomfort be known.

Very few buildings commercial or residential employ persons solely to operate elevators I should think. Of the two the former makes more sense given potentially large crowds.

Since you aren't a full time resident/tenant there probably isn't much you can do about the poor attitude besides mention it to whomever owns/rents the apartment you are using. A lot of persons just say nothing but then again come the holidays give little or no tips.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I had a combo in the West Village. Elevator had one of those manual steel gates in addition to the electric ones. To call for the elevator there was a button that rang in the Super's apartment. He or his wife jumped into the elevator and rode down to get me.
That operated until 10PM and after that it was a climb up the stairs...6 flights for me. Not fun when crawling home from the bars at 4 AM.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I had a combo in the West Village. Elevator had one of those manual steel gates in addition to the electric ones. To call for the elevator there was a button that rang in the Super's apartment. He or his wife jumped into the elevator and rode down to get me.
That operated until 10PM and after that it was a climb up the stairs...6 flights for me. Not fun when crawling home from the bars at 4 AM.
Was there a buzzer for the elevator on every floor, or just the first floor?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Was there a buzzer for the elevator on every floor, or just the first floor?
Every floor, SF. They looked just like the buttons for a front door. I checked 40 years later: same system.

The system was so slow that often we walked DOWN to get to the street faster. But walking UP was a pain because the place had 12 foot ceilings.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
I frequently have to stay in a building with them and find them frustrating and more invasive than doormen. Just curious why some buildings still have elevator operators instead of just getting a regular elevator? The elevator looks to be mostly like a modern elevator except for a lever they have to pull. For this building in particular they have the same guy acting as doorman AND elevator operator and he's stretched too thin to be good at either job. They're often in pissy, frustrated moods having to go up and down, up and down, deal with impatient tenants, etc. Just seems like a bad deal all around, both for tenants and doormen.

Why do some buildings insist on keeping this setup? Cheap? Nostalgic? It's annoying.
they're creepy. and i don't like doormen either. they must be so bored all day, i bet they gossip about everything and know half of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City