Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:22 PM

69 posts, read 97,257 times

Advertisements

Maybe this question would have been better in the food section ,but I thought i'd post here because of the topic . I was born in Queens and lived there for almost 12 years , until moving to Florida in 1982 .I eat a lot of pizza and know the pizza parlors and restaurants do their best to duplicate it , however I know NY style here is not authentic no matter how good it is . Is there anyone who owns a pizza parlor or has lived in Florida or other parts of the south that can explain what makes the biggest difference . I Know the water is filtered out many ingredients include Durham flour , San Marzano tomatoes and grande cheese .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:46 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
I think everyone claims it's the water, but I don't know. I agree. I grew up right across the river in Jersey though (hudson count) and remember pizza being really awful. But I thought we got the same water as NYC!? Thinking about it now though, i've never actually tried pizza outside of NYC/Jersey. (admittedly, I'm not much of a traveller and when I am I often have zero money to buy food).

Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
I tried the NY style pizza in Las Vegas at Grimaldi's and I thought it was gross. I won't be going back there ever. I never thought pizza could be gross before.

However, the NY style pizza at Guido's in downtown Boise is one of my favorites.

Still haven't tried it in NYC. What's the best place to do that at there?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 PM

RAY'S OF COURSE!!!!!

ha

SO it NYC style pizza just thin pizza in a circle versus the deep dish from Chicago and places like that? I always considered that kind of pizza Sicilian which I actually LOVE! (but doesn't compare to the triangle slices).

Old 06-08-2016, 08:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I think everyone claims it's the water, but I don't know. I agree. I grew up right across the river in Jersey though (hudson count) and remember pizza being really awful. But I thought we got the same water as NYC!? Thinking about it now though, i've never actually tried pizza outside of NYC/Jersey. (admittedly, I'm not much of a traveller and when I am I often have zero money to buy food).
Depending on where you were in Hudson, your water came from the Hackensack River, Wanaque, or Parsippany. NYC water comes from the Catskills.

IMO, NYC and NNJ pizza are pretty similar in style. Most of the places in NNJ have less variety in pies/toppings available for getting a slice, but I'd attribute that to lower volume of business than some of the busier places in the Lower East Side or other parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

When you go to different parts of the country you'll notice more significant differences. In some places, Papa Johns is regarded as "good pizza."

Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 PM

quote:
Most of the places in NNJ have less variety in pies/toppings available for getting a slice, but I'd attribute that to lower volume of business than some of the busier places in the Lower East Side or other parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

ah, that makes sense. NNJ was always more about the hoagies at most of the pizza joints anyway. HOAGIES, not SUBS!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I tried the NY style pizza in Las Vegas at Grimaldi's and I thought it was gross. I won't be going back there ever. I never thought pizza could be gross before.

However, the NY style pizza at Guido's in downtown Boise is one of my favorites.

Still haven't tried it in NYC. What's the best place to do that at there?
There are many many places to go that are good in NYC or the other borough's . Check out Scott's pizza tours on yelp , located along 244 5th ave , NY , NY 10001 . Also , I remember my Godmother telling me Brooklyn is the best borough for pizza , Italian food . I met her the first time about 5 years ago when visiting and sh'es lived in the Queens area for probably 60 years . Grimaldi's , Di- Fara pizza , and Peppino's are all worth checking out if ever in Brooklyn .

Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
RAY'S OF COURSE!!!!!

ha

SO it NYC style pizza just thin pizza in a circle versus the deep dish from Chicago and places like that? I always considered that kind of pizza Sicilian which I actually LOVE! (but doesn't compare to the triangle slices).
From what Iv'e heard Ray's can be hit or miss . I would love to try an authentic Chicago deep dish , but you could be waiting more then an hour in a Chicago restaurant on a busy night . I never took advantage of the opportunity to try this when stationed in bootcamp at Great Lakes , Illinois back in 1994 .Iv'e eaten it here in Florida and not sure how it compares .

Old 06-08-2016, 09:09 PM

No, no, I was making a joke about "ray's" (I think I was)?! I've eaten at lots of them, one of my first regulars. I liked them. They looked and smelled like generic pizza parlors, which they were, but you didn't have to work like an hour at work to afford a pie (small one at that!) (and for some people a slice!!)

Old 06-08-2016, 09:26 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeboy175 View Post
There are many many places to go that are good in NYC or the other borough's . Check out Scott's pizza tours on yelp , located along 244 5th ave , NY , NY 10001 . Also , I remember my Godmother telling me Brooklyn is the best borough for pizza , Italian food . I met her the first time about 5 years ago when visiting and sh'es lived in the Queens area for probably 60 years . Grimaldi's , Di- Fara pizza , and Peppino's are all worth checking out if ever in Brooklyn .
I love that someone is giving pizza tours! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: