Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 AM

341 posts, read 902,345 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to New York in about two weeks. I've already set up appointments to see these apartments. The type of apartments I have been looking at are by owner apartments. My problem is I would like to know how I would be able to verify the person I will be meeting to see these apartments, are the actual owners. How would I go about doing such?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,285 times
condo, coop, or apartment building?

It's quite easy to verify ownership for apartment buildings (rentals), houses or condos in NYC. Coops are somewhat difficult to confirm

let me know which one and i'll give you a hand.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM

341 posts, read 902,345 times
The type of places I am looking into are apartment buildings.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:46 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
You can search the City of New York's official real estate records at this site:

ACRIS Main Options

To find a property, you have to first click on "Find Addresses and Parcels". After entering the address, it will return the block and lot number, then you can click on "Document Search by BBL", accept the defaults and you will see a list of documents related to the property's entire history. You can even see scanned images of the deeds, mortgage records, etc.

This will also tell you how much the owner paid for the property, the amount of the mortgage and if the owner has had any tax problems with property.

This works well with homes and condos. However, as BK2Westchester said, co-ops are harder because the units are not owned by individuals.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 AM

40 posts, read 89,725 times
I was actually asked the same thing and I didn't know the answer so I did a search that brought me here. To anyone reading this thread ACRIS will only allow you to search public property records for Manhattan, Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn. If you are looking in Nassau, Suffolk County or upstate then property info won't be available through ACRIS.

What I found out is that you can use an online database that will search just about anywhere New York, NYC Public Property Records Search

Just read everything carefully and make sure you spell the address street name correctly and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: